NFL “values”

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: NFL “values”

Post by temporal1 »

NFL “values”

Returning to the very simple+direct subject line AND OP, does anyone have anything to add wrt NFL “values”? ..
and/or lack thereof.

It’s hard to add anything-much to THE BEE pieces.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:41 pm NFL “values”

Returning to the very simple+direct subject line AND OP, does anyone have anything to add wrt NFL “values”? ..
and/or lack thereof.

The only thing the NFL values is money.

NFL athletes are a diverse lot and what any particular one of them says during the off season when not on the job and not actually representing their team doesn't have much of anything to do with the NFL or its "values."
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

and/or lack thereof.

I'm confused by the purpose of this thread.
  • At this point, 12:04 Mountain State Daylight Time on May the Twenty-first, the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Twenty-Four, the NFL hasn't actually done anything regarding Butker. He hasn't been fired. He hasn't been censored. He hasn't been blacklisted. All that has happened from the NFL is a mild statement stating the NFL disagreed with him and affirming diversity. Typical speak from a corporation trying to cover its butt without doing anything.
  • Butker is receiving backlash from individuals and groups outside of the NFL. Some of them are calling for him to be fired. However, these are people who are outside of the NFL and therefore not a reflection of "NFL values."
  • Discussing Butker's views and why some Catholics disagree with him is considered irrelevant to this thread.
  • Discussing Colin Kaepernick who was actually blacklisted by the NFL and therefore relevant to a discussion about the NFL's values is considered irrelevant to this thread.
So...what is it that's being discussed? Other than performative pre-emptive outrage about something that hasn't even happened yet?

I think I caught a roaring "I-Know-Somehow-Somewhere-Liberals-Are-Persecuting-Me-Asaurus."
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Szdfan,

Do you think the NFL should censure for, fire for, punish for, or otherwise disavow what this football player said in his speech?
1 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

and/or lack thereof.

I thought you were planning to ignore them... :?
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I really don’t know why native fluffy lemurs get so much attention
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:19 pm Szdfan,

Do you think the NFL should censure for, fire for, punish for, or otherwise disavow what this football player said in his speech?
I'm not SZfan, but my opinion is that all employers should give employees pretty wide latitude for what they say on their own time when not representing the organization. Regardless of who the employer is. In this country we tend to give employers too much power over the private lives of their employees. Whether you work for the government, the military, the NFL, or some ordinary business, your own time should be your own time and your private life should be yours.

But someone who is on company time or representing the employer in some sort of official capacity, that's different. Employers do have the right to control employees who are representing them in an official capacity.

The exception would be if what you say and do in private negatively affects the business in some meaningful way. For example, if you cause such a backlash that the company bleeds business or otherwise suffers as a result of your speech. You don't have the freedom to go burn your employer's business down physically during your time off, or vandalize the place physically. Nor do you have the freedom to do so virtually. So there are common sense limits to everything, including free speech and no rights are 100% absolute.

So, for example, as a public school teacher I should be free to say and do whatever I want on my own time and especially during summers when I'm not working. But if I deliberately create such a public spectacle of myself in some highly controversial way that reflects badly on me and my profession and makes it difficult for me to continue to do my job in an effective manner, then my district would have reason to get involved and take some kind of action. So, for example, a few years ago the principal in my daughter's district created a big firestorm over a facebook post to the point that the district was forced to reassign her and she was eventually forced to retire. Poor judgment on her part. It made the national media including the NYT and the school was getting bomb threats and other nonsense from all over the world: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wa ... e-n1132936
Last edited by Ken on Tue May 21, 2024 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Josh wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:19 pm Szdfan,

No.

I don't think there's a point in getting outraged about something that hasn't happened.

I also think it's fair game for people to criticize Buckter.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Szdfan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:49 pm

and/or lack thereof.

• At this point, 12:04 Mountain State Daylight Time on May the Twenty-first, the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Twenty-Four, the NFL hasn't actually done anything regarding Butker. He hasn't been fired. He hasn't been censored. He hasn't been blacklisted. All that has happened from the NFL is a mild statement stating the NFL disagreed with him and affirming diversity. Typical speak from a corporation trying to cover its butt without doing anything.
  • Butker is receiving backlash from individuals and groups outside of the NFL. Some of them are calling for him to be fired. However, these are people who are outside of the NFL and therefore not a reflection of "NFL values."
  • Discussing Butker's views and why some Catholics disagree with him is considered irrelevant to this thread.
  • Discussing Colin Kaepernick who was actually blacklisted by the NFL and therefore relevant to a discussion about the NFL's values is considered irrelevant to this thread.
So...what is it that's being discussed? Other than performative pre-emptive outrage about something that hasn't even happened yet?

I think I caught a roaring "I-Know-Somehow-Somewhere-Liberals-Are-Persecuting-Me-Asaurus."
i’m surprised by interest in this topic. my interest is mainly in THE BEE satire on it, which i found on point. see OP.
Josh wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:11 pm There have already been calls for the Chiefs to get rid of him. It shows that the left doesn't value free speech and thinks that if someone publicly says something they disagree with, they will try to get that person fired.

This is very toxic to a free and open democracy.
For me, the response is an affront to both Free Speech and Freedom of Religion. Esp due to knee-jerk penalties applied, with noisy calls for much more. It’s a great example to reflect the potential for social media, msm, politicians wrt: MOB MENTALITY [once again]

HB is Catholic, addressing a Catholic graduating class, at a Catholic university. Not political.
Not on the job, on location at a stadium (i believe everyone’s tax dollars contribute to big sports stadiums) - Political.
it’s not apples to apples.

- - - - - - -

jeremy,
this topic has struck a chord with you.

i’d like to GIFT the thread to you, then no need to speculate on others’ intentions, motivations, shortcomings, etc.
These hobbies are generally discouraged on forum, you enjoy special immunity, it’s not up to me to decide when it’s ok, when it’s not. i want to accept reality.

Enjoy yourself.
i’m preparing to attend a special HS concert in Seattle this evening. i’m not overly concerned with miserable allegations lobbed my way due to popular but baseless presumptions. Find another hobby? :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

temporal1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:14 pm
Szdfan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:49 pm

and/or lack thereof.

i’m surprised by interest in this topic. my interest is mainly in THE BEE satire on it, which i found on point. see OP.
Josh wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:11 pm There have already been calls for the Chiefs to get rid of him. It shows that the left doesn't value free speech and thinks that if someone publicly says something they disagree with, they will try to get that person fired.

This is very toxic to a free and open democracy.
For me, the response is an affront to both Free Speech and Freedom of Religion. Esp due to knee-jerk penalties applied, with noisy calls for much more. It’s a great example to reflect the potential for social media, msm, politicians wrt: MOB MENTALITY [once again]

HB is Catholic, addressing a Catholic graduating class, at a Catholic university. Not political.
Not on the job, on location at a stadium (i believe everyone’s tax dollars contribute to big sports stadiums) - Political.
it’s not apples to apples.

- - - - - - -

jeremy,
this topic has struck a chord with you.

i’d like to GIFT the thread to you, then no need to speculate on others’ intentions, motivations, shortcomings, etc.
These hobbies are generally discouraged on forum, you enjoy special immunity, it’s not up to me to decide when it’s ok, when it’s not. i want to accept reality.

Enjoy yourself.
i’m preparing to attend a special HS concert in Seattle this evening. i’m not overly concerned with miserable allegations lobbed my way due to popular but baseless presumptions. Find another hobby? :)
This is rich!
0 x