Article: Welcome to our new ‘bespoke realities’

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Article: Welcome to our new ‘bespoke realities’

Post by temporal1 »

When I log onto YouTube what I see is microbiology and cell biology tutorials. :shock:
wow. impressive.
you’re obviously so-much-better than any of us on MN.

odd, tho.
considering the nature+volume of your cut+pastes, along with forum time dedicated, who would guess the algorithm wizards would ignore all that to better serve your “real” authentic self-identity?! genius! the algorithms exist to serve your higher purposes.
nicely done.

example:
this morning, 7 of the first 17 reports that popped up on my feed featured taylor swift, when, to my knowledge, i’ve not once clicked on any report that features her, not once searched her, etc. (they must catch my drift when i mourn matronly women in spandex+sparkles, imping teeny-boppers ~ for billions?) from pics, i wonder if her mouth is ever closed? we are to believe she exists in a perpetual state of astonishment?

ditto for DJT. and biden.
i don’t click on reports or do searches for either, i avoid typing their names, etc.
but, everyday, DJT appears in my news feed. same for biden. multiple times everyday, i refuse to click.

conversely, i have frequently searched for/use the names of Jesus Christ, Cadinal Sarah, Thomas Sowell, Larry Elder, some others: they NEVER/RARELY just appear in my news feeds. the pope shows up now+then. no Anabaptists.

funny that.
maybe you have an internet preferred status membership. lucky you. 8-)

- - - - - - -

possibly, i might enjoy a bespoke reality? by definition, what i’m seeing isn’t that. not close. :arrow:
be·spoke
adjectiveBRITISH
made for a particular customer or user.
"a bespoke suit"
making or selling bespoke goods, especially clothing.
"bespoke tailors"
what i see is “something,” not something wanted, definitely not bespoke.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Grace wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:02 pm Interesting article. Just in recent days we saw a glaring example of "bespoke reality". In the last three years the cognitive decline of the 81-year-old President has been glaring. From falling, mumbling, stumbling, shuffling in his walk, talking to dead people, forgetting the name of Hamas, lying constantly etc. A man who was aware that he had forbidden classified documents in his garage and other unsecured areas, in 2017 but didn't turn them over to the authorities. And he can't be charged for those violations because his mental acuity is so poor. And just like some followers of Trump think he can do no wrong, the president's followers still think the 81 year old can perform like a 40 year old. Even the White House press secretary's touts that any claims about the obvious decline of the President's mental acuity, is "just not reality". I suppose that is her "bespoke reality".
“Much worse” is coming along right behind him.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:49 am
When I log onto YouTube what I see is microbiology and cell biology tutorials. :shock:
wow. impressive.
you’re obviously so-much-better than any of us on MN.

odd, tho.
considering the nature+volume of your cut+pastes, along with forum time dedicated, who would guess the algorithm wizards would ignore all that to better serve your “real” authentic self-identity?! genius! the algorithms exist to serve your higher purposes.
nicely done.

example:
this morning, 7 of the first 17 reports that popped up on my feed featured taylor swift, when, to my knowledge, i’ve not once clicked on any report that features her, not once searched her, etc. (they must catch my drift when i mourn matronly women in spandex+sparkles, imping teeny-boppers ~ for billions?) from pics, i wonder if her mouth is ever closed? we are to believe she exists in a perpetual state of astonishment?

ditto for DJT. and biden.
i don’t click on reports or do searches for either, i avoid typing their names, etc.
but, everyday, DJT appears in my news feed. same for biden. multiple times everyday, i refuse to click.

conversely, i have frequently searched for/use the names of Jesus Christ, Cadinal Sarah, Thomas Sowell, Larry Elder, some others: they NEVER/RARELY just appear in my news feeds. the pope shows up now+then. no Anabaptists.

funny that.
maybe you have an internet preferred status membership. lucky you. 8-)
I don't understand the sarcasm. Most of my YouTube feed are videos about trains, model building and science fiction. The purpose of YouTube and other social media is to keep you using them and the algorithm does that by delivering to you what it thinks you want. Does it do it perfectly? No. When I was a pastor, I get getting Facebook ads for clerical robes and getting my MDiv, even though I already had one.

Algorithms are a kind of self-reinforcing mirror. They both deliver what it thinks you want to see and it reinforces these things. So if the YouTube algorithm "thinks" you want crazy conspiracy videos, YouTube is going to feed you crazy conspiracy videos and watching these kinds of videos over and over is going to reinforce that worldview.

I've noticed that when my daughter uses my YouTube account, I see more video recommendations based on the kinds of videos she watches.

I'm curious which app you're using for your news feed. Do you notice any patterns in the kinds of ads you receive?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

None of this changes the fact that Grace merely stated facts. The response has been to somehow attack that she shouldn’t have gotten to learn those facts because of “search bubble”, which is an odd position to take.

Everything she said that I could check was valid and true. So why the discomfort with what she said?
2 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:12 am None of this changes the fact that Grace merely stated facts.
The response has been to somehow attack that she shouldn’t have gotten to learn those facts because of “search bubble”,
which is an odd position to take.

Everything she said that I could check was valid and true. So why the discomfort with what she said?
i agree, i hearted your P.1 post, but, this topic is about bespoke realities.
i’m not curious about “the discomfort” ‘cause, while i appreciate your plain question, the answer likewise seems just as plain.

i did not forsee i would one day reminisce former member Liam. he may have been present+gone before you entered.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Szdfan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:58 am I'm curious which app you're using for your news feed. Do you notice any patterns in the kinds of ads you receive?
i avoid using apps, i don’t think i use any apps for news.
i see what Chrome throws out in “New Tabs,” also, some news shows up in email, i used to see things on FB, but gave up on that a few years ago. i never used FB in a conventional way. i used it to view my daughter’s page, she rarely uses hers. my son disconnected from FB years before that. he knows too much to do anything online. :lol:

i guess my email is on an aol app, i didn’t think of that. i know aol is considered worse than archaic. :mrgreen:
old habit. i have a gmail email, i don’t use it often. no one emails much anymore. i use email mostly for reminders, some bill notifications, doctor notices, etc. inlaws email. not many of them.

from what i gather, texting has replaced most email. my son lets me text him. even my super cool sil lets me text.

i never look at video games. he’s a video game artist. it’s his world. he worked on Destiny, and lots of others.
no one on his side or our side does this. he’s very kind+polite to me. life is a wonder.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:12 am None of this changes the fact that Grace merely stated facts. The response has been to somehow attack that she shouldn’t have gotten to learn those facts because of “search bubble”, which is an odd position to take.

You are completely missing the point.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Ken wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:55 am
Josh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:12 am None of this changes the fact that Grace merely stated facts. The response has been to somehow attack that she shouldn’t have gotten to learn those facts because of “search bubble”, which is an odd position to take.

Oh, we get the point.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:55 am

Which is?

Is anything Grace said false?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:21 am no one emails much anymore.
Your experience may not match that of others, but maybe you're adapting Yogi Berra's line.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited