St. Valentine's Day

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: St. Valentine's Day

Post by appleman2006 »

Josh wrote:I wonder what folks' thoughts are on how single or divorced people should feel on Valentine's Day/what they should do? I know for some people it's quite difficult.

I was thankfully out of the country and distracted with other things last week and the place I was didn't seem to observe "Val" at all.
Good point Josh and since we have lots of singles at church it is something we have been quite conscious of. Last year instead of our valentine's dinner several of the pastors' wives planned a special dinner and evening activities for all the singles. I was not there of course but from the comments and pictures I saw later, a very fun and worthwhile time was had by all.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

how many wives does your pastor have? :-|
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Josh wrote:I wonder what folks' thoughts are on how single or divorced people should feel on Valentine's Day/what they should do? I know for some people it's quite difficult.

I was thankfully out of the country and distracted with other things last week and the place I was didn't seem to observe "Val" at all.
I think they should not begrudge married people enjoying the day as an opportunity to bless and honor their spouse.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

temporal1 wrote:how many wives does your pastor have? :-|
:oops: sorry, fixed it. Thanks
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

mike wrote:

I think they should not begrudge married people enjoying the day as an opportunity to bless and honor their spouse.
This encapsulates the CM attitude towards single and divorced people very well.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Josh wrote:
mike wrote:

This encapsulates the CM attitude towards single and divorced people very well.
Do you see that as a bad attitude?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

When I was single, it didn't bother me at all. Valentines Day isn't something that most husbands really look forward to. I mostly participate because my wife likes it; if I didn't have her, then it would pass without any acknowledgement from me.

For some people, it could be a sad time. I'd imagine it might be like a person whos parents have died, and what they'd do on Mothers day or Fathers day. My father-in-law is a widower. I don't know what he did on Valentines day. I'm guessing nothing special.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

My sentiments exactly. But I do notice that I can encourage myself in my thinking by repeating some things often enough. i get to the point where I heartily agree with myself. And unfortunately, Josh, you are "single" and well aware of your state. My 44 and 46 year old single daughters are frustrated when they are subjected to a marriage sermon on Sunday morning, followed with comments like "and for our single sisters to just bloom where God has planted you." This then is followed also for prayer "for our single sisters." I cannot see from a singles viewpoint because I have never been single.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Hats Off wrote: I cannot see from a singles viewpoint because I have never been single.
Must have been a strange childhood.
1 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Well, okay I was single but not that I really thought about it. I had nine sisters and two brothers so I might have been single and just didn't know it. And as I said elsewhere, counting the days of courtship, we have been together for over 50 years.
1 x