Lancaster Online: web usage among Amish & Mennonites

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Lancaster Online: web usage among Amish & Mennonites

Post by steve-in-kville »

2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Lancaster Online: web usage among Amish & Mennonites

Post by MaxPC »

This is an insightful article, Steve. Thank you for posting it. The internet question is never simple, is it?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:47 am This is an insightful article, Steve. Thank you for posting it. The internet question is never simple, is it?
Back in 2007, most plain people (by numbers) still aren’t on the Internet. My own affiliation barely used it. There was definitely very little blogging going on.
0 x
Verity
Affiliation: NFC

Post by Verity »

Thanks for posting, Steve. Despite the ruffled feathers over Appalachian pulling out of Eastern, many Eastern folks have a lot of respect for the stand Appalachian is taking. The Appalachian members I know take their commitment to the standards very seriously, even avoiding asking others to order online for them, not using email, etc.

I've wondered at times if Eastern's justification of the internet (after the church wide vote was overwhelming negative) has more to do with the Swiss/German "efficiency is equal to godliness" mindset. My own roots are Swiss, so I see this mindset clearly in my non-Mennonite relatives as well.
0 x
eccentric_rambler
Affiliation: NMB->Ultra

Post by eccentric_rambler »

Verity wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:32 am I've wondered at times if Eastern's justification of the internet (after the church wide vote was overwhelming negative)
My memory of the announcement is that the vote was close (within a few percentage points?), but I don't have any record of that. That the final decision overrode the agreed upon procedure makes me uncomfortable. Do you remember what the difference was between the required percentage and the actual?
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

eccentric_rambler wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:13 am
Verity wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:32 am I've wondered at times if Eastern's justification of the internet (after the church wide vote was overwhelming negative)
My memory of the announcement is that the vote was close (within a few percentage points?), but I don't have any record of that. That the final decision overrode the agreed upon procedure makes me uncomfortable. Do you remember what the difference was between the required percentage and the actual?
A convert family in our local Eastern church left at that time because of the way the Eastern bishops overrode their agreed upon procedure in order to bring in the Internet. It was really hard for a lot of lay members to stomach that, and it isn't surprising that a number of people eventually left because of it.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Verity
Affiliation: NFC

Post by Verity »

Sorry, I do not have the exact number in front of me. The required percentage was 75% from the laity. The bishops carried the remaining 25%. Checking with some others, the general consensus was the laity vote was in the low nineties, but I do not have proof. The bishop's original vote was also majority against the internet, but again, I do not have that number, only record that "the church wide vote concerning the internet was negative and we will be working to align our practice with this vote".
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Dare I ask, what is EPMC's position on the web? My former employer was EPMC and back then it was a pretty hot topic. And that was 17 years ago!
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Verity wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:05 am
Sorry, I do not have the exact number in front of me. The required percentage was 75% from the laity. The bishops carried the remaining 25%. Checking with some others, the general consensus was the laity vote was in the low nineties, but I do not have proof. The bishop's original vote was also majority against the internet, but again, I do not have that number, only record that "the church wide vote concerning the internet was negative and we will be working to align our practice with this vote".
Now I'm confused... that was the vote against Internet... and yet it started to be used anyway?
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:37 pm
Verity wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:05 am

Now I'm confused... that was the vote against Internet... and yet it started to be used anyway?
In my conference, a change in policy requires a 75% approval vote by the ministry, followed by a 75% approval vote by all conference members. Eastern operates similarly, and as I understand it, the vote carried by the ministry (or the bishops, not sure), but was then voted down by the members at large. Normally this would mean a policy change does not carry. But the bishops overrode the vote of the membership and decided to allow the Internet anyway. It was a power move, because they could.

My assumption is that this is because the Eastern bishops/ministry had invested a lot of time and support over a number of years for developing an Internet filtering solution that would enable their membership to use it according to their guidelines. (Compass Foundation, I believe.) They weren't about to have the membership undo all that work and negate the whole thing.

Those of you from Eastern can correct me where I'm wrong here.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3