Graphic Design

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Graphic Design

Post by Ernie »

RickH wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:20 pm I, personally, like the training on Udemy.com.
However, NEVER pay full price for their classes. They go on sale very frequently and if you allow them to send you emails, they send you specials through email frequently too.
The average price for a course on sale is $12-$20. If she has never purchased a class from them, the site should give her a first course deal.
I bought a course for Adobe PhotoShop that is currently 37.5 hours long (he updates with new PhotoShop features and tutorials regularly). I think that I paid $20 for it. I really like it, although I’m only about 5% through it though. The instructor provides you with the files that he uses so you can pause the video and follow along in your software.
It is located at https://www.udemy.com/course/master-ado ... roductive/
I enjoy Udemy because you can pause the video and take notes directly below the video on the notes tab and also watch the video in full screen if you wish to. Also, you own the course. It never expires and you always have access, even if the instructor adds new material.
Of course, she can also search the Udemy web site for another course if this one doesn’t fit her needs. They have a lot of courses.
Thanks for this!
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Udemy has some courses, as suggested. The free ones are extremely basic, in my opinion, and do little to teach principles of good design.

The most scientific book on layout and design I know of was written by Mike Steven, a sign maker from PA. It is called Mastering Layout, and is a timeless resource especially for sign makers, but anyone who is designing would benefit from it as he teaches good font usage, colour choices, line value, rhythm in design and much more. He coined the phrase "compulsive graphic relativity". A fun line to trot out when clients are acting like they know more about design than they really do.

He teaches the science behind good design, and anyone designing brochures/business cards/posters would benefit greatly. Not an easy read, but well worth absorbing. Available from my friends at Signcraft Publications.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Signtist wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:50 pm Udemy has some courses, as suggested. The free ones are extremely basic, in my opinion, and do little to teach principles of good design.

The most scientific book on layout and design I know of was written by Mike Steven, a sign maker from PA. It is called Mastering Layout, and is a timeless resource especially for sign makers, but anyone who is designing would benefit from it as he teaches good font usage, colour choices, line value, rhythm in design and much more. He coined the phrase "compulsive graphic relativity". A fun line to trot out when clients are acting like they know more about design than they really do.

He teaches the science behind good design, and anyone designing brochures/business cards/posters would benefit greatly. Not an easy read, but well worth absorbing. Available from my friends at Signcraft Publications.
Agreed. That’s a bit beyond “tutorials”… I would recommend looking into a nearby community college and seeing what classes are offered. Even if you don’t want to attend, you can check out the syllabus and books used.

An internship at a graphic design place may be helpful too. Rosewood Marketing offers a lot of training for entry level hires, which somewhat makes up for the below market pay typical of Mennonite employers.
0 x