Canada "emergency use": democratic or not?

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Canada "emergency use": democratic or not?

Post by Ken »

Signtist wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:23 pm There are 145,000 for hire trucking companies in Canada. CTA represents 4,500 Companies, Owner Operators and Suppliers.
Other Canadian trucking groups also disapprove. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... -protests/
Teamsters Canada, a union that represents 15,000 long-haul truck drivers, called the convoy a “despicable display of hate lead by the political Right and shamefully encouraged by elected conservative politicians.”

The movement “does not reflect the values of Teamsters Canada, nor the vast majority of our members, and in fact has served to delegitimize the real concerns of most truck drivers today,” the union said in a statement last week.
also...
“There is a vocal minority, which is trying to steal the headlines, but a silent majority has actually been working day and night,” said Manan Gupta, publisher of Road Today, a Canadian magazine for South Asian truckers. About a third of Canada’s roughly 180,000 tractor-trailer drivers are immigrants, according to the most recent survey, in 2016.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:16 pm
Signtist wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:23 pm There are 145,000 for hire trucking companies in Canada. CTA represents 4,500 Companies, Owner Operators and Suppliers.
Other Canadian trucking groups also disapprove. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... -protests/
Teamsters Canada, a union that represents 15,000 long-haul truck drivers, called the convoy a “despicable display of hate lead by the political Right and shamefully encouraged by elected conservative politicians.”

The movement “does not reflect the values of Teamsters Canada, nor the vast majority of our members, and in fact has served to delegitimize the real concerns of most truck drivers today,” the union said in a statement last week.
also...
“There is a vocal minority, which is trying to steal the headlines, but a silent majority has actually been working day and night,” said Manan Gupta, publisher of Road Today, a Canadian magazine for South Asian truckers. About a third of Canada’s roughly 180,000 tractor-trailer drivers are immigrants, according to the most recent survey, in 2016.
In terms of numbers, how many of any given group, ever actually protest? I don’t think the only way to gauge support or sympathy, is what a few well connected trade groups say in public. I’d be curious what percent of Canadian truck drivers would say.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

2 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

If the Canadian trucking associations are at all like many of the US trucking associations, the likelihood of political statements by the top brass accurately reflecting the political viewpoint of the drivers employed by the companies supposedly "represented" is random chance.
2 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

silentreader wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:00 pm Here is a reality.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... t-protests
Exactly right. The hypocrisy and bias is unreal.
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

The "Americanization" of Canada seems to be proceeding apace. I feel for you folks who have to put up with the behemoth at your southern border

and...

1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:59 pm
Signtist wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:42 pm I am an "idle bystander", for the most part.
But I have watched and seen things, even if from afar, that I don't expect an American to have seen much less understood.

Robert is doing a fantastic job of making me feel less like the odd man out.
I'd say we could do worse than make him an honourary Canadian!
:D
as for informing, hillperson has done well, too. don’t ignore the quiet ones. big mistake. :P

we in the U.S. are desperately ignorant of other countries! i mourn this, i see no reasonable excuse for it.
this forum has a surprising population of Canadians. helpful. i value them.

i value voices from outside the states, esp on this forum, with common interest in exploring authentic Christian faith found here.

i’m hoping, for the longer term, these everyday, working men in Canada will have a positive ripple effect on men everywhere, about the importance of being a man, for one thing; of being community and family oriented, being responsible to their wives+children. seeking faith in Jesus Christ. (this is “preaching to the choir” on this forum) but, in the world, o.my, what a dreadful hurting mess.

i wish them well. i wish Canada well. i pray godless empty-headed (misguided) leaders will be guided onto better paths.

i see no reasonable excuse for overall U.S. ignorance, but i lay a goodly portion of it at the feet of the U.S. DOE.
social media has put DOE failures on the world’s stage.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:11 pmwe in the U.S. are desperately ignorant of other countries! i mourn this, i see no reasonable excuse for it.
this forum has a surprising population of Canadians. helpful. i value them.
I have this same conversation with my Chilean in-laws. In point of fact, most people are pretty ignorant of the rest of the world, not just Americans.
'
When my Chilean in-laws criticize Americans for being ignorant of Chilean affairs, a criticism I hear often. I ask them how much they as Chileans know about the affairs of Romania, Malawi, and Kazakhstan. Which are the three countries closest to Chile in population. I always get blank stares.

Of course Americans should know a lot more about Canada and Mexico as they are our two neighbors and closest trading partners. No excuse for that. Especially Mexico.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

The name of this thread takes for granted that Canada is a democracy where people can decide what rights they have. Is this so? As I recall a representative from the queen must sign legislation before it becomes official.
0 x