Major attack on Israel by Hamas

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Major attack on Israel by Hamas

Post by Josh »

These type of guys call for this sort of thing all the time.

Of note is that Syria, Iran, Lebanon have been doing nothing and not getting involved. Nor has the rest of the anti-Israel (or anti-U.S.) contingent. Nobody really wants to be part of this fight.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:00 pm Did I read this right?
They are advising the public to STAY HOME Friday, Ovt. 13?
Because of worldwide Jihad?? Sounds somewhat setious!

In the BPR report:
.. Reacting to the message from Hamas, podcast host Joey Mannarino and others voiced their concern for the public and warned against leaving home on Friday should the threat prove more than bluster from the radical militants.

“The leader of Hamas just called for a Global Day of Jihad this Friday. Do not leave your homes that day unless there is an emergency,” wrote Mannarino. “Avoid public transit. Avoid airplanes. Avoid public events.” ..

i don’t know what to make of it, either .. the vast majority of terrorist attacks are NOT announced, and attack the defenseless.

i have close family living in a strongly Jewish community, i asked what they’re seeing/hearing? “Nothing. Weirdly quiet.”
(probably not quiet at home!)

This brings back unhappy memories of sleeper cells and random attacks, the start of Homeland Security, the shoe bomber, the train in London, etc.

Attacks that defy large organized militaries, in fact, militaries can be attacked! - USS Cole, and military bases.
Josh wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:25 pm These type of guys call for this sort of thing all the time.

Of note is that Syria, Iran, Lebanon have been doing nothing and not getting involved. Nor has the rest of the anti-Israel (or anti-U.S.) contingent. Nobody really wants to be part of this fight.
i think so. i hope so.
things are ramped up right now - as intended.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Josh wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:59 pm
RZehr wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:55 pm I think we can easily separate in our minds the innocent Gaza civilians from Hamas, particularly if we use a mere ounce of effort. I think everyone can do that.
A lot of people are failing to do so, and think collective punishment (which is a war crime) is somehow OK.
However: If you read comments online, you may very quickly see how many people commenting have, at best, little sympathy for the people of Gaza because they allow Hamas to rule; and some go further and will lay some responsibility for these atrocities at the feet of the 50% of the people who voted for Hamas.
Yes, which is barbaric and inhumane. In particular, children don’t vote.
I disagree. I don't think it's barbaric, rather it's perfectly logical. If I vote for a pro-abortionist candidate who shepherds into law, the legalization of abortion without limits; I, in some small way, have had a part to play in that. I have blood on my hands. That's in part, my rationale for not voting. Germans that supported the Nazis, were in some way morally complicit in the atrocities the Nazis committed. What's more, the retribution delivered to the Nazis and those that supported them, while perhaps disproportionate at times, was nevertheless a natural outcome of supporting and engaging in moral horrors. Those Gazans that support Hamas, have Israeli/Jewish blood on their hands. I don't wish them to be killed - but a clear-eyed analysis must admit that their support for monstrous actors has natural consequences.

As for the Israeli response: Collateral Damage is not the same as Collective Retribution. Hamas is engaged in the later whilst Israel in the former. Max has already pointed out that Israel "knocks" before bombing, an unreciprocated courtesy. It should be noted though that they bomb because they need to end the threat of Hamas - which exists to kills Jews and annihilate Israel. Israel, by contrast does not desire the end of Gaza or Palestinians, exemplified by their unilateral departure in 2005. It should also be noted that Palestinian children wouldn't be dying in such large numbers if Hamas didn't locate their headquarters, rocket launchers and munitions piles in hospitals, next to schools, and inside apartment complexes.
2 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I think this is making a very salient point. But I don’t see it applying to our resident liberals here, nor to our conservatives here who point out the tragedy from the Palestinian perspective.

Silence does not ordinarily imply complicity. But what if you are one of those people who jumps on every bandwagon and keeps adding flags, logos and messages of support to your Facebook or TikTok page, but had nothing to say about a genocidal attack on Jews, no unequivocal support to proffer to Israel, no interest in properly condemning Hamas? What if you posted Slava Ukraini on your profile, put up a poster for BLM in your front window, and keep spamming your WhatsApp neighbourhood group with political messaging, but cannot conceive of tweeting Am Yisrael Chai?

Are you scared of retribution, and if so what does that tell us about extremism in Britain, the failure of integration and the police’s lack of commitment to upholding the same law for all? Or do you think that Israel got what it deserved, and does that not make you an anti-Semite? Or is it because you believe the world’s only Jewish state to be so powerful as to not need support, and you have therefore, inadvertently, internalised another anti-Semitic trope? Do you think that 7.2 million Jews, far fewer than London’s population, surrounded by fanatics armed with 150,000 missiles, threatened by a quasi-nuclear Iran that swears to destroy them, don’t deserve sympathy?

Genocide is the act of deliberately killing large numbers of people from a nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying it. Hamas has committed an act of genocide, a crime against humanity, against the Jewish people and Israel: anybody who cannot see this has lost all sense of right and wrong.

If anything, describing Hamas as “terrorist” is too soft: they are war criminals, more akin to Islamic State and the Khmer Rouge than al-Qaeda or the IRA. They massacred over 1,000 men, women, children and babies, shooting them and burning them alive, injuring thousands of others, raping dozens and kidnapping scores. They would have killed far more had they not belatedly been neutralised.

Almost uniquely, comparisons with the Nazis are the most appropriate historic parallel. Hamas are Nazis, with the same aim: they want to ethnically cleanse the region of Jews from the Jordan river to the Mediterranean sea. Hamas’s 1988 Charter calls for the total eradication of Israel, its replacement by an Islamist state and cites approvingly The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, a gross anti-Semitic forgery also endorsed in Mein Kampf.

So why is it being said, increasingly loudly already, that there is some sort of moral equivalence between the deaths caused by genocidal murderers, and those caused in the act of seeking to prevent further attacks and to remove an evil regime? Countries must minimise civilian casualties, all of which are deplorable, but, as Israel marches into Gaza, some will be just as inevitable as they were when the Allies fought the Nazis all the way to the heart of Germany. Hamas caused this war, and places its army in civilian locations: it is a criminal regime and bears ultimate responsibility for every life lost.

The BBC’s moral void is heartbreaking. It is our country’s supposed conscience, and yet it won’t even describe Hamas as terrorists, despite it being their official designation by the British state. Would today’s BBC have described the original Nazis as “militants”? Would it have described the Waffen SS as “fighters”? Did the BBC remain “impartial” after the horrible murder of George Floyd?

Why, but why, is a massacre of Israeli Jews at the hands of anti-Semitic jihadists so different? By disgracefully refusing to describe Hamas as terrorists, the BBC’s pseudo-“impartiality” makes it in fact scandalously biased against Israel: it downplays Hamas’s crimes, creates a fake equivalence between the two sides, and taints the Israeli response.

We also now know what many proponents of woke Critical Race Theory truly believe. UK Black Lives Matter retweeted approvingly a picture of the terrorist bulldozer smashing down the Israeli fence, an attack on the Balfour declaration and messages blaming Israel. It rejected David Lammy’s condemnation of Hamas, and retweeted “‘Black lives matter’ and ‘I stand with Israel’ are two things that can’t coexist.” Chicago BLM tweeted an image of the terrorists entering Israel on a paraglider.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bbc-black-li ... 22989.html
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:25 pm These type of guys call for this sort of thing all the time.

Incorrect. Hezbollah (Lebanon) has been attacking from the north in support of Hamas. This is from one hour ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/11/worl ... hamas.html
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:31 pm I disagree. I don't think it's barbaric, rather it's perfectly logical. If I vote for a pro-abortionist candidate who shepherds into law, the legalization of abortion without limits; I, in some small way, have had a part to play in that. I have blood on my hands. That's in part, my rationale for not voting. Germans that supported the Nazis, were in some way morally complicit in the atrocities the Nazis committed. What's more, the retribution delivered to the Nazis and those that supported them, while perhaps disproportionate at times, was nevertheless a natural outcome of supporting and engaging in moral horrors. Those Gazans that support Hamas, have Israeli/Jewish blood on their hands. I don't wish them to be killed - but a clear-eyed analysis must admit that their support for monstrous actors has natural consequences.
What about the 49.9% of Gazans that didn't support Hamas?

The last election was in 2006. Does it seem appropriate to punish people today for an election that happened 17 years ago?
As for the Israeli response: Collateral Damage is not the same as Collective Retribution. Hamas is engaged in the later whilst Israel in the former. Max has already pointed out that Israel "knocks" before bombing, an unreciprocated courtesy. It should be noted though that they bomb because they need to end the threat of Hamas - which exists to kills Jews and annihilate Israel. Israel, by contrast does not desire the end of Gaza or Palestinians, exemplified by their unilateral departure in 2005.
Putting a city under siege is indeed "collective punishment", and Gaza has been under siege now for 18 years.
It should also be noted that Palestinian children wouldn't be dying in such large numbers if Hamas didn't locate their headquarters, rocket launchers and munitions piles in hospitals, next to schools, and inside apartment complexes.
Does that make it somehow okay to kill babies and children?
1 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:31 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:59 pm
RZehr wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:55 pm I think we can easily separate in our minds the innocent Gaza civilians from Hamas, particularly if we use a mere ounce of effort. I think everyone can do that.
A lot of people are failing to do so, and think collective punishment (which is a war crime) is somehow OK.
However: If you read comments online, you may very quickly see how many people commenting have, at best, little sympathy for the people of Gaza because they allow Hamas to rule; and some go further and will lay some responsibility for these atrocities at the feet of the 50% of the people who voted for Hamas.
Yes, which is barbaric and inhumane. In particular, children don’t vote.
I disagree. I don't think it's barbaric, rather it's perfectly logical. If I vote for a pro-abortionist candidate who shepherds into law, the legalization of abortion without limits; I, in some small way, have had a part to play in that. I have blood on my hands. That's in part, my rationale for not voting. Germans that supported the Nazis, were in some way morally complicit in the atrocities the Nazis committed. What's more, the retribution delivered to the Nazis and those that supported them, while perhaps disproportionate at times, was nevertheless a natural outcome of supporting and engaging in moral horrors. Those Gazans that support Hamas, have Israeli/Jewish blood on their hands. I don't wish them to be killed - but a clear-eyed analysis must admit that their support for monstrous actors has natural consequences.

As for the Israeli response: Collateral Damage is not the same as Collective Retribution. Hamas is engaged in the later whilst Israel in the former. Max has already pointed out that Israel "knocks" before bombing, an unreciprocated courtesy. It should be noted though that they bomb because they need to end the threat of Hamas - which exists to kills Jews and annihilate Israel. Israel, by contrast does not desire the end of Gaza or Palestinians, exemplified by their unilateral departure in 2005. It should also be noted that Palestinian children wouldn't be dying in such large numbers if Hamas didn't locate their headquarters, rocket launchers and munitions piles in hospitals, next to schools, and inside apartment complexes.
What he said....
3 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

temporal1 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:09 pm Report: Hamas calls for global Jihad, invasion of Israel, attack Jews worldwide on Oct. 13
https://americanmilitarynews.com/2023/1 ... on-oct-13/

‘A day for sacrifice, heroism, and dedication’: Hamas calls for world-wide ‘general mobilization’ on Friday
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2023/10/11 ... y-1403389/

Biden admin, world leaders stripped reference to Iran from Hamas condemnation: Report
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2023/10/11 ... bvFYBmpSp4
Don't you expect this? Israel tried to assassinate him some 25 years ago. This was done by two Mossad agents traveling on fake Canadian passports. The regular cops picked them up, they called the Canadian embassy which confirmed the passports were fake. This makes them stateless, and without any protection. They promptly revealed who sent them there. Turns out it was Netanyahu himself. King Hussain drove a hard bargain , he COULD have ordered them hung as spies.

It happened on Jebel Hussain, when we lived in Jordan. About 3 blocks from our apartment.Needless to say the street was not pleased. There was a huge demonstration, and had the police not stopped them, they would likely have dismantled the Israeli embassy brick by brick, they had just signed the peace treaty with Israel.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/begging-r ... years-ago/
Last edited by Judas Maccabeus on Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:36 pm

Incorrect. Hezbollah (Lebanon) has been attacking from the north in support of Hamas. This is from one hour ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/11/worl ... hamas.html
May not be Hezbollah. There are a multitude of armed factions in Lebanon that could pull this off. Personally I would suspect PFLP, or similar rejectionist factions. All they seem to be doing is lobbing occasional Katushas. If Hezbollah really WANTED to attack, you would expect far more than this.
0 x
:hug:
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:49 pm Don't you expect this? ..
i expect it and dread it.
even without your context.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN