Appliances and Office Equipment - Energy Use

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Ernie

Appliances and Office Equipment - Energy Use

Post by Ernie »

A thread to discuss how much electricity or gas various appliances use.
0 x
Ernie

Re: Appliances and Office Equipment - Energy Use

Post by Ernie »

I bought a MX2700 Canon Printer. It has an Eco setting that turns the printer off after not being used for awhile. I'm wondering how much it will cost me per month to let the printer turned on all the time. ChatGPT Estimates $1.30 per month. Does that sound about right?
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Ernie wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:56 am I bought a MX2700 Canon Printer. It has an Eco setting that turns the printer off after not being used for awhile. I'm wondering how much it will cost me per month to let the printer turned on all the time. ChatGPT Estimates $1.30 per month. Does that sound about right?
Our church school just bought a printer that wakes up and hums, clicks and flashes through a prep cycle every time someone one walks past. I'm pretty sure it would be more efficient to just turn off.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:56 am I bought a MX2700 Canon Printer. It has an Eco setting that turns the printer off after not being used for awhile. I'm wondering how much it will cost me per month to let the printer turned on all the time. ChatGPT Estimates $1.30 per month. Does that sound about right?
Out of curiosity, I always wonder why people buy inkjet printers instead of laser printers. (I assume you meant the MB2720.)
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:48 am
Out of curiosity, I always wonder why people buy inkjet printers instead of laser printers. (I assume you meant the MB2720.)
I've been a laser printer guy for a long time but the last couple printers I bought for commercial office use were Epson WF-C579R Series inkjet machines.
Cost per page is close to or less than laser, can actually get ink bags for these that last about as long as a toner cartridge, and for most print jobs (majority of mine are 10 pages or less) it's faster and quieter than laser. Also gives me the ability to print on envelopes where laser always creases the envelope or has feeding problems due to the heat and pressure used.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Yeah, if I had to go inkjet, I'd use one that can have those "tanks".

One of my complaints with inkjets is the time to dry and smearing. When printing envelopes in a laser printer, I just open the envelopes first to avoid accidentally sealing it. Haven't had any trouble with them (at least on my Canon imageclass).
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

An easy way to test this would be to leave everything turned on overnight and read the power meter before and after (or a shorter period of time). Then turn the stuff off and see how much it is drawing. I did this a while ago, and concluded the power savings was not even close to worrying about, particularly in winter when wasted electricity just means extra heat.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:09 am Yeah, if I had to go inkjet, I'd use one that can have those "tanks".

One of my complaints with inkjets is the time to dry and smearing. When printing envelopes in a laser printer, I just open the envelopes first to avoid accidentally sealing it. Haven't had any trouble with them (at least on my Canon imageclass).
Do you have any issues with it wrinkling the envelopes at all? That was the issue we always had.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:48 am(I assume you meant the MB2720.)
yes, my mistake.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:48 amOut of curiosity, I always wonder why people buy inkjet printers instead of laser printers.
I used to use lasers, but had troubles with them and they ended up being quite expensive. Buying ink on Amazon or eBay is quite affordable and inkjets use less energy.
0 x