Sattler College Turmoil

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Re: Sattler College Turmoil

Post by joshuabgood »

Soloist wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:46 pm
joshuabgood wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:37 pm In other news, I have two Sattler grads working for me and I am very happy with their work.
What do you do for a profession?
School leadership
0 x
jahertz
Affiliation:

Post by jahertz »

AnthonyMartin wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:22 am No payroll, inducements, or freebies involved.
HA! Do we look like people who believe something just because we see it on the Internet?
0 x
jahertz
Affiliation:

Post by jahertz »

RZehr wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:55 am
AnthonyMartin wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:22 am No payroll, inducements, or freebies involved.
Well that is disappointing. If I manage to ever visit, I kinda had my hopes set on some payroll, inducements, or freebies.
But Thai sounds delicious, that will do.
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that just because these things were (allegedly) not offered to AnthonyMartin, they aren't available to someone willing to do a little negotiating. 🤷
0 x
jahertz
Affiliation:

Post by jahertz »

RZehr wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:56 am
Dan Z wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:30 am
Product of a good Sattler education... :)
Nah. I doubt he went to Sattler. I’m gonna claim it was that high quality 1st grade in parochial.
Okay this comment is delightful. RZehr, thanks for making my evening.

It just goes to show how far a good foundation can get you even if what's built on top is questionable in the extreme.
2 x
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

jahertz wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:09 pm
HA! Do we look like people who believe something just because we see it on the Internet?
Honestly, you all look like disembodied user names that can be insulted at will without fear of consequences. What is JAH Ertz anyway? A wanna be Haile Selassie who plays football?
2 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

AnthonyMartin wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:25 pm
jahertz wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:09 pm
Honestly, you all look like disembodied user names that can be insulted at will without fear of consequences. What is JAH Ertz anyway? A wanna be Haile Selassie who plays football?
I analyze people daily regarding behavioral discord and this exhibits all of the markers we use to identify threat levels.
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Laudatefan
Affiliation: Nondenom

Post by Laudatefan »

Wow, this thread is complex.

I dug deeper on the letter that ErnestEby posted written by Marlin Weaver and it is disturbing. Marlin has been sending this "open letter" to people not even connected to the issue. At least two ministers I know of in PA got the letter a while back and said, "Why are we getting this letter?" They felt turned off because it seems like a gossip campaign. He also sent to some people a private recording of a meeting that is described in the letter. He did not get consent from participants to share this recording broadly. I also got a copy of this recording and listened to it so that I could comment correctly. I've also spoken to people closely involved to form an informed picture of the truth. Here are my main concerns.

1. Marlin's sharing private materials broadly and without consent is bad form. (He did this with another apology letter as well.) The fact that he was even considered for a Dean of Students role at Sattler is a red flag. Someone in a Dean role should know how to keep things private. I wouldn't want my son or daughter talking to him privately and having him distribute that information across the country. Marlin's letter certainly makes him look not very trustworthy in my eyes.

2. In his "open" letter, he takes things that other people say in the room and puts them in Finny Kuruvilla's mouth. I listened to the recording and it blew me away. It seems quite dishonest. Marlin should apologize to him for falsely attributing words he didn't say. If you're going to write an open letter, at least do it with honesty and care. Again, this seems more like a gossip and revenge campaign than seeking the truth or promoting any kind of healing.

3. I have confirmed that at least three people have reached out to Marlin for reconciliation meetings and that he has declined all three. Rather than reconcile, he launches this campaign? This is deeply unbiblical. We as a community need to be known for reconciliation. I'm sure the guy is hurting, but aren't there people around him to tell him that he is operating in the flesh? This open letter does nothing but make Marlin look bad and promote bad blood.

If anyone has Marlin Weaver's contact information, I would urge them to get a hold of him and urge him to correct all of this and make things right.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Laudatefan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:18 am Wow, this thread is complex.

I dug deeper on the letter that ErnestEby posted written by Marlin Weaver and it is disturbing. Marlin has been sending this "open letter" to people not even connected to the issue. At least two ministers I know of in PA got the letter a while back and said, "Why are we getting this letter?" They felt turned off because it seems like a gossip campaign. He also sent to some people a private recording of a meeting that is described in the letter. He did not get consent from participants to share this recording broadly. I also got a copy of this recording and listened to it so that I could comment correctly. I've also spoken to people closely involved to form an informed picture of the truth. Here are my main concerns.

1. Marlin's sharing private materials broadly and without consent is bad form. (He did this with another apology letter as well.) The fact that he was even considered for a Dean of Students role at Sattler is a red flag. Someone in a Dean role should know how to keep things private. I wouldn't want my son or daughter talking to him privately and having him distribute that information across the country. Marlin's letter certainly makes him look not very trustworthy in my eyes.

2. In his "open" letter, he takes things that other people say in the room and puts them in Finny Kuruvilla's mouth. I listened to the recording and it blew me away. It seems quite dishonest. Marlin should apologize to him for falsely attributing words he didn't say. If you're going to write an open letter, at least do it with honesty and care. Again, this seems more like a gossip and revenge campaign than seeking the truth or promoting any kind of healing.

3. I have confirmed that at least three people have reached out to Marlin for reconciliation meetings and that he has declined all three. Rather than reconcile, he launches this campaign? This is deeply unbiblical. We as a community need to be known for reconciliation. I'm sure the guy is hurting, but aren't there people around him to tell him that he is operating in the flesh? This open letter does nothing but make Marlin look bad and promote bad blood.

If anyone has Marlin Weaver's contact information, I would urge them to get a hold of him and urge him to correct all of this and make things right.
I admit to being curious whether you got permission from all of the participants in that private meeting before listening to the recording.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Laudatefan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:18 am Wow, this thread is complex.

Trying to use Matthew 18 in this manner is abusing this passage. You have someone with an internet publishing empire, who has published books and effectively owns a college being accorded the rights to a process clearly intended to apply to brothers within a local fellowship. Once the issue moves into an academic/publishing context, Matthew 18 clearly does not apply, and was not what was envisioned by this passage when delivered. It even has a local body as the arbiter of these differences, does this apply here.

I would suggest rather the one who has the power differential needs to repent of misusing it. Once again, I would urge anyone considering this college to stay away.

It is effectively giving one with a huge power differential permission to exploit it freely. Like the guy that responded when I wrote a review of one of Beth Moore’s books “did you discuss this with her and attempt to reconcile your differences.” Of course not, the concept does not apply.
0 x
:hug:
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Even if he approached this the wrong way, he is only the tip of the iceberg and this school has serious issues with top leadership and honesty.
If you really have looked into this, you would know he is far from the only casualty from interactions with Finny and his supporters.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat