Activism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Activism

Post by Wade »

Recently another Christian referred to himself as an iconoclast.
This is the defintion online:
i·con·o·clast
īˈkänəˌklast/
noun
noun: iconoclast; plural noun: iconoclasts

1. a person who attacks cherished beliefs or institutions.
synonyms: critic, skeptic; More
heretic, unbeliever, dissident, dissenter, infidel;
rebel, renegade, mutineer
"in terms of the money culture in Washington, she is an iconoclast"

2. a destroyer of images used in religious worship, in particular.

I didn't hear this before or understand what it meant at first. Then I started realizing that a lot of people that he is linked with that he calls to be in Kingdom Fellowship and is saying that they are "kingdom Christian's" practice in "protests(or at least that is what they look like to me...," or holding out signs in public...

Now this can take on many different forms and I don't want to paint activism as the same as an iconoclast, although I would classify an iconoclast likely as an activist.

Recently seeing some support towards activism online of other "kingdom Christians" I am troubled and a bit horrified... (involvement in protests, holding out signs along the road, voting) - the talk on MN is starting to scare me too... What are we telling people by these actions and conversations?

Where do we on the outside fit into all this when we are trying to build relationships with other Christians and aren't comfortable with these acts of activism?

Where is the desire to touch individuals rather than going at things with a political like style or reformed route of trying for social change?

And what is the Conservative Mennonite thoughts on these things?

Am I wrong to feel it has taken on a form excitement in fault finding, picking sides and letting our views be known rather than looking to and pointing to Christ, coupled with praying for His will to be done?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Activism

Post by Josh »

Such people are 50 years away from looking like the Central District Conference.

Try not to be too distracted by them.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

this forum can be tough, i'm glad to find you here. on that, i'm certain, there is no debate. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Edgar Guest's poem about builders or wreckers comes to mind. I believe that Christ has called us to be builders, not wreckers. Sometimes building requires removing old and worn-out construction, but the focus needs to be on improving and making new. If a person describes himself as an iconoclast, I fear he is finding his identity in demolition. Any fool can demolish things.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ken_sylvania wrote:Edgar Guest's poem about builders or wreckers comes to mind. I believe that Christ has called us to be builders, not wreckers. Sometimes building requires removing old and worn-out construction, but the focus needs to be on improving and making new. If a person describes himself as an iconoclast, I fear he is finding his identity in demolition. Any fool can demolish things.
X2.
In popular speech, self-described iconoclasts are about destruction and the argument can be made that satan is also about destruction.

Some will argue that Jesus was an iconoclast but the Scriptures debunk that as Christ Himself states
[bible]Matthew 5, 17-18[/bible]
Following Christ is about edification and salvation, not destruction.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I would add that someone who does the original meaning of an iconoclast is doing good work - someone who removes icons, statues, and images from the church.
0 x