Poll: Gun Violence

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

Check all that apply...

1. I have a family member who was killed by a firearm.
4%
2. I have witnessed a firearm causing bodily injury or death.
7%
3. I have never witnessed a firearm injury and have never had a family member killed by a firearm.
28%
4. I own a firearm and keep ammunition out of sight and at a different place than where the firearm is. (neither the firearm nor ammunition is locked up)
13%
5. I own a firearm and keep ammunition in it or at the same place as the firearm. (neither the firearm nor ammunition is locked up)
3%
6. I own a firearm and keep it and/or the ammunition locked up.
7%
7. I would never use a firearm on a human being.
32%
8. I would only use a firearm in self-defense.
3%
9. If I or my country's "rights" or "freedoms" were threatened, I might use a firearm against those taking away my freedoms.
1%
10. I would go to war as a combatant if drafted by the military.
1%

Total votes: 69

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Poll: Gun Violence

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:09 pm
I'm not sure why you are fixated on the fact that machine guns are already illegal. I would venture to guess that far less than 1% of all gun deaths in the US are the result of machine guns. They are not the main problem. Unrestricted firearms in general are the problem. Most school shootings and other murders are done by ordinary legal AR-style rifles or semi-automatic handguns.
Ernie posted a news article about machinegun violence. So it seems relevant to talk about the fact possession, trafficking, manufacture, or use of such machineguns is already a serious felony.
The reason state (and city) efforts at regulating firearms are ineffective is because we have free and unrestricted interstate commerce in this country. There are no border stations at the CA, IL, and NY borders searching and inspecting all vehicles crossing the border into those state (like there is at the US border).
Law enforcement certainly could profile and pull over suspects they suspect may have illegal guns.
Which is why most state level efforts are going to be ineffective or at lest inadequate. Some state regulations such as mandating safe storage (trigger locks or gun safes) may have some benefit of reducing some accidental killing of children and theft.

So most meaningful and effective firearms regulation will need to be done at the Federal level.
Machineguns are already illegal at the federal level.
0 x