NFL “values”

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: NFL “values”

Post by temporal1 »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:07 pm This is rich!
glad you appreciate it.
if you mean, it takes one to know one, i accept that, as well.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

https://www.kget.com/sports/ap-commissi ... on-butker/
Commissioner Roger Goodell declined Wednesday to expand on the NFL’s statement distancing the league from comments made by Kansas City Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker during a commencement address at a private Catholic college in Kansas.

“We have over 3,000 players,” Goodell said as the NFL concluded its spring meetings. “We have executives around the league that have a diversity of opinions and thoughts just like America does. I think that’s something that we treasure, and that’s part of, I think, ultimately what makes us as a society better.”
Really mild comments from the NFL that doesn't align with the accusations about them in the OP.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Szdfan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:00 pm https://www.kget.com/sports/ap-commissi ... on-butker/
Commissioner Roger Goodell declined Wednesday to expand on the NFL’s statement distancing the league from comments made by Kansas City Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker during a commencement address at a private Catholic college in Kansas.

“We have over 3,000 players,” Goodell said as the NFL concluded its spring meetings. “We have executives around the league that have a diversity of opinions and thoughts just like America does. I think that’s something that we treasure, and that’s part of, I think, ultimately what makes us as a society better.”
Really mild comments from the NFL that doesn't align with the accusations about them in the OP.
Their original statement was nothing more than this:
“Harrison Butker gave a speech in his personal capacity,” Jonathan Beane, NFL senior vice president and chief diversity and inclusion officer, said in a statement released Thursday. “His views are not those of the NFL as an organization. The NFL is steadfast in our commitment to inclusion, which only makes our league stronger.”
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Ken wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:31 pm
Szdfan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:00 pm https://www.kget.com/sports/ap-commissi ... on-butker/

“Harrison Butker gave a speech in his personal capacity,” Jonathan Beane, NFL senior vice president and chief diversity and inclusion officer, said in a statement released Thursday. “His views are not those of the NFL as an organization. The NFL is steadfast in our commitment to inclusion, which only makes our league stronger.”

The OP is from an outstanding, successful satire group.

Evenso, is anyone unaware of violent felonies and other serious crimes committed by NFL players?
One of the reasons many do not view.

i have a personal grudge. My daughter was violently raped as a college freshman by a college fb player. i’m not over it.
even at the college level, crime is often ignored for valuable athletes. THE BEE speaks to it.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:37 pm
Ken wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:31 pm

The OP is from an outstanding, successful satire group.

Evenso, is anyone unaware of violent felonies and other serious crimes committed by NFL players?
One of the reasons many do not view.

i have a personal grudge. My daughter was violently raped as a college freshman by a college fb player. i’m not over it.
even at the college level, crime is often ignored for valuable athletes. THE BEE speaks to it.
So sorry to hear about your daughter.

The fact that the NFL tolerates all manner of misbehavior and so do colleges only underscores the point that the ONLY thing the NFL values is money. Nothing else. Pretty much the same in college football these days too.

We were living in Waco TX when the big Baylor football rape scandal happened. When I was teaching in Waco I probably had a dozen students over the years who went on to play football at Baylor, none of whom were indicted in the rape scandals there. But it did bring down the head coach and the college president Ken Starr (of Clinton impeachment fame) and a bunch of other coaches and administrators in the athletic department. One of my co-workers was married to some assistant in the athletic department who was fired over the scandal (apparently for not being aggressive enough about rooting out misbehavior by athletes). I think they ended up losing their house (or having to sell it) after they were reduced to a single income for a long time.

The fact that one of the worst college football rape scandals in history happened at supposedly Christian and Baptist Baylor University only underscores the toxic effects of big dollar college sports. The scandal at Baylor wasn't so much that athletes were sexual predators. But that the university worked to cover it up all the way up to the very top, the president's office. That was the real scandal. And for what? Money. And Ken Starr destroyed his legacy and reputation over football money too.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

At the local level, we had a nice rape scandal at Steubenville high school (home of the "Big Red" football team), where the administration decided that it was more important to keep their star football players around than deal with the fact those football players raped an unconscious underage girl and decided to take pictures and videos of it and post them to social media.
The evidence presented in court mainly consisted of hundreds of text messages and cellphone pictures that had been taken by more than a dozen people at the parties and afterwards traded with other students and posted to social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube, and which were described by the judge as "profane and ugly".
Despite the convictions, the football players went on to play at various colleges. One of them was removed from the team after a petition and outcry, but then he filed a lawsuit and won and was able to get back on the team.

Football "values" indeed.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Kansas City Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker's controversial commencement address does not appear to have affected his standing with his team of seven years.

Speaking to reporters for the first time since Butker addressed the graduates of Benedictine College in Atchison, Kansas, Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes said he disagreed with some of the statements made but endorsed Butker's character.

"I know Harrison. I've known him for seven years and I judge him by the character that he shows every single day and that's a good person. That's someone who cares about the people around him, cares about his family and wants to make a good impact in society. When you're in a locker room, there's a lot of people from a lot of different areas in life and they have a lot of different views on everything.

"We're not always going to agree, and there's certain things that he said that I don't necessarily agree with, but I understand the person that he is, and he is trying to do whatever he can to lead people in the right direction. That might not be the same values as I have, but at the same time, I'm going to judge him by the character that he shows every single day. That's a great person, and we'll continue to move along and try to help build each other up to make ourselves better every single day."

When pressed on what exactly he disagreed with from Butker, Mahomes only alluded to "certain values that certain people emphasize more than others."

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid had a reaction similar to Mahomes', emphasizing the team's diversity while sidestepping his thoughts on the speech's content:

"I talk to Harrison all the time. I didn't talk to him about this. I didn't think we needed to. We're a microcosm of life. Everybody is from different areas, different religions, different races, and so, we all get along, we all respect each other's opinions and not necessarily do we go by those, but we respect everybody to have a voice.

"It's the great thing about America and we're just, like I said, a microcosm of that. My wish is that everybody could kind of follow that."

Reid also said he didn't believe the topic had become a distraction for the Chiefs and that no female Chiefs employees had come to him with misgivings about Butker's speech.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/chiefs-pat ... 48996.html
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:47 pm
Kansas City Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker's controversial commencement address does not appear to have affected his standing with his team of seven years.

Speaking to reporters for the first time since Butker addressed the graduates of Benedictine College in Atchison, Kansas, Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes said he disagreed with some of the statements made but endorsed Butker's character.

"I know Harrison. I've known him for seven years and I judge him by the character that he shows every single day and that's a good person. That's someone who cares about the people around him, cares about his family and wants to make a good impact in society. When you're in a locker room, there's a lot of people from a lot of different areas in life and they have a lot of different views on everything.

"We're not always going to agree, and there's certain things that he said that I don't necessarily agree with, but I understand the person that he is, and he is trying to do whatever he can to lead people in the right direction. That might not be the same values as I have, but at the same time, I'm going to judge him by the character that he shows every single day. That's a great person, and we'll continue to move along and try to help build each other up to make ourselves better every single day."

When pressed on what exactly he disagreed with from Butker, Mahomes only alluded to "certain values that certain people emphasize more than others."

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid had a reaction similar to Mahomes', emphasizing the team's diversity while sidestepping his thoughts on the speech's content:

"I talk to Harrison all the time. I didn't talk to him about this. I didn't think we needed to. We're a microcosm of life. Everybody is from different areas, different religions, different races, and so, we all get along, we all respect each other's opinions and not necessarily do we go by those, but we respect everybody to have a voice.

"It's the great thing about America and we're just, like I said, a microcosm of that. My wish is that everybody could kind of follow that."

Reid also said he didn't believe the topic had become a distraction for the Chiefs and that no female Chiefs employees had come to him with misgivings about Butker's speech.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/chiefs-pat ... 48996.html
there is evidence that pushback to the pushback was effective.
THE BEE did a nice job of reflecting reality. A single headline was sufficient (for me):

“ 'Harrison Butker Does Not Reflect Our Values,' Says League Of Woman Beaters

Even the mayor of Kansas City has walked back his criticism.

What will it take for public knee-jerk responses to end? Slow down? Nick Sandmann? Jussie Smollett? Harrison Butker?
What is the thrill attached to jumping on band wagons - to the exclusion of a moment’s considered thought?
The race to the bottom.

May 11 2024 definitely represents the race to the bottom. Now for the hurried coverup. :twisted:

“We’re sorrrry.” (sorry we got caught.)
The proof is in “sin no more.” Does this represent the end of knee-jerk dogmatic responses? :lol: :lol:
0 x

UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:50 pm What is the thrill attached to jumping on band wagons - to the exclusion of a moment’s considered thought?
The race to the bottom.
Alternatively, one can watch for bandwagons that other people are jumping on and off of, and supply us with knee-jerk dogmatic responses to that activity. Is that more profitable?

Think about it!
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:12 pm
temporal1 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:50 pm What is the thrill attached to jumping on band wagons - to the exclusion of a moment’s considered thought?
The race to the bottom.
Alternatively, one can watch for bandwagons that other people are jumping on and off of, and supply us with knee-jerk dogmatic responses to that activity. Is that more profitable?

Think about it!

if i’m not mistaken, my interest often falls with reactions to knee-jerk prevailing narratives?
that’s my guess. maybe that’s what you’re saying.

like, “Ukraine has been invaded by Russia, Ukraine has no alternative than for unlimited world resources for war”.
my response: “could an attempt at RESOLUTION be tried? please?”

this topic was intended to reflect THE BEE’s response to the tawdry NFL’s initial self-righteous response to HB.

i think that’s my general pattern. not sure.
it’s hard to assess oneself, hard to know how others interpret words+actions.

i’m happy to say, the alternative responses OFTEN end up beng found valid. sadly, AFTER damage done.
sorry to say, DAMAGE is so profitable, those responsible do not change their ways. they just fly right along to their next target.

i think i asked above if you appreciated the OP THE BEE?
you being so good with words.

also, i’m glad i gifted this topic to jeremy. i think it’s gone better since. thanks, jeremy.
0 x

UNKNOWN