HPV and Cancer link

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

HPV and Cancer link

Post by RZehr »

I had no idea that HPV and cancer are so closely linked. Funny that this isn’t more well known. Avoid this, and your cancer risk goes down. Maybe public messaging should be this, instead of just yelling around about the importance of early detection and screening.
HPV, or human papillomavirus, is a sexually transmitted infection responsible for virtually all cases of cervical cancer. But the virus is also linked to a number of other cancers, including penile, anal and vaginal cancers.

It also accounts for the majority — up to 70% — of head and neck cancers, which affect the throat and mouth. Men are about twice as likely to develop these cancers than women, according to the National Cancer Institute.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hpv-vaccine- ... 35059.html
Romans 1 “…receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.”
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: HPV and Cancer link

Post by Szdfan »

There are vaccines available. There was a big push a few years ago.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

The vaccine is pushed as a “must” for 11+ year olds, in gov schools and pediatrics.
This is our experience in Illinois and Washington.

My granddaughter’s pediatrician, now retired, that i liked very much, pushed my daughter for it, and made her feel guilty for refusing it.

Our experience is they really push children+teens to be sexually active, they talk about it and ask about it.

As usual, “they will make you feel” you’re a wanton criminal if you don’t vaccinate your young children against
(this time) sex-related cancer.

Interesting/surprising you aren’t very familiar with it. i’ve been reading about it for years.

Related:
WA / Initiative 2081 / Lawsuit seeks to block Washington parental rights law that critics call a ‘forced outing’ measure”
https://apnews.com/article/parents-righ ... a019f9b8c5
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Szdfan wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:32 pm There are vaccines available. There was a big push a few years ago.
There are vaccines for fornication? News to me. How is it different than celibacy?
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

HPV is most commonly transmitted sexually but the virus can spread through non-sexual contact.

Once you catch the virus your susceptibility to a wide variety of related cancers linked to HPV goes way up and then it is too late to do anything about it and you are at elevated risk of cancer for the rest of your life.
The vaccine is pushed as a “must” for 11+ year olds, in gov schools and pediatrics.
This is our experience in Illinois and Washington.

My granddaughter’s pediatrician, now retired, that i liked very much, pushed my daughter for it, and made her feel guilty for refusing it.

Our experience is they really push children+teens to be sexually active, they talk about it and ask about it.
Not my experience at all as the parent of 3 daughters. It is just one of the many routine childhood shots that are one recommended list like DTaP, MMR, VAR, Mumps, Polio, etc. It isn't on the required school list because it isn't highly communicable so not something the schools even address. They have enough on their plates just dealing with the required vaccines: https://doh.wa.gov/community-and-enviro ... n/families

And no, in my experience no one in the medical system is pushing children to be sexually active when taking this shot. It is just one shot among many that clinics recommend that children receive, no different than getting a tetanus or polio vaccine.

If your child dies of cancer because you chose not to have them vaccinated at age 11 that is on you. At that age the parents are making the medical decisions, not the child. Voluntary sex isn't the only way the virus is transmitted. It can be just as easily transmitted as a result of sexual assault or abuse. Or just close contact.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:56 pm HPV is most commonly transmitted sexually but the virus can spread through non-sexual contact.
If your child dies of cancer because you chose not to have them vaccinated at age 11 that is on you. At that age the parents are making the medical decisions, not the child. Voluntary sex isn't the only way the virus is transmitted. It can be just as easily transmitted as a result of sexual assault or abuse. Or just close contact.
Documented cases are far more common with sexual contact. Skin to skin is less common and it’s really through finger to mouth sort of contact.
No child is likely to die from cancer from HPV, the estimated occurrence is 10-25 years later.

Logic dictates that you vaccinate for the highest risk factors rather then low to negligible risks. If skin to skin contact was more common, you would expect them to start vaccination at a much younger age then just before sexual maturity.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:09 pm
Ken wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:56 pm HPV is most commonly transmitted sexually but the virus can spread through non-sexual contact.
Documented cases are far more common with sexual contact. Skin to skin is less common and it’s really through finger to mouth sort of contact.
No child is likely to die from cancer from HPV, the estimated occurrence is 10-25 years later.

Logic dictates that you vaccinate for the highest risk factors rather then low to negligible risks. If skin to skin contact was more common, you would expect them to start vaccination at a much younger age then just before sexual maturity.
The vaccine lasts a long time, at least 10-12 years and potentially much longer. So if you vaccinate your teen they are probably good to go through their entire 20s or longer.

Your risk of catching ANY of the diseases on the ordinary childhood vaccine list are pretty slim if you don't get vaccinated but they aren't zero. But that is BECAUSE a majority of people are vaccinated and most of these once common diseases are pretty well beaten back and in the case of Smallpox, eradicated. It would be a good thing is HPV is eliminated too. Would it not? You vaccinate your child partly for the protection of your own child. But also to increase protection for all children.

Cancer is a particularly horrible way to die and this is the only vaccine available that prevents some common cancers.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:30 pm The vaccine lasts a long time, at least 10-12 years and potentially much longer. So if you vaccinate your teen they are probably good to go through their entire 20s or longer.
8 by the research I saw. Either way, my point was the risk for non promiscuous youth is almost zero.
Your risk of catching ANY of the diseases on the ordinary childhood vaccine list are pretty slim if you don't get vaccinated but they aren't zero. But that is BECAUSE a majority of people are vaccinated and most of these once common diseases are pretty well beaten back and in the case of Smallpox, eradicated. It would be a good thing is HPV is eliminated too. Would it not? You vaccinate your child partly for the protection of your own child. But also to increase protection for all children.
Changing the point though. Transmission of pretty much all of the diseases childhood vaccines are for are not sexually transmitted.
Cancer is a particularly horrible way to die and this is the only vaccine available that prevents some common cancers.
Depends on which vaccine you actually get as to how many strains it protects from. 99% protection is available for those who avoid pre-marital relations. That’s a better success rate then any vaccine.
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:52 pm
Ken wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:30 pm The vaccine lasts a long time, at least 10-12 years and potentially much longer. So if you vaccinate your teen they are probably good to go through their entire 20s or longer.
8 by the research I saw. Either way, my point was the risk for non promiscuous youth is almost zero.
Changing the point though. Transmission of pretty much all of the diseases childhood vaccines are for are not sexually transmitted.
Depends on which vaccine you actually get as to how many strains it protects from. 99% protection is available for those who avoid pre-marital relations. That’s a better success rate then any vaccine.
One in six American women experience sexual assault in their lifetime, most frequently when they are young. A marriage license doesn't protect against that.

I'm not sure why the means of transmission of the virus would make you want to leave your children unprotected from the risk of cancer. Each to their own I suppose.
Last edited by Ken on Fri May 24, 2024 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:14 pm
One in six American women experience sexual assault in their lifetime, most frequently when they are young. A marriage license doesn't protect against that.
No it doesn’t. There are far worse things then HPV that can be acquired through rape.

Sexual assault though is a very vague thing though.
0 x