What is your (or your media's) perception of the Navalnays...

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

What is your (or your media's) perception of the Navalnays...

Post by Jazman »

I'm curious about the perception of the Navalnays is...(one now dead, the other a widow)
I'm especially wondering what the right of center media sphere thinks of them... given that a lot of make-america-great-again media is pro-Putin, and Mr Navalnay and now his widow were anti-Putin, I would assume that a lot of make-america-great-again media is also anti-Navalany?
But maybe my assumption is wrong. Could anyone, especially anyone who gets most of their news and opinion from the right of center well, help me out here?
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: What is your (or your media's) perception of the Navalnays...

Post by MaxPC »

Personally, I see a great deal of criticism of Russia in the center-right sources as well. I do think that in an election year the propaganda machine is trying on the message that center-right and right leaning groups are “Russia” friendly. I disagree with this as most of those groups are anti-Communism.

In the usual droll commentaries out of the UK, they are having a bit of a sarcasm-fest with the Russian explanation his death was due to Sudden Cardiac Death Syndrome. An article that will give some perspective https://www.gbnews.com/news/navalny-s-d ... make-sense
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I mostly only watch news on the BBC. I suppose they may be a bit left, I don't know. But while I do not have many associations with either political side here in the States, I don't know any MAGA people who are Pro-Russia, or Pro-Putin. Stereo types, I would say, but again, I really don't know. (I did think that the video of former President R. M. Nixon (to which I linked in the Russia Invades... thread) was interesting and perceptive. I am also of the opinion that Gorbachev was an important statesman, and that he will someday be recognized as such. (One point Nixon made was that 'democracy' is not, so to speak, in the Russian DNA, and if it had succeeded there, it would have had a far-reaching impact in many other countries. Not his words, just my summary.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:47 pm I mostly only watch news on the BBC. I suppose they may be a bit left, I don't know. But while I do not have many associations with either political side here in the States, I don't know any MAGA people who are Pro-Russia, or Pro-Putin. Stereo types, I would say, but again, I really don't know. (I did think that the video of former President R. M. Nixon (to which I linked in the Russia Invades... thread) was interesting and perceptive. I am also of the opinion that Gorbachev was an important statesman, and that he will someday be recognized as such. (One point Nixon made was that 'democracy' is not, so to speak, in the Russian DNA, and if it had succeeded there, it would have had a far-reaching impact in many other countries. Not his words, just my summary.)
Yes, the Beeb does lean somewhat left but it does offer a different POV than CNN, MSN, etc. To the BBCs credit they have tried to be more balanced in their reporting of late.

I do believe that Gorbachev has much more respect from the West than he ever will receive in Russia but then I see this as yet another positive proof of Jesus’ words in Mark 6:4.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Neto wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:47 pm I mostly only watch news on the BBC. I suppose they may be a bit left, I don't know. But while I do not have many associations with either political side here in the States, I don't know any MAGA people who are Pro-Russia, or Pro-Putin. Stereo types, I would say, but again, I really don't know. (I did think that the video of former President R. M. Nixon (to which I linked in the Russia Invades... thread) was interesting and perceptive. I am also of the opinion that Gorbachev was an important statesman, and that he will someday be recognized as such. (One point Nixon made was that 'democracy' is not, so to speak, in the Russian DNA, and if it had succeeded there, it would have had a far-reaching impact in many other countries. Not his words, just my summary.)
Well, Pizza Hut did recognise him.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

From what I have read, Navalny was anti-Putin but not really pro-Western in any meaningful way. He advocated for the same Russian nationalist expansionary policies as Putin to basically restore the former Russian empire to the extent that it reached during the Soviet era.

So had he actually taken power democratically, it wouldn't have turned Russia into some larger version of Sweden. It would have been the same Russia, but perhaps less belligerent and more willing to work with the west on mutual issues. Perhaps more like our current relationship with China.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:12 pm Well, Pizza Hut did recognise him.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:20 pm From what I have read, Navalny was anti-Putin but not really pro-Western in any meaningful way. He advocated for the same Russian nationalist expansionary policies as Putin to basically restore the former Russian empire to the extent that it reached during the Soviet era.

So had he actually taken power democratically, it wouldn't have turned Russia into some larger version of Sweden. It would have been the same Russia, but perhaps less belligerent and more willing to work with the west on mutual issues. Perhaps more like our current relationship with China.
I perceive the Western countries’ advocacy for him as them just thinking “we want anyone other than Putin”. Navalny was indeed a Russian nationalist, although I don’t think he supported the meat-grinder SMO costing thousands of lives. (A lot of Russian nationalists think it’s a disaster nowadays.)
0 x