Poll #1: Perspectives Related to the Covid Pandemic

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

Check all that apply as it relates to the Covid-19 topic.

Total votes: 0

Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Poll: Response to Covid Pandemic

Post by Wade »

Ernie wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:43 am Feel free to update your poll selections anytime.

It looks like #'s 6-10 have not changed at all since July of last year. I'm guessing that by July of 2020, the majority of folks in the US had decided who they trusted for news and science and have basically dug in their heels since then. There is a small percentage across the US since July of 2020 who became proponents of mitigation efforts (after getting really sick, losing a loved one, or experiencing long term health effects), but they seem to be in the minority. Likewise there is a small percentage who have decided since July of 2020 that precautions are unnecessary, since they don't personally know people who died or are experiencing long term health effects. But by July of 2020, I'm guessing the majority of Americans found sources they trusted and have stayed with those sources ever since.

Are your observations similar?
Unfortunately, it has been some of the most important relationships that have been stressed the most in regards to trust. With all the accusations towards those who are oppressed from gathering in Western Canada or accusations and attempts at coercion guilting towards those who question unapproved unethical vaccines by lesser conservatives my trust toward people below intermediate conservative has been very greatly squashed to nearly nothing. Mennonet has become more and more unwelcoming to those who want to sincerely put God first thoughtfully and follow Christ in faith personally and practically.
Fair well!
:wave:
0 x
QuietObserver
Affiliation:

Post by QuietObserver »

Wade wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:16 pm
Ernie wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:43 am Feel free to update your poll selections anytime.

It looks like #'s 6-10 have not changed at all since July of last year. I'm guessing that by July of 2020, the majority of folks in the US had decided who they trusted for news and science and have basically dug in their heels since then. There is a small percentage across the US since July of 2020 who became proponents of mitigation efforts (after getting really sick, losing a loved one, or experiencing long term health effects), but they seem to be in the minority. Likewise there is a small percentage who have decided since July of 2020 that precautions are unnecessary, since they don't personally know people who died or are experiencing long term health effects. But by July of 2020, I'm guessing the majority of Americans found sources they trusted and have stayed with those sources ever since.

Unfortunately, it has been the most important relationships that have been stressed the most in regards to trust. With all the accusations towards those who are oppressed from gathering in Western Canada or accusations and attempts at coercion guilting towards those who question unapproved unethical vaccines by lesser conservatives my trust toward people below intermediate conservative has been very greatly squashed to nearly nothing. Mennonet has become more and more unwelcoming to those who want to sincerely put God first thoughtfully and follow Christ in faith personally and practically.
Fair well!
I know many evangelicals who don't obey COVID regulations and are skeptical of vaccines. I talked to man recently who said that he left his church because they require masks, and now attends a church without mask requirements. I don't think this is a Mennonite thing per se.
1 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

QuietObserver wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:47 pm
Wade wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:16 pm

Unfortunately, it has been the most important relationships that have been stressed the most in regards to trust. With all the accusations towards those who are oppressed from gathering in Western Canada or accusations and attempts at coercion guilting towards those who question unapproved unethical vaccines by lesser conservatives my trust toward people below intermediate conservative has been very greatly squashed to nearly nothing. Mennonet has become more and more unwelcoming to those who want to sincerely put God first thoughtfully and follow Christ in faith personally and practically.
Fair well!
I know many evangelicals who don't obey COVID regulations and are skeptical of vaccines. I talked to man recently who said that he left his church because they require masks, and now attends a church without mask requirements. I don't think this is a Mennonite thing per se.
I don't understand how Evangelical's are an example of judging someone's choices? Is it a strawman to justify one's own choices? I don't know? I'm confused by your comments and not sure what you are even getting at.

The majority of Evangelicals I know obey the government with supporting war, Covid restrictions, or whatever else, others seem very much motivated by fear and wouldn't attend church if permitted to, and yet I've had some rail on me that because I do wear a mask as required and call me unloving to my neighbor and that wearing a mask is spreading fear...

I'm just tired and sad of the pointing fingers and coercion of so many. I don't view the person who accuses me for wearing a mask as unloving any different than those saying those that don't vaccinate are unloving. To be blunt I can't see any difference in attitude even if there is a difference in application.

I'm thankful I attend a church that doesn't buy into news sources and the ways of the world and continually ask each other what is God's will and our own responsibility that he is calling us to, how can we love and help our neighbors more - I get such the opposite experience on here.
Last edited by Wade on Tue May 11, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
QuietObserver
Affiliation:

Post by QuietObserver »

Wade wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:11 pm I don't understand how Evangelical's are an example of judging someone's choices? Is it a strawman to justify one's own choices? I don't know? I'm confused by your comments and not sure what you are even getting at.
I was simply making the point that Mennonites are not the only group of people that disagree how to handle COVID. I am friends with people who disagree with me on this issues. I don't think someone's viewpoint on this says anything about their character, positive or negative.
1 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

QuietObserver wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:29 pm
Wade wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:11 pm I don't understand how Evangelical's are an example of judging someone's choices? Is it a strawman to justify one's own choices? I don't know? I'm confused by your comments and not sure what you are even getting at.
I was simply making the point that Mennonites are not the only group of people that disagree how to handle COVID. I am friends with people who disagree with me on this issues. I don't think someone's viewpoint on this says anything about their character, positive or negative.
Agreed, but the difference comes with pointing fingers, false accusations, and telling people what they believe - at that point I feel it is likely best to seperate myself if they continue on and I have done this with a few anti-mask, anti-vaccine Evangelicals telling them to leave my family alone. It feels much the same attitude here but opposite application of pro-anti gathering restrictions (while bars remain open), pro-vaccine Mennonites.
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

QuietObserver wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:47 pm I know many evangelicals who don't obey COVID regulations and are skeptical of vaccines. I talked to man recently who said that he left his church because they require masks, and now attends a church without mask requirements. I don't think this is a Mennonite thing per se.
I've been watching closely the reasons why people oppose masks or vaccines, or who believe that this is a hoax. Mennonite or Evangelical, or Atheist, I find the issues quite common in their objections. It really has helped me "refine" my relationships and see some groups of people differently (and more clearly).
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

Wayne in Maine wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:14 pm
QuietObserver wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:47 pm I know many evangelicals who don't obey COVID regulations and are skeptical of vaccines. I talked to man recently who said that he left his church because they require masks, and now attends a church without mask requirements. I don't think this is a Mennonite thing per se.
I've been watching closely the reasons why people oppose masks or vaccines, or who believe that this is a hoax. Mennonite or Evangelical, or Atheist, I find the issues quite common in their objections. It really has helped me "refine" my relationships and see some groups of people differently (and more clearly).
Exactly!
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Wade wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:18 pm
Exactly!
.Ours as well.. I've noticed the Amish seem to know instinctively (prayerfully, Godly wisdom, that which others rely on man. I value how they are "guided"
Last edited by Valerie on Tue May 11, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Valerie wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:33 pm

Exactly!
.Ours as well.. I've noticed the Amish seem to know instinctively (prayerfully, Godly wisdom, that which others rely on man. I value how they are "guided"
Plain people, especially Old Order plain people, have long fallen for quack medicine. So it does not surprise me that some Old Order Amish communities have fallen for pseudo-scientific lies and quackery in regards to Covid-19. These people rely on man, don't kid yourself. They put their faith in iridology, kinesiology, chiropractic and spiritually harmful witchcraft.
2 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Wayne in Maine wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:12 am
Valerie wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:33 pm

Exactly!
Plain people, especially Old Order plain people, have long fallen for quack medicine. So it does not surprise me that some Old Order Amish communities have fallen for pseudo-scientific lies and quackery in regards to Covid-19. These people rely on man, don't kid yourself. They put their faith in iridology, kinesiology, chiropractic and spiritually harmful witchcraft.
Well, Holmes County didn't fall for so much of this, the PLANdemic came & went through their communities, Holmes County was the first county to turn "yellow" (lowest cases) and i wholeheartedly disagree with you about what is quackery & what is not. We are turning to holitic & naturopathic doctors who have a great deal of success, and continue to watch people be harmed & die (and go broke, lining the pickets of BigPharma & insurance companies, etc). There's not time to pist all the true stories ive witnessed especially when people refuse to listen & learn, its a waste of time. But for those who are willing there is healing and life ahead for them, we are thankful for the path that God has led us on to other physicians

When I know of people that turned away from conventional treatments of cancer who had life threatening cancer and told they would die for example are good friend from Ireland and an Amish girl in our county who started conventional turned away from it and went to alternative treatments you can call it quackery but they're alive and well years later at a fraction of the cost of conventional cancer treatments. You can't tell them it's quackery when they are doing so well. We tried to convey this to our friend who had colon cancer who was beachy Amish he wouldn't listen he died left the family with over a thousand dollars medical bills which fortunately in his community they had a benefit auction and raised $82,000 towards his medical bill because they did not have insurance. My husband and I shake our heads when people call it quackery and yet are thriving in life because they didn't go conventional while others pass away. Of course we know we all have an appointed time but if people choose to live and want to live there are better ways to go. We don't rule out all conventional but we're very careful who we listen to anymore
1 x