Gaza's Irrational Hatred

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Gaza's Irrational Hatred

Post by RZehr »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:13 pm These people are bent on destroying each other. Humanly speaking no settlement is possible. Both sides will kill any of their own that try to settler less than "From the river to the sea" or "All of greater Israel" depending which side you are on. We just need to disengage from both sides, least we get even more blood on our hands.
We who?
How does just disengaging from both sides square with blessed are the peacemakers?
We Christians? We Americans?
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:37 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:13 pm These people are bent on destroying each other. Humanly speaking no settlement is possible. Both sides will kill any of their own that try to settler less than "From the river to the sea" or "All of greater Israel" depending which side you are on. We just need to disengage from both sides, least we get even more blood on our hands.
We who?
How does just disengaging from both sides square with blessed are the peacemakers?
There are hundreds of other conflicts around the world. Maybe prioritize?

For example, Sudan is in the middle of horrific conflict yet no one in this country pays the slightest bit of attention to it. Why is that?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:50 pm
We who?

For example, Sudan is in the middle of horrific conflict yet no one in this country pays the slightest bit of attention to it. Why is that?
So should we disengage with all of them? I mean, I’m personally pretty disengaged already, but I don’t know that it the ideal.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:54 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:50 pm
We who?

So should we disengage with all of them? I mean, I’m personally pretty disengaged already, but I don’t know that it the ideal.
No, I'm saying that the Israel/Palestine conflict seems to be especially intractable and unlikely to get resolved in our lifetimes absent a complete change of thinking among the majorities on both sides.

So maybe look elsewhere to places where efforts might be more productive. For example and just off the top of my head, Haiti. What can we do to help bring peace to Haiti? I would have more hope of accomplishing something there than in Gaza or the West Bank. And I expect Haitians are more welcoming of change than Palestinians and Israelis.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:03 pm I think it's entirely reasonable to say that the nation of Israel was a victim here.

What I think is nonsense is your claim that Hamas is in no way at fault for killing Israeli civilians.
i think of it as Israel was the TARGET, it’s not unusual for those construed as powerful, rich, successful, gifted, etc., to find themselves tempting targets. In the short Thomas Sowell video, P.3, he mentions, toward the end, there are benefits to FAILING.

The U.S. was targeted at Pearl Harbor and on 9-11-01. Rich or not, it’s not ok.

The word, “victim” has become a trigger word for some, as well as being overused.
So many want to own+control language, often for political purposes.

- - - - - - -

Recently, P.268 Russia-Ukraine, The Eichenfeld Massacre / viewtopic.php?t=4584&start=2670
there’s an account of some Mennonites who became locally successful in farming, they became targets of jealousy+hate.

P.269:
Neto wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:28 pm More on Nestor Makhno and the slaughter of Mennonites - responses to the video.

The Nogai and Tatar are two separate nomadic tribes.

The videographer slaughters most names, both surnames and common German language first names.
(For instance, Toews is pronounced ‘tayves’ not ‘toes’.I can’t remember now how he messed up Gerhard.)

I have to wonder what his objective was. Was it anti-Russian? Anti-Ukrainian? I couldn’t tell. But he didn’t seem to know that Makhno was Ukrainian, and that the Anarchists were not Communists. Makhno’s aim was a free Ukraine with an anarchist ‘government’. That is, an informal government that would be created whenever it was necessary, but generally non-existent. Since he was a Ukrainian for a free Ukraine, it is not surprising that his forces were made up of local Ukrainians. Also, that they were largely peasants, many of whom were former serfs. (Makno’s own grandparents had been serfs.)

As I suggested earlier, it is doubtful that Makhno had complete control over his ‘army”, probably not even over his own ‘generals’. (From what little I know of him, I also get the impression that he was a lot more idealistic – more drive by his sociological theories – than were the men in his inner circle. He was probably nothing but a common thief until a murder got him put in prison, where for at least part of his time there he was kept with some intellectual type political prisoners, through whom be became radicalized.)

One thing DOES come through, accurately, I suspect - the terror of this type of invasion, what the so-called "Kulags" experienced. (He was also not only targeting the Kulags - anyone who has more that you, but also the organized church. :cry:

Both were seen as having stolen from the poor for their own benefit. Ostentatious mansions and church buildings.)

But this is not the only place where atrocities of this nature have been carried out, or ARE being carried out.

We can join the Jewish people and cry out "Never Again!",
but as long as evil remains in the world, there will continue to be more 'agains'.
:cry:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

We who?
i think it’s reasonable to consider, because Christians have not spread The Gospel well enough, convincingly enough, Hamas attacked Israel, and Israel did not turn the other cheek.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
danfreed
Affiliation: MtValleyMenno/Faith

Post by danfreed »

i think it’s reasonable to consider, because Christians have not spread The Gospel well enough, convincingly enough, Hamas attacked Israel, and Israel did not turn the other cheek.
t1
Your consideration of placing the blame for this war on Christians who have not spread the Gospel is sobering to me.

If you truly believe this cause-effect link is true, then specifically, what are you recommending "we" should do to correct this?

(By we, I mean peace-loving followers of Jesus.)

For me, I plan to pray today - specifically asking God to stop this war, and to open doors for food and water, and to open hearts to receive the message of salvation through Jesus to every one (on all sides) who are caught in this killing/starving situation.
I also want to engage more directly in helping, as He gives direction.
0 x
My spiritual perspectives are Jesus-centered, evangelical anabaptist, New Testament Bible based...
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Since 10/6, the few Christians left in Gaza have been effectively exterminated. The few churches left also were bombed to smithereens.

I still am awaiting hearing how, exactly, Israel needs to bomb churches holding frightened children in order to “defend itself”.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:08 am No, I'm saying that the Israel/Palestine conflict seems to be especially intractable and unlikely to get resolved in our lifetimes absent a complete change of thinking among the majorities on both sides.
I think the Abraham Accords were a great step towards this. This seems to be the reason for the 10/7 attacks. Certain sections wanted that to stop because it was taking away Iran/Hamas power bases. I think getting back on track with that would do more than all the fighting, but there still is the issue of hostages and continued torture of them. There are still American and Israeli hostages. The US Government should be exerting all social/political/economic pressures to free their hostages too.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Post by JohnHurt »

Hamas was created by the State of Israel, and is under the control of Israel.

The October 7th Hamas attack was set up by Israel to attack itself, to provide a pretense for the destruction of Gaza.

The optics were perfect. All of the videos of this attack were made available worldwide immediately to mold public opinion in favor of Israel.

If the October 7th attack was not a manufactured pretense for the invasion of Gaza, then Israel would be looking at the videos, identifying and finding the people responsible and bringing just the perpetrators to justice. But they are not doing that. Israel is using October 7th to destroy ALL of the people of Gaza. That is how you know it was a false flag, or pretext for the invasion of Gaza.

Willfully targeting civilians, collective guilt/collective punishment, murder/genocide based on race - these are all war crimes being committed by Israel.

So what is the solution?

Give everyone in Palestine the right to vote. Withhold all US funding for Israel until the Palestinians have the right to vote in free and fair elections.

Withholding funds is what brought down the Apartheid regime in South Africa. By boycotting products made in South Africa, the world required the De Klerk government in South Africa to abolish Apartheid and extend the right to vote to everyone.

The same should happen to Israel. No one should buy products made in Israel until they extend the right to vote to all people. All products made in Israel have a bar code prefix of "729". If you see this code, put it back on the shelf and tell the manager.

Every person is made in the image of God. No Christian should side with racist Israel to wage war on the defenseless Palestinian civilians. Even if they are Muslims, they are still God's children. They still deserve to live.

Let's pray that the racist Netanyahu government is replaced by a government that will defend the rights of all men. Prayer can achieve many great things.
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."