Your Preferred Bible Version

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology

Bible Versions

Total votes: 0

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Your Preferred Bible Version

Post by Josh »

KJV: “But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.”

The Message: “In the same way, a wife who speaks with God in a way that shows a lack of respect for the authority of her husband, dishonors her husband. Worse, she dishonors herself—an ugly sight, like a woman with her head shaved.”

The Message almost entirely eliminates the ordinance of the covering.
0 x
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

Josh wrote:KJV: “But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.”

The Message: “In the same way, a wife who speaks with God in a way that shows a lack of respect for the authority of her husband, dishonors her husband. Worse, she dishonors herself—an ugly sight, like a woman with her head shaved.”

So, like "The Living Bible," this thing called "The Message" is nothing more than a commentary and a poor one at that.
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Neto wrote:

The controversy about the different Greek texts opens a whole 'nother can of worms. I won't argue about it, but just to say that I am more convinced on the side of giving more weight (in determining the "original wording") to the earlier Eastern texts than to the more numerous Western texts. But I'll also say, in an effort to defuse any tension over what I've said here, that there are no textual differences in these two approaches that are of doctrinal importance. (Unless you are really into purposefully handling snakes & drinking poison. :shock: :o )
Not that it matters as my opinion is really based om what I have heard and read from scholars that have actually studied this stuff but I also want to add my voice as one who agrees with what you say here, Neto. And yes I have read books and articles with the opposite opinion but always without fail they are poorly written, poorly researched and just simply unprofessional. sometimes I almost get the impression that some of them have studied the topic less than I have and that is pretty bad.
This week I listened to a professor/scientist speak on food safety related issues and he made the statement that not all opinions are of equal value. The same applies here.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Fidelio wrote:
Josh wrote:KJV: “But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.”

So, like "The Living Bible," this thing called "The Message" is nothing more than a commentary and a poor one at that.
Right - and it has a slant of the author, a PC(USA) Presbyterian.
0 x
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

Again I will say it in case you missed it earlier. I would never use the Message as a study Bible or as a way to influence how I understand doctrine or even practise. And while I smile a little at how 1 Corinthians 11 seems to me to be the go to passage for us to make any kind of determination on this point (It is one small passage of scripture folks) it does make a good object lesson on why one should not use a commentary to be the determining factor of you faith and practise.
At the same time a simple person like myself sometimes simply feels refreshed hearing the words read out in kind of the way I think at times. It makes me feel like God really does get me. And depending on a person's educational level and personal knowledge of scripture it might even be where I would recommend someone start reading.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

But then The Message is a commentary, not a Bible. I have nothing against commentaries, but The Message is, for practical purposes, masquerading as a legitimate Bible.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Fidelio wrote:So, like "The Living Bible," this thing called "The Message" is nothing more than a commentary and a poor one at that.
These are both paraphrases, not translations. They are meant to be easily understood semi-commentaries that tell you how the writer understood the text. Don't use a paraphrase instead of a Bible.

The New Living Translation, on the other hand, is actually a translation.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

Josh wrote:But then The Message is a commentary, not a Bible. I have nothing against commentaries, but The Message is, for practical purposes, masquerading as a legitimate Bible.
As I keep saying, I totally understand the Message to only be a commentary in much the same way I would view our SS quarterlies as I also stated earlier. And officially I do not think the Message portrays itself as anything but that. Even it's author would recognise that to be the case and I am guessing would not recommend his version being used as a study Bible. And I would hope that such information would be 101 level teaching of any serious Bible scholar. I know it was for me.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

appleman2006 wrote:Again I will say it in case you missed it earlier. I would never use the Message as a study Bible or as a way to influence how I understand doctrine or even practise. And while I smile a little at how 1 Corinthians 11 seems to me to be the go to passage for us to make any kind of determination on this point (It is one small passage of scripture folks) it does make a good object lesson on why one should not use a commentary to be the determining factor of you faith and practise.

At the same time a simple person like myself sometimes simply feels refreshed hearing the words read out in kind of the way I think at times. It makes me feel like God really does get me. And depending on a person's educational level and personal knowledge of scripture it might even be where I would recommend someone start reading.
Sure. A paraphrase is easy to read. It gets rid of a lot of things that would be confusing in a real translation. And if you disagree with a paraphrase, well, that's OK sometimes. Disagreeing with someone else's understanding of the Bible is not the same thing as disagreeing with the Bible.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Any reasonably good translation that people actually read and understand is much better than a translation people do not read or do not understand.

Getting it in your heart is the most important thing.

I really like audio Bibles because I can read and listen at the same time. It really gets into my heart that way. I love the readscripture.org app because it gives me short videos to put everything in context, and they have really done their research to make it accurate.

There are translations that are actively heretical, we shouldn't use them. But the translations we are talking about in this thread will all edify you. I think it's usually best to use more than one translation, switch it up a little, so you don't get too stuck on one.
0 x