God's Word: Enduring Through the Ages

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

God's Word: Enduring Through the Ages

Post by Ernie »

Here is an apologetic video produced by All Nations Bible Translation.
https://www.allnationsbibletranslation. ... rough-ages
or

Please do not comment in this thread until you have listened to the complete 2 hours of video.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: God's Word: Enduring Through the Ages

Post by Soloist »

After you get some comments can you post a synopsis for those who can't watch it?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Soloist wrote:After you get some comments can you post a synopsis for those who can't watch it?
I can send the script to anyone who can't watch it. Just send me your email address.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Mountain Merle
Affiliation: Redneck Mennonite

Post by Mountain Merle »

I listened to 3/4 of the sessions so far and plan to take in the rest. Can I squeak in a comment/question even if I haven't quite finished? This is a well put together presentation IMO. Lot's of good information; much more than you can soak in at one time. I was hoping they would spend more time discussing the differences between the "majority" texts (basis for the KJV translations) and the texts from Egypt. (most modern English translations) I am not a Bible scholar by any means but have a keen interest in the subject. It's my understanding that there are a multitude of the "majority" texts preserved. And that while there are far fewer of the Egyptian texts (are they also called "Alexandrian"?), they are hundreds of years older. It seems there could be some validity to the argument that the older the text, the closer it should be to the original.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Mountain Merle wrote:It's my understanding that there are a multitude of the "majority" texts preserved. And that while there are far fewer of the Egyptian texts (are they also called "Alexandrian"?), they are hundreds of years older. It seems there could be some validity to the argument that the older the text, the closer it should be to the original.
There are good arguments on each side of the debate.

My preference is that publishers go ahead and print all that can be found from either family of texts, and make notes where there are differences. Then readers can choose whether to consider it inspired or modified later. As it is, most publishers don't give readers this choice, except in NKJV and maybe a few others.
1 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Ernie wrote:
Mountain Merle wrote:It's my understanding that there are a multitude of the "majority" texts preserved. And that while there are far fewer of the Egyptian texts (are they also called "Alexandrian"?), they are hundreds of years older. It seems there could be some validity to the argument that the older the text, the closer it should be to the original.
There are good arguments on each side of the debate.

My preference is that publishers go ahead and print all that can be found from either family of texts, and make notes where there are differences. Then readers can choose whether to consider it inspired or modified later. As it is, most publishers don't give readers this choice, except in NKJV and maybe a few others.
Any good exegetical commentary will do this. (An example are the translators' notes series, and the older Exegetical Helps series, both prepared by WBT.)

[I'm not a 'Majority Text' supporter, but if you want to see recent work in this area, check out the work of Wilber Pickering. Like us, a former WBT translator in Brazil. We were only on the same mission station for a short while, but his daughter married a ('Russian') Mennonite from Kansas who help in the construction of the airstrip at our village. (I haven't seen them recently, but his best friend is also married to my cousin.)]
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
DrWojo
Affiliation: Sylvian Christian Fe

Post by DrWojo »

I’ve tried to PM you through the MN forum multiple times and it doesn’t look like it is working. Could you please PM me the scripts or post a link for them? Thanks!
1 x
"Too often believers have trivialized goodness by concentrating on their various denominational brands of legalism, becoming a 'peculiar people' set at odd angles to the world rather than being an attractive light illuminating it." -Unknown
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

DrWojo wrote:I’ve tried to PM you through the MN forum multiple times and it doesn’t look like it is working. Could you please PM me the scripts or post a link for them? Thanks!
I got your PM.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

FWiW - I really like this presentation. I have watched it once and am now watching it twice. Reason being, I needed something just like this to complete my Apologetics unit on the reliability of the Bible. And doing it via Zoom and internet resources made this a Godsend. My 10th graders are watching, note-taking on it, and discussing. I will use this going forward as it is audience friendly and fits very well into what I envision for this Apologetics unit.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Revisiting. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN