St. Valentine's Day

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: St. Valentine's Day

Post by JimFoxvog »

We usually ignore it, but sometimes take the occasion to consider early martyrs.Image
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Thank you Jim- it's just like St. Patrick's Day- The Church has always made it a practice to honor martyrs of the faith- to use as our example, to honor them- but then in America we turn it into something completely different than it's original intention. Both St. Valentine, and St. Patrick would be grieved in heart at American Christianity that take their name and do what 'we' want with it. It is not supposed to be a 'secular' day.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote:Thank you Jim- it's just like St. Patrick's Day- The Church has always made it a practice to honor martyrs of the faith- to use as our example, to honor them- but then in America we turn it into something completely different than it's original intention. Both St. Valentine, and St. Patrick would be grieved in heart at American Christianity that take their name and do what 'we' want with it. It is not supposed to be a 'secular' day.
It's an improvement over praying to them.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

PositiveSeeker wrote:I am not here to judge. I am just projecting my curiosity. In my eyes, Valentine's Day has become an expectation driven by retail. Everyone has to run out and spend money. In addition, it takes something good and puts the focus on only one day. Do we let the standards of the world dictate us in other areas? What makes Valentine's Day different?
We have to decide how much to engage the culture in ways that aren't harmful. Every day of the year has an expectation to be driven by retail, so holidays are no different.

I find that Christmas, "Val" (as we called it when I worked at a greeting card company), and St Patrick's Day are great days to be able to connect with non-believers and I often get an opportunity to share a story and my faith.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote:
Valerie wrote:Thank you Jim- it's just like St. Patrick's Day- The Church has always made it a practice to honor martyrs of the faith- to use as our example, to honor them- but then in America we turn it into something completely different than it's original intention. Both St. Valentine, and St. Patrick would be grieved in heart at American Christianity that take their name and do what 'we' want with it. It is not supposed to be a 'secular' day.
It's an improvement over praying to them.
We learn from the example of holy people in the past.

The "praying to them" that is approved by Catholics is asking them to pray for you, just as you might ask someone you know who seems close to God to pray for you. However, I suspect those who sleep in Christ are asleep, not aware of any of our attempts to speak to them. But God hears these prayer requests anyway.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

PositiveSeeker wrote:I realize there is likely to be some variation among various groups. As noted, Valentine's Day is a secular holiday (a Catholic might disagree). Therefore, the degree in which Mennonites are willing to participate in the world's holidays is how this subject relates to Anabaptist practice.
For the sake of clarity: In modern studies of Catholic World, "St. Valentine" is a myth and doesn't exist. It was a popular feast held over from pagan times that a populace tried to make Christian: ultimately they didn't succeed. Due diligence on the part of Catholic scholars debunked the existence of a saint named Valentine and the feast has been removed from the current Catholic calendar. The day is not recognized by Catholics at all either as a Christian Feast or Ferial. We will however sometimes celebrate it as a secular holiday.

That said, I'm with Appleman and Mike. We exchanged homemade cards; had a nice chocolate dessert and we each shared what we loved best about each other.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:
PositiveSeeker wrote:I am not here to judge. I am just projecting my curiosity. In my eyes, Valentine's Day has become an expectation driven by retail. Everyone has to run out and spend money. In addition, it takes something good and puts the focus on only one day. Do we let the standards of the world dictate us in other areas? What makes Valentine's Day different?
We have to decide how much to engage the culture in ways that aren't harmful. Every day of the year has an expectation to be driven by retail, so holidays are no different.

I find that Christmas, "Val" (as we called it when I worked at a greeting card company), and St Patrick's Day are great days to be able to connect with non-believers and I often get an opportunity to share a story and my faith.
Same here- a couple of St. Patrick's Day, we passed out David Bercot's "Let Me Die in Ireland" to people at our towns Irish Restaurant (pub in the evening) and it had the message of the Gospel and story of St. Patrick- we do need to pray for Divine appointments and opportunities to share the "TRUE" Gospel
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

MaxPC wrote:
PositiveSeeker wrote:I realize there is likely to be some variation among various groups. As noted, Valentine's Day is a secular holiday (a Catholic might disagree). Therefore, the degree in which Mennonites are willing to participate in the world's holidays is how this subject relates to Anabaptist practice.
For the sake of clarity: In modern studies of Catholic World, "St. Valentine" is a myth and doesn't exist. It was a popular feast held over from pagan times that a populace tried to make Christian: ultimately they didn't succeed. Due diligence on the part of Catholic scholars debunked the existence of a saint named Valentine and the feast has been removed from the current Catholic calendar. The day is not recognized by Catholics at all either as a Christian Feast or Ferial. We will however sometimes celebrate it as a secular holiday.

That said, I'm with Appleman and Mike. We exchanged homemade cards; had a nice chocolate dessert and we each shared what we loved best about each other.
Wow- I didn't really know the history about that- so that is totally made up? Glad it was straightened out.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote:For the sake of clarity: In modern studies of Catholic World, "St. Valentine" is a myth and doesn't exist. It was a popular feast held over from pagan times that a populace tried to make Christian: ultimately they didn't succeed. Due diligence on the part of Catholic scholars debunked the existence of a saint named Valentine and the feast has been removed from the current Catholic calendar. The day is not recognized by Catholics at all either as a Christian Feast or Ferial. We will however sometimes celebrate it as a secular holiday.
In that case you might consider correcting the Wikipedia entry on Saint Valentine. :idea:
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

OJ: Wiki is an open source where just about anyone can post anything they want. It's also the worst source for learning about a denomination because of biases or attitudes.

Those who want to know factual and authoritative Catholic Church info go to the legitimate Vatican website. That's where I always send people with questions. :D

It would be nice to have authoritative websites for all denoms that carry the same weight of credibility. If I'm not mistaken GAMEO has that kind of credibility?
Last edited by MaxPC on Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God