War in Gaza

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: War in Gaza

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:08 pmFrom the very beginning you were more critical of Israel than Hamas.
I used to work with Israelis and heard their perspective on what they thought of Netanyahu including his role in creating and sustaining Hamas. I think their viewpoints are valid. Many of them were very upset last year when Netanyahu seized control of the Supreme Court, basically seizing complete power. Despite some sympathies I had for the right-wing coalition government, they have handled relations with Palestinians very poorly.
So are the muslims, so are the protesters across America being paid by George Soros.
George Soros has always been staunchly Zionist and pro-Israel. I very much doubt George Soros would suddenly do an about-face and be funding these protests, especially ones that have descended into anti-semitism. This is an unfounded conspiracy theory.
This is war. Hamas was horribly brutal to do what they did and still do. It's so strange your continued position that seems to ignore the fact that Israel was threatened to be completely destroyed, all Jews. I don't think this attempt will succeed.
What the IDF has done to Palestinians is always brutal, and has been going on since 1948. I think both sides need to pursue peace instead of pursuing war. Regardless of one's ethnicity, it's not OK to march in and bulldoze people's homes and decide "this is my land now". America has done much of the same things and it isn't any better when it's done here.

Arab Christians live in a society where they have almost no rights over there. I think that is a very negative thing. To quote one of my former colleagues, "We are basically second-class citizens" and then "We are just 2% now and rapidly becoming a tiny minority in Israel".
1 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:59 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:46 pm
Valerie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:29 pm Jews do not read Jesus teaching. They did not receive Him as the Messiah therefore they are still Old Testament, believe they are still His "elect" chosen. They will defend themselves because they follow the Old Testament and not the New. They won't look at this gs through New Testament lens. In d testament, Jews were taught to kill, go to war, that they belong on the promised land given to them by God, etc so it wouldn't be realistic to expect them to sit and let themselves be destroyed (which was the threat, IS the threat being changed)
Is it your opinion, then, that because the Jews have rejected Jesus as the Messiah that therefore God will give them a pass on their behavior?
No. But God is not against war. He may not like it, but He has called for it, and then there is Revelations. I do believe He is not for Islam, terrorism, nor supportive of what Hamas did.
Do you believe that God called for Israel to be slaughtering all these Gazan civilians and aid workers that they have killed over the past year?
I don't recall that the book of The Revelation contains any instructions for humans to be killing one another. I thought all the references to men killing one another are of evil people.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:22 pm
Valerie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:08 pmFrom the very beginning you were more critical of Israel than Hamas.
I used to work with Israelis and heard their perspective on what they thought of Netanyahu including his role in creating and sustaining Hamas. I think their viewpoints are valid. Many of them were very upset last year when Netanyahu seized control of the Supreme Court, basically seizing complete power. Despite some sympathies I had for the right-wing coalition government, they have handled relations with Palestinians very poorly.
So are the muslims, so are the protesters across America being paid by George Soros.
George Soros has always been staunchly Zionist and pro-Israel. I very much doubt George Soros would suddenly do an about-face and be funding these protests, especially ones that have descended into anti-semitism. This is an unfounded conspiracy theory.
This is war. Hamas was horribly brutal to do what they did and still do. It's so strange your continued position that seems to ignore the fact that Israel was threatened to be completely destroyed, all Jews. I don't think this attempt will succeed.
What the IDF has done to Palestinians is always brutal, and has been going on since 1948. I think both sides need to pursue peace instead of pursuing war. Regardless of one's ethnicity, it's not OK to march in and bulldoze people's homes and decide "this is my land now". America has done much of the same things and it isn't any better when it's done here.

Arab Christians live in a society where they have almost no rights over there. I think that is a very negative thing. To quote one of my former colleagues, "We are basically second-class citizens" and then "We are just 2% now and rapidly becoming a tiny minority in Israel".
It is a fact that Soros has been funding these protests.
October 7 was "only the beginning" for their chants were to destroy the Jews. Every one of them.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/26/us-news/g ... tent-city/
Last edited by Valerie on Mon May 20, 2024 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:34 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:46 pm
Is it your opinion, then, that because the Jews have rejected Jesus as the Messiah that therefore God will give them a pass on their behavior?
No. But God is not against war. He may not like it, but He has called for it, and then there is Revelations. I do believe He is not for Islam, terrorism, nor supportive of what Hamas did.
Do you believe that God called for Israel to be slaughtering all these Gazan civilians and aid workers that they have killed over the past year?
I don't recall that the book of The Revelation contains any instructions for humans to be killing one another. I thought all the references to men killing one another are of evil people.
I believe the Jews are going to defend themselves and my reference to Revelations is the fact that God has allowed war. I'm not sure what Israel is supposed to do to keep from succumbing to the threats of being wiped off the face of the earth.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:53 pm

I believe the Jews are going to defend themselves and my reference to Revelations is the fact that God has allowed war. I'm not sure what Israel is supposed to do to keep from succumbing to the threats of being wiped off the face of the earth.
Where in Revelations do you find God condoning war between humans?
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:49 am What happened to the US dock they were going to build to bring in all the aid needed?
temporal1 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:04 pm
temporal1 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:23 pm
temporal1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:15 am US says a UN agency has agreed to help in distribution of aid to Gaza via sea route
https://apnews.com/article/gaza-israel- ... 4fd542a475

^^i saw something recently specific to use of the dock, i’ll add if i see it again.

yes. it is.
Apr 25 2024 / “U.S. Begins Construction on Temporary Pier to Deliver Humanitarian Aid to Gaza
https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stori ... d-to-gaza/
May 15 2024 / “A massive U.S. dock to deliver food and other humanitarian aid will reach Gaza tonight“
https: xxxx

Reuters / “More than 569 tons of aid delivered across floating pier into Gaza, says US CENTCOM”
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 024-05-21/
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:11 am
Valerie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:53 pm
Where in Revelations do you find God condoning war between humans?
Does it matter if they are humans? It is Jesus who leads His army in Revelations 19 "To make war" using the armies in heaven. Jesus is not seen as a conscientious objector here.

Exodus 3:15
3 The Lord is a man of war: the Lord is his name.

Malachi 3:6

6 For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

I know it is difficult for Anabaptists to see through an OT lens regarding the Jews position and who they are once they were brought back into what they were told by God as their land and they were His people and in their history, they were commanded by God to kill every man woman and child to obtain this- like it or not- they simply will not send it as an Anabaptist and they defend their right to defend themselves lest they be destroyed. You forget as soon as October 7 happened the instruction was to wipe out ALL Jews. Throughout the world. From their perspective, God would not want that-
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:55 am I know it is difficult for Anabaptists to see through an OT lens regarding the Jews position and who they are once they were brought back into what they were told by God as their land and they were His people and in their history, they were commanded by God to kill every man woman and child to obtain this- like it or not- they simply will not send it as an Anabaptist and they defend their right to defend themselves lest they be destroyed. You forget as soon as October 7 happened the instruction was to wipe out ALL Jews. Throughout the world. From their perspective, God would not want that-
Jesus came specifically to Israel and to the Jews and showed them the plan of salvation. Many believed and became Christians and are in fact the founders of our churches (with Jesus being the chief cornerstone).

The Old Testament commandments to the Jews are no longer in force. The veil was torn in two. God no longer wants then to kill every man woman and child and it is frankly very disturbing that a Christian could even suggest that it is somehow biblical to go and kill every man, women, and child in Gaza.
You forget as soon as October 7 happened the instruction was to wipe out ALL Jews. Throughout the world. From their perspective, God would not want that-
One of the political parties currently in the ruling coalition in Israel consists of an ideology to kill all Arabs. (This was actually found to be so offensive and racist that this was banned in Israel, but then the party was simply reconstituted by the same people.) This party was listed as a terrorist organisation by the U.S. until 2022.

Do you think God would want that?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:53 pm I believe the Jews are going to defend themselves and my reference to Revelations is the fact that God has allowed war. I'm not sure what Israel is supposed to do to keep from succumbing to the threats of being wiped off the face of the earth.
Jesus told them exactly what to do: lay down arms and follow him instead, and he offered eternal life.
1 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:48 am
Valerie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:55 am I know it is difficult for Anabaptists to see through an OT lens regarding the Jews position and who they are once they were brought back into what they were told by God as their land and they were His people and in their history, they were commanded by God to kill every man woman and child to obtain this- like it or not- they simply will not send it as an Anabaptist and they defend their right to defend themselves lest they be destroyed. You forget as soon as October 7 happened the instruction was to wipe out ALL Jews. Throughout the world. From their perspective, God would not want that-
Jesus came specifically to Israel and to the Jews and showed them the plan of salvation. Many believed and became Christians and are in fact the founders of our churches (with Jesus being the chief cornerstone).

The Old Testament commandments to the Jews are no longer in force. The veil was torn in two. God no longer wants then to kill every man woman and child and it is frankly very disturbing that a Christian could even suggest that it is somehow biblical to go and kill every man, women, and child in Gaza.
You forget as soon as October 7 happened the instruction was to wipe out ALL Jews. Throughout the world. From their perspective, God would not want that-
One of the political parties currently in the ruling coalition in Israel consists of an ideology to kill all Arabs. (This was actually found to be so offensive and racist that this was banned in Israel, but then the party was simply reconstituted by the same people.) This party was listed as a terrorist organisation by the U.S. until 2022.

Do you think God would want that?
I won't speak for God on this. I'm simply conveying the way Jews throughout their history see their position as well as how God told them in their past to kill every man woman and child in aces where He was giving them ability to conquer. Since they have become a nation again there were miraculous reports during their wars. I believe they would see that as Providential. I'm pretty sure God is not in favor of terrorism nor the spread of Islam, nor the annihilation of the Jews- true Jews that are not messianic are certainly not Christ followers, but the world in general see them as God's people, not Islamic or pagan. I realize how Christians view all this although not all agree on all things Israel, prophetically speaking.
0 x