War in Gaza

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: War in Gaza

Post by Valerie »

joshuabgood wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:41 am
Ernie wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:44 pm
Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:42 pm

It's trying to understand the mindset of the Jewish people. I truly am not "evangelically" influenced about this. It seems blatantly clear from studying the OT for decades, and realizing Jews are who they are, and are not Anabaptist in thinking nor are they NT people. War has always been in their long history. So has being attacked.
Yes, I agree that this perspective is not limited to Evangelicals.

It is a perspective held by many people who have adopted Augustinian theology, including Catholics, Orthodox, Protestants, Church of Christ, Mormons, Messianic Jews, and even some Anabaptists.
Though there are adherents in all of those streams that see ir differently. The Pope for one.
The Pope sees much these days that are troubling even the Catholics
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie:
It's trying to understand the mindset of the Jewish people. ..
i fail to see posts on this from Valerie, Robert, HK, others, or myself, as agreeing with or promoting violence/war/retaliation, because of failure to specially demonize/hate Netanyahu. Certainly, Hamas loves this math. And, yes, i believe they+sympathizers are exploiting it. It’s not hard to exploit Christians.

1 Corinthians 4:10 / Fools for Christ’s sake ..
https://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/4-10.htm

It reminds of lots of folks who believe DJT must be viscerally hated, OR, he is supported, loved, even worshipped!
Wasn’t it Jesus who offered His Third Way? In every harsh circumstance? Especially in harsh circumstances?

i believe this applies:
ohio jones wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:31 am
01000110 01100001 01101100 01110011 01100101 00101110

Just because you can't think of other forms of punishment available to the legal system doesn't mean they don't exist. Diversion, probation, restitution, community service, just to name a few. Creative solutions also welcome.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I don’t hate Netanyahu. I do think he is a warmonger who has done much to hurt the cause of peace. And my opinion on that is almost entirely based on things (Jewish) Israelis have told me.

It’s possible to believe Hamas is very bad but also think Netanyahu is bad and is not a good leader. Even now, the ICC wants him tried for war crimes. That’s a rather serious thing!
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:11 pm I don’t hate Netanyahu. I do think he is a warmonger who has done much to hurt the cause of peace. And my opinion on that is almost entirely based on things (Jewish) Israelis have told me.

It’s possible to believe Hamas is very bad but also think Netanyahu is bad and is not a good leader. Even now, the ICC wants him tried for war crimes. That’s a rather serious thing!
Many Augustinians don't really care what ICC thinks so I doubt mentioning the organization here on MN will make much difference in their minds.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:11 pm I don’t hate Netanyahu. I do think he is a warmonger who has done much to hurt the cause of peace. And my opinion on that is almost entirely based on things (Jewish) Israelis have told me.
I have heard it said that even the leftwing elements of the Israeli government, as well as the majority of public opinion in Israel, are in favor of the war they are waging against Hamas in Gaza. If this is the case, then it is no wonder they are proceeding with their military operations.

I am not sure what Israel's endgame is. It appears that the endgame of Hamas and the Palestinians would be to see Israel eliminated entirely. I don't see how this situation can ever be peacefully resolved.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

mike wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:05 pm
I have heard it said that even the leftwing elements of the Israeli government, as well as the majority of public opinion in Israel, are in favor of the war they are waging against Hamas in Gaza. If this is the case, then it is no wonder they are proceeding with their military operations.

I am not sure what Israel's endgame is. It appears that the endgame of Hamas and the Palestinians would be to see Israel eliminated entirely. I don't see how this situation can ever be peacefully resolved.
It took about 900 years to finally peacefully resolve the English and Irish conflict over Northern Ireland. At that rate we only have about 825 years to go.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i’d like to add to my words above, on MN, i don’t doubt any member’s faith, it’s not a matter of sincerity.
People read different sources, ignore sources, have personal leanings. There are bound to be varying opinions.

This happens in reading scriptures! The very same Book, yet, understood differently.

In the past, i understood “lovng enemies” to be a hallmark of Anabaptism. In an extreme way.
In a way that any description self defense or prevention of harm to wife/children would be too much.

i learned, there are many Anabaptist views. also, this range is experienced in (all?) Christian denoms?
Clearly, there are Catholics for abortion.

It’s unsettling. It is what it is.

^^to mike,
from what i gather, return of hostages, dead+alive, is paramount.
i would think SURRENDER of Hamas, not genocide, is second.

there are growing numbers of leaders rejecting allegations of genocide, including biden.
allegations are easy, they fly freely 24/7. that doesn’t make them true.

why hasn’t the glorious press mentioned the word, “SURRENDER?”
esp wrt terrorists.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

mike wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:05 pm I have heard it said that even the leftwing elements of the Israeli government, as well as the majority of public opinion in Israel, are in favor of the war they are waging against Hamas in Gaza.
If this is the case, then it is no wonder they are proceeding with their military operations.

i have read both about citizens’ sympathies in Israel. And Gaza. So, i’m reluctant to conclude.
0 x

UNKNOWN
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

When it comes to Christians in Israel or Gaza, or other war-torn areas, I think the best thing to do is flee the area. The New Testament tells Christians similar things in various hostile situations. There are political situations where it just doesn't work to try and live out your faith as a Christian. It's not an easy thing to do to leave one's home, friends, work, and all that is familiar, but what else can you really do without becoming caught up in the violence.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Ken wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:14 pm
mike wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:05 pm

It took about 900 years to finally peacefully resolve the English and Irish conflict over Northern Ireland. At that rate we only have about 825 years to go.
I wouldn't say it is resolved, only the Irish stopped terror tactics to drive out the English. Even so that is an outcome I would love to see in Palestine and Israel.
0 x