USA / CANADA / vaccination / foreign nationals

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

USA / CANADA / vaccination / foreign nationals

Post by Ernie »

From the beginning of the pandemic, Canada was much more strict than the US about masking, crowdsize, vaccination, quarantine, etc.
US border officials even let unvaccinated foreigners enter the US on occasion. I have unvaccinated Canadian relatives that try entering the US periodically. Sometimes they are let into the US. Sometimes they are turned back.

Then in September, 2022, Canada suddenly dropped all vaccine and quarantine requirements, while the US continues to keep its vaccination requirement in place.

What do you think is the reason for Canada's swift change in policy?

Why is the US so slow in changing its policy? (I don't think it has to do with Title 42 because that applies to people who enter the US illegally.)
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: USA / CANADA / vaccination / foreign nationals

Post by RZehr »

White supremacy, racism, bigotry, and probably the patriarchy. Just guessing.
1 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

RZehr wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:46 am White supremacy, racism, bigotry, and probably the patriarchy. Just guessing.
Also ableism
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Karstan78
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Karstan78 »

Ernie wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:26 am From the beginning of the pandemic, Canada was much more strict than the US about masking, crowdsize, vaccination, quarantine, etc.
US border officials even let unvaccinated foreigners enter the US on occasion. I have unvaccinated Canadian relatives that try entering the US periodically. Sometimes they are let into the US. Sometimes they are turned back.

Then in September, 2022, Canada suddenly dropped all vaccine and quarantine requirements, while the US continues to keep its vaccination requirement in place.

Why is the US so slow in changing its policy? (I don't think it has to do with Title 42 because that applies to people who enter the US illegally.)
I think as evidence came to light re: the hidden information that BioNTech failed/did not have to disclose in terms of being vaccinated does not stop the spread, governments started bowing out of the harsher restrictions. “Stopping the spread” through multiple vaccines and boosters was proven to be misleading and to continue pushing that narrative would have many, many more people protesting the vaccine passports, 3GS etc.
Germany and Australia also very harsh on their Covid restrictions seemed to start relaxing around the time the information started getting out.

As for the US, election promises probably have a lot to play here.
0 x
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

Ernie wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:26 am From the beginning of the pandemic, Canada was much more strict than the US about masking, crowdsize, vaccination, quarantine, etc.

I think there are innumerable US bureaucrats who were paid off by the various vaccine manufacturers or otherwise were complicit in corruption, and got us into the mess that was public health policy during the COVID pandemic. No one one wants to start tugging at those threads. We're in a post-truth environment, so the public health types can just keep screaming that the scientific consensus is that vaccines, lockdowns and masks save lives.

There are politicians in Canada that are trying this too, like Rachel Notley, but they're not getting a lot of traction. I also think the reaction against the trucker protest really woke a lot of Canadians up, and they just don't see the point any more (this is based on some personal accounts).

To a certain extent, most of the civilized world just followed the direction of the west, and the US leads the west right now. As these nations have realized that what they were following was seat-of-the-pants bureaucratic guesses that had more to do with political posturing than anything else, they have stopped following our lead. I think we're seeing the aftershocks of this globally, as the US is losing influence faster than at any time in my lifetime.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

I've crossed the US-Canada border dozens and dozens of times going back 30+ years. Many times crossing the US-Canada border in Alaska. And many times between Washington and British Columbia.

Generally speaking the Canadians have always been more friendly and relaxed about border admissions than US. And definitely less militarized. The only real exception to that rule is crossing the border with firearms which the Canadians have no sense of humor about at all.

It doesn't surprise me that the US is more restrictive when it comes to the pandemic. They have always been more restrictive on the border going back decades before anyone ever even heard of COVID.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:26 am
Why is the US so slow in changing its policy?
The 2 Ps: Profit and Politics.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:42 pm
How do they profit from this?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sliceitup wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:49 pm
MaxPC wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:42 pm
How do they profit from this?
Have you heard of Pfizer and Moderna?
1 x
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

Ernie wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:26 amI have unvaccinated Canadian relatives that try entering the US periodically. Sometimes they are let into the US. Sometimes they are turned back.
Are they asked for proof of vaccination (and let in anyway), or do they get in when the officers just don’t check? I’m assuming they’re all Canadian citizens only, and none could claim dual American citizenship (and thus can’t be denied entry)?
0 x