Poll: Personal Coronavirus Permanent Impact

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

I, or someone I’m close to will be hospitalized.

Total votes: 0

Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Poll: Personal Coronavirus Permanent Impact

Post by Valerie »

I originally voted #9. Admittedly, the timing- I thought it to be very much a political move. (so shoot me, oh wait- non-resistance!)

The Poll was personal- Personally I have a very strong immune system, thanks be to God & I do believe in taking supplements. So I tend to not catch what's going around anyway, I'm constantly exposed to sick people.
My husband on the other hand, a kidney & pancreas transplant recipient, has a 'suppressed' immune system. He would be in the risk category, he's now 63. But- he started taking a supplement called Thymex over 3 years ago and has not even been sick once, nor had his usual 2x a year seasonal allergy turn sinusitis infection either. That being said I of course felt protective over him. My mother has asthma- but she is careful and she takes supplements as well and is pretty healthy at age 83. These would have been my 'personal' concerns- Still- at the time of this poll I felt this was exaggerated for political reasons. I still to do a point- although I do believe the virus is real and or some, for whatever reason, can be deadly. For some, the flu or pneumonia can be deadly as well. Every year I hear the reports of hospitals full of flu patients. My pharmacist said deaths in OH are 'down' from last years numbers.

So would I change my #9 original vote? We lost a friend to Covid BUT he had other issues- he was older- he would have been in the high risk category for Covid, as he would have been for catching other things like flu or pneumonia. So I'm not sure- why the healthy ones that are young like Grace mentioned are a month later still on oxygen is perplexing. It sure isn't 'common' but it is possible.

My sister was really sick one day- she had severe headache & throwing up (typical for my family, those kind of headaches we all dealt with) but she also had 'chills' so she went to get tested. She took the rapid test & 2 day test at the same time. The rapid test, was positive for Covid. The 2 day, came back negative. The next day she was perfectly fine so she still feels she probably didn't really have it. But she had to quarantine & so did her husband & daughter- they both tested negative so they couldn't be around my sister for almost 2 weeks, even though she 'probably' didn't really have it.

I have heard some customers share they lost someone, and so I do realize, like many other diseases, virus' infections, etc- that some will succumb. So I am not sure if I would change my answer- if our friend that passed only had Covid, and no other issues, I could blame Covid. Then I'd need to change my answer.

They say most people that have died from it were deficient in Vitamin D- I do take D3 & have for years- it's recommended to take D3, Zinc, C- I'm fascinated about our immune system- it's a worthy study.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

It would be interesting if this were a graph, showing the changes over time since this poll started. I had never responded to this - cannot recall having seen it. But now not only have I had a person close to me who died as a result of complications brought on by this virus, but a number of other family members have been hospitalized for it.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
TruthSeeker
Affiliation: Mystic

Post by TruthSeeker »

Valerie wrote: . . . I thought it to be very much a political move . . .
My following inquiry is not specifically directed to Valerie but presented for anyone who cares to answer--

If other countries (unrelated to USA) are experiencing COVID spikes, how has it become a political issue in the mind of some citizens of the US?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

TruthSeeker wrote:
My following inquiry is not specifically directed to Valerie but presented for anyone who cares to answer--

If other countries (unrelated to USA) are experiencing COVID spikes, how has it become a political issue in the mind of some citizens of the US?
A few of the many reasons I think this has become a political issue for many of my neighbors:

Draconian lockdowns and confusing restrictions, rapidly changing restrictions with changes not appearing to be based on data but rather on political connections.

The "do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do" attitude by top officials at both the state and national level, including Dr. Brix, Gov. Newsome, Gov Wolf, Gov Cuomo, and others.

The disconnect between the official story and what we see on the ground. For instance, despite the drumbeat from official sources in this area about potential lack of capacity in area hospitals, our local teaching hospital has never had more than a handful of serious COVID cases at any one time. The folks that work in the hospital get a daily briefing about the active COVID cases in the hospital. The information shared in that briefing simply doesn't support the official narrative.

The recent admission by Dr. Fauci that he's been fudging the numbers based on what he thinks we are willing to hear rather than simply telling us the truth. Dr. Fauci has been heralded by many as a non-political truth-teller. His admission that he's actually just another lying politician hasn't helped anybody gain more confidence in the governmental guidelines.
0 x
TruthSeeker

Post by TruthSeeker »

ken_sylvania wrote:
TruthSeeker wrote:

A few of the many reasons I think this has become a political issue for many of my neighbors:

Draconian lockdowns and confusing restrictions, rapidly changing restrictions with changes not appearing to be based on data but rather on political connections.

The "do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do" attitude by top officials at both the state and national level, including Dr. Brix, Gov. Newsome, Gov Wolf, Gov Cuomo, and others.

The disconnect between the official story and what we see on the ground. For instance, despite the drumbeat from official sources in this area about potential lack of capacity in area hospitals, our local teaching hospital has never had more than a handful of serious COVID cases at any one time. The folks that work in the hospital get a daily briefing about the active COVID cases in the hospital. The information shared in that briefing simply doesn't support the official narrative.

The recent admission by Dr. Fauci that he's been fudging the numbers based on what he thinks we are willing to hear rather than simply telling us the truth. Dr. Fauci has been heralded by many as a non-political truth-teller. His admission that he's actually just another lying politician hasn't helped anybody gain more confidence in the governmental guidelines.
Thanks for taking the effort/time to catalog some of your neighbors' concerns.

Will try to reask my question in a clearer way:
What about the COVID case spikes in other countries? Do folks believe that international cases are solely reported as spiking in order to favor US political agenda?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

TruthSeeker wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
TruthSeeker wrote:

Thanks for taking the effort/time to catalog some of your neighbors' concerns.

Will try to reask my question in a clearer way:
What about the COVID case spikes in other countries? Do folks believe that international cases are solely reported as spiking in order to favor US political agenda?
I haven't spoken with anyone who believes that. The last two months especially I think there's been more-or-less of an acceptance that case numbers are actually high. I don't think folks in this area think COVID is a political fabrication, but rather that they think the severity and response has been politicized.
0 x
TruthSeeker

Post by TruthSeeker »

ken_sylvania wrote: I haven't spoken with anyone who believes that. The last two months especially I think there's been more-or-less of an acceptance that case numbers are actually high. I don't think folks in this area think COVID is a political fabrication, but rather that they think the severity and response has been politicized.
Helpful clarification! . . . Likely I should have made my inquiry in the other coronavirus thread ;)
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

"Men and nations do behave wisely when they have exhausted all other alternatives." - Abba Eban
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

TruthSeeker wrote:

I'm not denying spikes in our country or elsewhere. The survival rate is 99.something% which is much higher than they made it sound in the beginning.
I really cannot compare how it was conveyed elsewhere than it was here.
Perhaps the timing since we were so used to the Left trying to impeach President Trump, and this being an election year the impeachment trial & other attempts weren't the success they hoped so it just seemed to be one more thing- in some ways- they used it against him. Even Jane Fonda said "Covid 19 is God's gift to the Left". What a crazy statement.

Other countries- were they using it against their leader??
I don't know.
They sure were here.
It's too bad the Left has put us in a position to always be waiting for the next attempt to find a way to get rid of President Trump- they have brought on the suspicion that many held.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

TruthSeeker wrote:If other countries (unrelated to USA) are experiencing COVID spikes, how has it become a political issue in the mind of some citizens of the US?
1. Many Americans are narcissistic, having little knowledge of or concern for what happens in other countries.
2. Many Americans look at almost every issue through a political lens.

I would hope more of us here could learn to adopt a global Kingdom perspective.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited