Bud Light

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Bud Light

Post by Josh »

The joke is that Bud Light is like tripping in a canoe: dangerously close to water.
2 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:11 pm The joke is that Bud Light is like tripping in a canoe: dangerously close to water.
There is a few versions of that joke ;)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:11 pm The joke is that Bud Light is like tripping in a canoe: dangerously close to water.
Exactly. Cold water can be refreshing. This beer has little alcohol, few calories, and is almost tasteless. It wouldn't be a beer for alcoholics.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

JimFoxvog wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:20 pm
Exactly. Cold water can be refreshing. This beer has little alcohol, few calories, and is almost tasteless. It wouldn't be a beer for alcoholics.
Basically what happened in the US is that after 13 years of prohibition (1920 to 1933) when the big brewers resumed commercial operations they found that after 13 years of consisting largely on soft drinks, the American tastes for heavy European-style beers had faded and that lighter crisp beers were more popular, often made with corn and rice rather than heavy malted barley. A lot of states also imposed 4% alcohol limits on beer in the wake of prohibition which also favored weaker Budweiser style beer.

A lot of the US is also a hotter climate than northern Europe and heavy beers just aren't as popular in the summer heat, especially in the south.

So basically for 50 years after prohibition until the microbrewery revolution, light American style beers like Bud, Coors, Miller, etc. were what was legal to make and what was popular.

Most serious alcoholics gravitate towards hard liquor. Easier to down one bottle of scotch versus an entire case of Budweiser.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I know a guy who puts away a 12 pack a night (24 pack on weekends). It’s how he falls asleep. I think he does Busch Light, tho.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:30 pm .. Because I don’t see the right wing as a movement (individuals, sure), actually have much principles that they are grounded in.
The right seems to just be confusedly fighting against change. .. ..

.. But they really don’t seem grounded in truth and God.
So they have very little compelling foundational principles that they can articulate as to why these things ought not happen. .. ..

.. A boycott? When have those worked?
This (loosely) strikes me as “mixing metaphors, or malapropisms.” :P

i don’t see “the right wing” as an organized movement (i think i’m borrowing from Dennis Prager) when i think of conservatives as “non-left” thinkers, which i understand to be UNorganized, comprising of (wildly) diverse people who may have little in common, but still have what they believe to be basic human morality .. with or without being grounded in truth and our Christian God.

The world over, every continent, has much in common when it comes to morality. Reading Neto’s posts reflects it in ways well beyond our everyday western culture ways.

This covers a LOT of (politically) UNorganized people (maybe described by “the moral majority?”) .. the labels cover MANY folks who may be quite organized for other reasons (example, for faith, for work, for family, etc.) but not organized for power+politics.

In my view, the U.S. began unorganized, as a founding goal.
Much because people wanted the freedom to choose “their own” religion (at the time, i believe they were preoccupied with Christianity, Christianity was hotly disputed and fought within). The founders were not focused on freedom of religion for Natives or others. As people do, they focus on themselves; at the time, keeping Christians from killing each other was quite an undertaking.

Quakers were uniquely aware of the humanity of “others” and interested in grasping what that meant. Quakers were persecuted.
How to make room for Quakers in this new experiment?

Later, the notion of deliberate organization for power+politics appeared, powerful lobbies, activists, etc.
It became evident that smaller, organized groups could cooperate to gain power+influence otherwise not possible.
The beginning of minority rule. The majority is to step aside.

(With a catch!) -
once the organized minority crosses the line to somehow grow into a political majority, they immediately flip+cry: majority rules!
without a flash of embarrassment. the unorganized others stand by with “a deer looking into the headlights” response.
“duh, what just happened?!”

No perfect human system. There is a price to being UNorganized. Looking dumb at times is part of it. (In my view) it ‘way beats the alternative. i shudder to think the U.S. would devolve into 2 organized opposites, this would remove any hope of an alternative.
(which career/legacy/uniparty) already threaten. 1 party masquerading as 2, for optics.

Looking dumb at times is better than collectively voting for unrestricted gov sanctioned hedonism, wholesale slaughter of innocents, etc.

In this case, DM is just blatantly obnoxious, that’s his professional goal. i think of him as Richard Simmons Jr.
The same routine, the same schtick. Put him in a pair of gym shorts+tank top - voila’. R Simmons might have grounds for a lawsuit there. i’m guessing, a lot of the boycott hubbub is about rejecting normalization, even profiteering, of overtly obnoxious displays.
A bad vaudeville act.

Lastly, boycotts.
Most “boycotts” aren’t public scandals. Consumers either buy or not, this determines the market. It’s basic.
Products and even entire businesses quietly come+go.

Government is different. Government funds as it chooses, without worry about fiscal accountability.
Government, lobbies, activists, organized blocs, now have untold power through corporations being primarily involved in social justice engineering EXPERIMENTS - evidently, more important than profits.

i’d prefer corporations and billionaires return to being about profits, divorce themselves from political activism.
domestically and internationally.

i’m not sensing this particular boycott is an organized movement, there may be/probably are, groups within.
a whole lot of otherwise unconnected consumers seem to be saying, “no thanks.”
i don’t see an organized entity in it. the umbrella likely includes some political people. the public should resist allowing politics to co-opt everything. “the public,” that’s on us, too.

i’ve lived decades without buying beer. (and, i had no interest in Richard Simmons the-first-time.) :mrgreen:
i feel sorry for Richard Simmons. i sense a pretty sad guy. DM seems to be a profiteer.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

“non-left” thinkers,
^^ i think this was Dennis Prager.

it succinctly sums up how i view most in the U.S.
there’s the noisy organized left, an important part of their organized goal is to-be-noisy .. then, everybody else.
“everybody else” are the diverse others who never show up in headlines, those who do the work of keeping the world turning.

the boring unorganized majority.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

This story just will not end.

0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:18 pm
There is a few versions of that joke ;)
A friend of mine sent a sample to a lab. The report came back with some sad news: they said his horse is terminally ill. :mrgreen:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Robert wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:29 am This story just will not end.

Oh, Ted… :roll:
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford