Targets in Syria and Iraq

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Targets in Syria and Iraq

Post by temporal1 »

Grace wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:29 pm
RZehr post_id=220041 time=1706992719 user_id=64] I agree that the killing if Soleimani was a surprise and a shocking move. So there is that.

On the other hand, listening to Republicans and Trump on Ukraine? Vs. Biden? Complete opposite. Seems like Trump would have rolled right on over and let Russia take Ukraine. He might not have if he was in office. He may be ramping up his rhetoric just because it is a tool to criticize the incumbent he wishes to replace. Nonetheless, Ukraine is a big deal, and in the face of it, Biden seems to be more willing to wield the sword than Trump sounds like.
If Trump would be president, Russia probably would not have attack Ukraine. In the end Russia will take Ukraine anyway.
i expect Z has been getting a hard lesson in how fickle politicians+media can be - esp since Oct 7.
His 15 minutes .. faded.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Grace wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:29 pm
RZehr post_id=220041 time=1706992719 user_id=64]

I agree that the killing if Soleimani was a surprise and a shocking move. So there is that.

On the other hand, listening to Republicans and Trump on Ukraine? Vs. Biden? Complete opposite. Seems like Trump would have rolled right on over and let Russia take Ukraine. He might not have if he was in office. He may be ramping up his rhetoric just because it is a tool to criticize the incumbent he wishes to replace. Nonetheless, Ukraine is a big deal, and in the face of it, Biden seems to be more willing to wield the sword than Trump sounds like.
If Trump would be president, Russia probably would not have attack Ukraine. In the end Russia will take Ukraine anyway.
Possibly so.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

It's not clear to me Putin harbors fear for president Trump. He trolled P. Trump on an official visit by replacing his translators with supermodels. I think that symbolizes contempt not fear or respect.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

barnhart wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:05 am It's not clear to me Putin harbors fear for president Trump. He trolled P. Trump on an official visit by replacing his translators with supermodels. I think that symbolizes contempt not fear or respect.
This reflects your sensibilities, not necessarily either Putin’s or DJT’s. i probably have yet another take on it.
In world history, powerful leaders have often offered hedonistic greetings to visiting powerful leaders, in various forms, food, entertainment, acccomodations, gifts, including women/carnal pleasures. Typically the goal is some degree of diplomacy.

Our opinions don’t much matter.
It’s what Putin+DJT (and Melania) understood that matters. Everything else is speculation.

The thing with diplomacy is, it’s not about adversaries “liking” each other.
It’s about achieving mutual tolerance IN SPITE OF dislike.

2018 / P.1 / Good Things .. viewtopic.php?t=1343
Dan Z wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:33 pm I’ve said this before- but I think his aggressive and unpredictable negotiating style may advantage him with dictators and autocrats -
like Kim Jong Un, over and against more diplomatic and placating presidents like Obama.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN