Abortion Rates by Countries of the World

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Abortion Rates by Countries of the World

Post by Ernie »

I find this information interesting, but sad.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country

I think this definitely reflects religious views. But I was surprised that Russia is 72% Orthodox and still has the most abortions. I suppose the Russian Orthodox are not as strong on this as Catholics. (e.g. see Mexico)

I do wonder why the abortion rate in Finland is so low.

Abortions in the US make up less than 2% of induced abortions world-wide. So there is still a lot of work to be done around the world in promoting the sanctity of life.
Last edited by ohio jones on Tue May 03, 2022 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited at OP request
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Abortion Rates by Countries of the World

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:24 pm I find this information interesting.

I think this definitely reflects religious views. But I was surprised that Russia is 72% Orthodox and still has the most abortions. I suppose the Russian Orthodox are not as strong on this as Catholics. (e.g. see Mexico)

Abortions in the US make up less than 2% of induced abortions world-wide. So there is still a lot of work to be done around the world in promoting the sanctity of life.
Finland and other northern European countries like Belgium and Switzerland have low abortion rates because they have low rates of unplanned pregnancies due to universal and comprehensive sex education in schools and universal access to birth control. In Finland, for example, kids from 8th grade onward can get free birth control from their school nurse without their parents being notified. And not just condoms, but birth control pills. So every teen in Finland not only has comprehensive sex education, but universal access to free birth control without parent notification. That tends to really minimize the number of unplanned pregnancies.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Letter to the US Supreme Court by Mother Teresa in 1994.
https://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/users/ ... a_roe.html

This paragraph stood out to me.
The Constitutional Court of the Federal Republic of Germany recently ruled that “the unborn child is entitled to its rights to life independently of acceptance by its mother; this is an elementary and inalienable right that emanates from the dignity of the human being.” Americans may feel justly proud that Germany in 1993 was able to recognize the sanctity of human life. You must weep that your own government, at present, seems blind to this truth.
I was not aware that Germany is among the few western nations who give rights to unborn children.
2 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Ernie wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:59 pm Letter to the US Supreme Court by Mother Teresa in 1994.

The Constitutional Court of the Federal Republic of Germany recently ruled that “the unborn child is entitled to its rights to life independently of acceptance by its mother; this is an elementary and inalienable right that emanates from the dignity of the human being.” Americans may feel justly proud that Germany in 1993 was able to recognize the sanctity of human life. You must weep that your own government, at present, seems blind to this truth.
I was not aware that Germany is among the few western nations who give rights to unborn children.
Powerful.
.. It was a sad infidelity to America's highest ideals when this Court said that it did not matter, or could not be determined, when the inalienable right to life began for a child in its mother's womb.

America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation.
The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men.
It has sown violence and discord at the heart of the most intimate human relationships.

It has aggravated the derogation of the father's role in an increasingly fatherless society.
It has portrayed the greatest of gifts—a child—as a competitor, an intrusion, and an inconvenience. It has nominally accorded mothers unfettered domination over the independent lives of their physically dependent sons and daughters.

And, in granting this unconscionable power, it has exposed many women to unjust and selfish demands from their husbands or other sexual partners.

Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity.
The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. ..

In 1994, i believe M Teresa was referring to the human right to live when she wrote “human rights.”
Not the right to sin, or commit crimes, like murder.

Even animals know to nourish+protect their young. Only “advanced human reasoning” could contort otherwise.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Abortion rates are low in post modern countries because of how they define abortion.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Karstan78
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Karstan78 »

Ken wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:34 pm
Ernie wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:24 pm I find this information interesting.

Finland and other northern European countries like Belgium and Switzerland have low abortion rates because they have low rates of unplanned pregnancies due to universal and comprehensive sex education in schools and universal access to birth control. In Finland, for example, kids from 8th grade onward can get free birth control from their school nurse without their parents being notified. And not just condoms, but birth control pills. So every teen in Finland not only has comprehensive sex education, but universal access to free birth control without parent notification. That tends to really minimize the number of unplanned pregnancies.
What’s also interesting is that the age of consent is generally around 14 and in some at 12!
1 x
Karstan78
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Karstan78 »

Ernie wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:59 pm Letter to the US Supreme Court by Mother Teresa in 1994.

The leftists are trying to remove this as they imply it was due to Nazism…. Thank God for this moment the unborn are still given some rights.
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

India and Mexico are also low. Any idea why?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Ernie wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:24 pm I think this definitely reflects religious views. But I was surprised that Russia is 72% Orthodox and still has the most abortions. I suppose the Russian Orthodox are not as strong on this as Catholics. (e.g. see Mexico)
During the Soviet era, contraception was often not available and so had higher abortion rates. It’s been a long time since I read it, but I think that Hendrick Smith’s book, The Russians, mentions that abortion was used as contraception.

The site you linked to mentions the following factors that affect abortion rates:
Perhaps surprisingly, studies show that abortion rates are often higher in nations where abortion is illegal than they are in nations where it is legal. This is because abortion tends to be more readily available in wealthier, more developed nations, where women are less likely to experience an unplanned pregnancy—in large part because birth control and proper sexual education are also widely available and sexual crimes are less common.

Conversely, women in developing and least-developed countries, who tend to have decreased access to birth control and education, but who are more often the victims of sexual crimes, are three times more likely to experience an unplanned pregnancy. Yet, 93 percent of the countries with the most restrictive abortion laws are developing nations.

As a result of these factors, the market for abortions is greater in underdeveloped countries even when abortion is legally prohibited. With no legal recourse, pregnant women in these countries often turn to unlicensed and illegal abortion clinics to obtain an abortion. Illegal abortions are more dangerous than legal abortions, as they tend to be conducted by people with less training, and they come with higher risks and complications, including the risk of death of the mother.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Karstan78 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:52 am What’s also interesting is that the age of consent is generally around 14 and in some at 12!
The age of consent in Germany is 14 if both people are under the age of 18. That seems to be an important qualifier.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford