NFL “values”

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: NFL “values”

Post by Szdfan »

Josh wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:21 am I really do wonder about some of you people.
It's ok, I wonder about you too. :hug:
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

ohio jones wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:40 am
temporal1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:01 am i generally ignore the NFL. with no plans to change. :-|
So you'll be ignoring this thread? :P
Actually the older I get the more I see the advantages of ignoring most things going on in this world. I believe we can be ambassadors of the Kingdom and know very little about current events whatever they are. Those that see otherwise, so far, have not proven to me the spiritual benefits that come from being on top of worldly interests.

I still have areas that do draw my attention but in my experience, they are a hindrance to my furthering God's Kingdom. My wife and I were discussing just yesterday of how we either see ourselves as primarily a spirit living in a body and primarily focused on eternal matters or we see ourselves very much a body with a spirit taken up with fleeting matters that have no or little eternal value.

Perhaps it would be good to go over what we really believe it means to 'be in this world but not of it'. How do I 'come out from among them and be separtate' as the Lord says we should ? I suspect we might have some extreme differences on this interpretation.

Sorry, temporal1, it wasn't your post that got me off subject but it has been on my mind for some time now about how 'worldly minded' it seems MennoNet is as a Christian forum.

I'm going to blame Ohio Jones for this post even if I looked at this thread myself. :lol:
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:01 am i generally ignore the NFL. with no plans to change. :-|
If i recall, “values” is the noun and subject here, NFL is an adjective.
My main interest is in the values in question, whether the NFL has grounds to claim values, and what they might be.

i think THE BEE is hitting the nail on the head. Don’t you?

Jeremy is just out hunting imagined dinasours, as usual. A bit trigger-happy. :lol:
Last edited by temporal1 on Tue May 21, 2024 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

The only thing the NFL values is money.

Did something about that change while I wasn't paying attention?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Szdfan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:02 am
temporal1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:42 am
Szdfan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:33 am This is a statement issued by the Benedictine Sisters of Mount St. Scholastica, one of the Catholic institutions that helped start and continues to sponsor Benedictine College where Butker made his comments --

.. Butker is free to say what he wants, but others are also free to object to what he says and push back.
interesting for another topic, this topic is about NFL “values.” (this is the first page.)

the objections are not confined to opinions, the push is to punish him, silence him, cost him his employment.
You mean like what happened to Colin Kaepernick?

i don’t believe i posted a word about him, i tried to ignore. i try to ignore.
he acted out AT HIS WORKPLACE, that, alone, is a huge difference. i don’t know much about the pros/cons in that case.
not interested.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

temporal1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:17 am
My main interest is in the values in question, whether the NFL has grounds to claim values, and what they might be.

i think The Bee is hitting the nail on the head. Don’t you?

Jeremy is just out hunting imagined dinasours, as usual. A bit trigger-happy. :lol:
Oooh...I like dinosaurs. I hope I catch a T-Rex.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Szdfan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:27 am
temporal1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:17 am
ohio jones wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:40 am So you'll be ignoring this thread? :P

i believe you recently alluded to enjoying such. i think somewhere in bunny trails or?
if memory serves, it was a bt there, too.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

temporal1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:33 am
Szdfan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:27 am
temporal1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:17 am If i recall, “values” is the noun and subject here, NFL is an adjective.

i believe you recently alluded to enjoying such. i think somewhere in bunny trails or?
if memory serves, it was a bt there, too.
I think that one of the issues with the topic of this thread is that nothing has happened to Butker, other than criticism, and so to me it feels that the topic of this thread is to complain about how badly conservatives are persecuted.

My prediction is that this controversy will not substantially negatively affect Butker's career (unlike Kaepernick, who was blacklisted from the NFL).

https://andscape.com/features/why-harri ... is-career/
Butker’s comments have been met with an NFL statement that’s tepid in its rebuking. And while some commentators have ironically turned the “stick to sports” phrase usually aimed at Black athletes who speak up about injustices around on Butker, he most likely won’t suffer any tangible consequences for his comments. It’s a reminder that athletes, especially white athletes, can speak out as much as they want about any number of marginalized groups as long as they are punching down at those who society deems unworthy of defending.
The NFL’s — and so much of America’s — treatment of Kaepernick will always be the elephant in the room whenever an NFL player is politically outspoken. We’ll always remember the lengths the league went to suppress Kaep and ban kneeling across the league. The comments about “inmates running the prison” and the panic over players inserting politics into sports will echo across the league forever. But that panic doesn’t seem to extend to players when they use abusive language against marginalized communities.

I know that some will say that Kaepernick was different because he did this on the field, but we live in a social media world of total access. Players don’t leave their politics at the stadium door before taking the field, just like they don’t stop being an athlete when they sit in front of a podcast mic or a commencement speech podium.

You can’t ignore the hypocrisy of people like Kaepernick being told to stick to sports while Butker is praised by those same ideologues for ranting about the LGBTQIA+ community as an abomination.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

There have already been calls for the Chiefs to get rid of him. It shows that the left doesn't value free speech and thinks that if someone publicly says something they disagree with, they will try to get that person fired.

This is very toxic to a free and open democracy.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:11 pm There have already been calls for the Chiefs to get rid of him. It shows that the left doesn't value free speech and thinks that if someone publicly says something they disagree with, they will try to get that person fired.

This is very toxic to a free and open democracy.
Just because some people on Twitter are calling for the Chiefs to get rid of him doesn't mean the "left" writ large doesn't value free speech or whatever. That is a complete straw-man argument.

That is exactly the same thing as saying the fact that Governor Abbott just pardoned a racist murderer shows that the right condones racially-motivated murder and believes that peaceful protesters should be shot.

Do you believe that condoning racially-motivated murder of peaceful protesters is also very toxic to a free and open democracy?

See how that works?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr