Meanwhile, in Texas

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Meanwhile, in Texas

Post by Josh »

Strangely enough, I have entered other countries via an orderly schedule, such as arrival via train or airplane which (presumably) follows a schedule.

For vehicle or pedestrian arrivals, the border post often functions as a chokepoint and thus you avoid going when it is too busy to accommodate you.
So, no, this statement is inaccurate:
People aren't machines. They are not trains. You can't schedule immigrants to come and go when you want them to
You must certainly can. You simply say, "There are X number of slots for immigrant arrivals on this day." And that's it.
2 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Szdfan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:26 am
temporal1 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:53 am No excuse for U.S. borders and immigration not to be a well-oiled operating machine. (Like punctual trains in Switzerland.)
People aren't machines. They are not trains. You can't schedule immigrants to come and go when you want them to
Well you can’t if you are incompetent at running things.

We aren’t talking about a genocide or war happening right across the border that is driving terrified people stampeding for their lives.
1 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

RZehr wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:18 am
temporal1 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:53 am No excuse for U.S. borders and immigration not to be a well-oiled operating machine. (Like punctual trains in Switzerland.)

We aren’t talking about a genocide or war happening right across the border that is driving terrified people stampeding for their lives.
But we are talking about people who are desperate and are willing to face enormous risks to come into this country. I think that as long as there is such a discrepancy between wealthy countries and poor countries, there's going to be illegal immigration. I think a huge problem is that our immigration system is completely overwhelmed and neither party is willing to put in the resources to process these immigrants efficiently.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Szdfan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:45 am

But we are talking about people who are desperate and are willing to face enormous risks to come into this country. I think that as long as there is such a discrepancy between wealthy countries and poor countries, there's going to be illegal immigration. I think a huge problem is that our immigration system is completely overwhelmed and neither party is willing to put in the resources to process these immigrants efficiently.
For what it’s worth, you are sort of sounding a bit like the 2nd Amendment folks. They say that even though the rest of the worlds data shows that they can achieve less shootings with gun control it couldn’t possibly work here.

Likewise, other countries are able to facilitate immigration with order. But it couldn’t possibly work here?
1 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

RZehr wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:57 am

For what it’s worth, you are sort of sounding a bit like the 2nd Amendment folks. They say that even though the rest of the worlds data shows that they can achieve less shootings with gun control it couldn’t possibly work here.
I'm not sure what I'm saying is really like the 2nd Amendment folks. I just don't think that there aren't any easy solutions -- I don't think a wall, for example, will solve the problem. Desperate people will find other, more dangerous ways of getting into the country. The high probability of drowning, for example, hasn't stopped immigrants from North Africa attempting to cross the Mediterranean to get into Europe.

I'm also concerned whether the practices used to keep people out are humane or not. There have been multiple reports of illegal immigrants drowning in the Rio Grande River because of the floating barriers erected by the state of Texas.
Likewise, other countries are able to facilitate immigration with order. But it couldn’t possibly work here?
A couple of responses --

1) A lot of other countries have smaller borders, which makes them easier to manage. The US border with Mexico is 1900 miles. The EU border with Russia is 1400 miles, but has five different countries -- Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Poland.

2) Legal and illegal immigration is also a big controversy in a lot of countries. It's a major issue in Europe. In Germany, the far-right, xenophobic ARD party emerged largely in response to immigration. There's an ongoing border crisis between Poland and Belarus in which Belarussian dictator Alexander Lukashenko has tried to intentionally flood the EU with migrants from North Africa and the Middle East as a form of "hybrid warfare."
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Szdfan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:25 amI just don't think that there aren't any easy solutions -- I don't think a wall, for example, will solve the problem. Desperate people will find other, more dangerous ways of getting into the country. The high probability of drowning, for example, hasn't stopped immigrants from North Africa attempting to cross the Mediterranean to get into Europe.
If there stopped being any benefit to trying to illegally migrate, then the dangerous border crossings would stop.
I'm also concerned whether the practices used to keep people out are humane or not. There have been multiple reports of illegal immigrants drowning in the Rio Grande River because of the floating barriers erected by the state of Texas.
Then the solution is for the would-be migrants to stop trying to illegally enter the Rio Grande.
2 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Would you agree with me then, that it's most likely not a situation where immigrants can't be processed efficiently and in an orderly way, but that the government is not willing to do so? Sort of like Switzerland is able to run its trains on schedule but NY City won't.
1 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:32 pm

Would you agree with me then, that it's most likely not a situation where immigrants can't be processed efficiently and in an orderly way, but that the government is not willing to do so? Sort of like Switzerland is able to run its trains on schedule but NY City won't.
I think it's partly a situation where neither party wants to spend the money and resources to process immigrants efficiently in the same way NYC might not want to spend the resources it has to in order run its public transit on time. I also think that it's a situation where even illegal immigrants have rights once they enter the country and can't under international law be deported as quickly as some people want them to.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Josh wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:30 am
Szdfan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:25 amI just don't think that there aren't any easy solutions -- I don't think a wall, for example, will solve the problem. Desperate people will find other, more dangerous ways of getting into the country. The high probability of drowning, for example, hasn't stopped immigrants from North Africa attempting to cross the Mediterranean to get into Europe.
If there stopped being any benefit to trying to illegally migrate, then the dangerous border crossings would stop.
Then the solution is for the would-be migrants to stop trying to illegally enter the Rio Grande.
Immigration can, and should be, under control and scrutiny. It is not just the innocent who seek better jobs but there are criminals fleeing the law in other countries as well as those who would be engaged in terrorism. As has been mentioned, there is no war from which these indivduals are fleeing.

Frankly I see open borders not just as a part of the problem of violence, but rather it is promoted by those seeking to exploit a cheap labor force. That kind of human exploitation has been derided both Biblically and civilly.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

The well-oiled machine that’s been created is that of cartels and activists working together to exploit migrants in some of the most egregious ways, now a multi-billion dollar industry, rarely recognized as it chugs along under the radar of people fighting each other, claiming heartlessness and racism.

This infighting is so much fun, nothing changes for the better - except for cartels+others who will not easily change their ways.

Nov 2023 / Remittances to Latin America and the Caribbean Set a New Record - $$$$
https://www.iadb.org/en/news/remittance ... new-record

This is in addition to U.S. Foreign Aid, which Honduras Keiser has described as not getting where intended, his recommendation is to end it. Again, cartels win, under the radar, while good people argue and point fingers.

imho, U.S. immigration should be EASILY UNDERSTOOD by all, and running efficiently, without confusion to any.
There should be no temptation for men-women-children to risk life+limb as has been happening - all my life.

It’s shameful. Politicians play dumb. Cartels won’t voluntarily give it up.

Now that city folk (who never before paid attention) are feeling the border pain, it appears many are rethinking their votes.
They didn’t think about what they were voting for, that’s clear by their response.

“We didn’t ask for this!” Well. Yes, you did.

All countries have some form of border control, immigration policies, etc.
The U.S. has no valid excuse to have allowed this to go on.

Above all, it’s not humane.

Cartels LOVE it. $$$$
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN