Poll: Personal Coronavirus Permanent Impact

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

I, or someone I’m close to will be hospitalized.

Total votes: 0

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Poll: Personal Coronavirus Permanent Impact

Post by Josh »

barnhart wrote:I think the German government was probably right, if not brutal in their honesty by predicting 60 - 70% of their population will get it. If the data so far are correct, around one percent will die. I suspect this is close to what we should expect here. The efforts to contain are really efforts to smooth the curve so as not to overwhelm the medical system. If it follows the path other corona viruses, it will die down for the summer and pick up again in the fall. Perhaps a rushed vaccine could be a reality by then. I would be glad to be proven wrong and its all just a "hoax" as my landlord assures me.
The amount of people (including plain people) who think it is a hoax is astonishing.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

My workplace is in mass hysteria, at least the office people are. Its more amusing than concerning to me. If one were to look at facts, you'd understand why I feel that way.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

steve-in-kville wrote:7.

My workplace is in mass hysteria, at least the office people are. Its more amusing than concerning to me. If one were to look at facts, you'd understand why I feel that way.
Since you're in the food industry, some thoughts from ICS 400. Give amnesty for all sick leave and family leave, pay for all that leave but use a different pay code. Disaster relief money will most likely be available to you to recoup the loss.
0 x
steve-in-kville

AnthonyMartin wrote: Since you're in the food industry, some thoughts from ICS 400. Give amnesty for all sick leave and family leave, pay for all that leave but use a different pay code. Disaster relief money will most likely be available to you to recoup the loss.
I've been part of an email chain on the very subject. We have a strict attendance policy, whereas if I call off or am late too often in a 12 month period, I'm subject to termination. So there talk of lifting that policy, but nothing concrete as of now.

Also, if a co-worker gets quarantined and must stay home for 14 days, must they use vacation hours? Will the company compensate? All questions that need answered.
0 x

AnthonyMartin

Post by AnthonyMartin »

steve-in-kville wrote:
AnthonyMartin wrote: Since you're in the food industry, some thoughts from ICS 400. Give amnesty for all sick leave and family leave, pay for all that leave but use a different pay code. Disaster relief money will most likely be available to you to recoup the loss.
I've been part of an email chain on the very subject. We have a strict attendance policy, whereas if I call off or am late too often in a 12 month period, I'm subject to termination. So there talk of lifting that policy, but nothing concrete as of now.

Also, if a co-worker gets quarantined and must stay home for 14 days, must they use vacation hours? Will the company compensate? All questions that need answered.
And does it eat into FMLA time and do you give amnesty for that also. I expect many business are having that exact conversation, yes.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote:

The President stated that the government is drafting compensation for lost wages if people stay home.

Is your employer stating that people must come to work when sick? It’ll be interesting to see how that’s handled when the government and health department start making conflicting orders with that.

Here in Ohio, the governor ordered workers to stay home when sick. The President asked us to stay home when sick a few days ago.

I would not want to be an employer who got caught forcing people to come to work who has an outbreak where your primary good/service is the food industry. This is short sighted foolishness to a degree I can’t really comprehend.

My employer has instituted work from home for anyone who wants it and it will probably be mandatory next week.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Highly unlikely in my circle even with some of my octogenarian colleagues. No guess is going to be 100% on the spot.

Our parishes are cancelling everything except the regular Masses. Visits to check on the sick will be done over the phones or Skype instead of in person. Priests will still go out to the sick to administer the sacramental emergencies.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville

I'd be curious to see what becomes of this throughout the day.

As a side note, all the school official in our county are having a video conference later today to determine what happens next week. Our school activities have already been cancelled for the weekend.
0 x

AnthonyMartin

Post by AnthonyMartin »

All employers are saying that if people are sick they should not come to work. The challenge at the moment is how to handle that leave. How many exceptions to normal policies can you afford to make? Do you utilize accrued vacation time for that leave? Etc.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Our work place is telling people to stay at home if they are sick. And our government is saying they will be covered under our employment insurance plan immediately on the first day they stay home. But there are things that are not yet clear. To be covered under EI you need a doctors certificate and doctors are only saying to come in if you are a severe at risk case. I see a lot of potential for chaos. I know that our ability to service our customers will dry up really fast if employees do not show and so the domino chain continues.
Being involved in trying to decide what is the best thing to do for just our employees and customers gives me a greater appreciation for what our government officials are facing right now.
It would be lovely to be able to tell employees to work from home but there are hundreds of industries where that is not even a remote possibility. pun intended.
0 x