Bud Light

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Bud Light

Post by RZehr »

Few days ago, tragically, a 17 year old was killed in an automobile accident. Drifted across the line, and was hit almost head on. No beer or drugs.
I don’t know where he was going or coming from, but I think he was working for a farmer. He may have been heading home.
I suppose if more young people just sit in their houses and fiddle with computers and phones, instead of being out working a job, they are “safer”.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

When I saw this headline, I assumed they were selling Bud Light. But no, they are selling some other little brands to a Canadian company.
Anheuser-Busch is selling 8 of its beloved brands as Bud Light drama plagues its business

https://www.thestreet.com/restaurants/a ... _ven=YAHOO
Seems to me that like they would sell the Bud Light brand. But what do I know.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Meanwhile, in terms of popularity (based on a survey), Bud Light now is sitting at #15.
https://today.yougov.com/ratings/consum ... /beers/all
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

So it is OK to try and destroy one business (Bud Light) over LGBT culture war issues, but not OK to try and destroy another business (say a wedding cake shop) over the same LGBT culture war issues?

I frankly don't care about either one. I don't drink Bud and I don't shop at wedding cake stores. But it is hard to keep it all straight.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

How is it “destroying a business” to decide not to buy someone’s products anymore because you don’t appreciate how they chose to market them?
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:00 pm So it is OK to try and destroy one business (Bud Light) over LGBT culture war issues, but not OK to try and destroy another business (say a wedding cake shop) over the same LGBT culture war issues?

I frankly don't care about either one. I don't drink Bud and I don't shop at wedding cake stores. But it is hard to keep it all straight.

It’s really very simple, choosing not to shop is acceptable. Choosing to sue someone for refusing to decorate your cake a certain way is not.
This person could have chosen to boycott the cake baker and call on his friends to do the same.
I’m not going to buy beer, and I’m not going to sue them if they won’t label my beer as “made by straight people“
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:08 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:00 pm So it is OK to try and destroy one business (Bud Light) over LGBT culture war issues, but not OK to try and destroy another business (say a wedding cake shop) over the same LGBT culture war issues?

It’s really very simple, choosing not to shop is acceptable. Choosing to sue someone for refusing to decorate your cake a certain way is not.
This person could have chosen to boycott the cake baker and call on his friends to do the same.
I’m not going to buy beer, and I’m not going to sue them if they won’t label my beer as “made by straight people“
I'm not talking about suing a cake shop. I'm talking about whipping up a campaign of negative Google and Yelp reviews, protests, and boycotts, which is exactly what happened. Activists tried to drive it out of business and succeeded. At least the one down in Oregon. https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/todds-a ... s-protests
A family-owned Christian bakery, under investigation for refusing to bake a wedding cake for a lesbian couple, has been forced to close its doors after a vicious boycott by militant homosexual activists.

Sweet Cakes By Melissa posted a message on its Facebook page alerting customers that their Gresham, Ore. retail store would be shut down after months of harassment from pro-gay marriage forces.

“Better is a poor man who walks in integrity than a rich man who is crooked in his ways,” read a posting from Proverbs on the bakery’s Facebook page.

“It’s a sad day for Christian business owners and it’s a sad day for the First Amendment,” owner Aaron Klein told me. “The LGBT attacks are the reason we are shutting down the shop. They have killed our business through mob tactics.”
Is that the same or different from what is happening to Bud Light?
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:27 pm
Soloist wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:08 pm

I'm not talking about suing a cake shop. I'm talking about whipping up a campaign of negative Google and Yelp reviews, protests, and boycotts, which is exactly what happened. Activists tried to drive it out of business and succeeded. At least the one down in Oregon. https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/todds-a ... s-protests
A family-owned Christian bakery, under investigation for refusing to bake a wedding cake for a lesbian couple, has been forced to close its doors after a vicious boycott by militant homosexual activists.

Sweet Cakes By Melissa posted a message on its Facebook page alerting customers that their Gresham, Ore. retail store would be shut down after months of harassment from pro-gay marriage forces.

“Better is a poor man who walks in integrity than a rich man who is crooked in his ways,” read a posting from Proverbs on the bakery’s Facebook page.

“It’s a sad day for Christian business owners and it’s a sad day for the First Amendment,” owner Aaron Klein told me. “The LGBT attacks are the reason we are shutting down the shop. They have killed our business through mob tactics.”
Is that the same or different from what is happening to Bud Light?
It's similar. But we - Plain people - are not the ones "whipping" it up (this thread not withstanding). I find this particular issue fascinating, not because I am a fervent Bud Light drinker, but because this case is such an outlier in terms of cancel culture, due to it's success, and due to it being a conservative action instead of a liberal action.

We Plain people are interested in cases such as this because we are in business, and we hold values that are now at loggerheads with societies values. So we pay attention, because we think that sooner or later it will come for us.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Life can be hard. Just keep trying, you might learn how to keep it all straight. :)

One is a massive $100+ billion, foreign multinational corporation, the largest beer company in the world, that sells beer to drunkards. Customers are freely choosing not to buy from them.

The other is a small, local, family owned business that is selling cake to people who are getting married instead of living in fornication. Customers were suing them for $150,000 in order to force them to say things that they didn't want to say.
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:49 pm

Life can be hard. Just keep trying, you might learn how to keep it all straight. :)

One is a massive $100+ billion, foreign multinational corporation, the largest beer company in the world, that sells beer to drunkards. Customers are freely choosing not to buy from them.

The other is a small, local, family owned business that is selling cake to people who are getting married instead of living in fornication. Customers were suing them for $150,000 in order to force them to say things that they didn't want to say.
So it’s just a matter of scale then?

I honestly don’t care either way.
0 x