St. Valentine's Day

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
PositiveSeeker
Affiliation: Non-Denominational

St. Valentine's Day

Post by PositiveSeeker »

What would be the Anabaptist/Mennonite approach to Valentine's Day?
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: St. Valentine's Day

Post by appleman2006 »

Not sure if this answers your question but I am taking my valentine out for a nice dinner this evening. She does not know it as of yet though so shhhhh. ;)
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

It's a secular holiday, so I don't know how to approach it in an "Anabaptist" way. We do have a tradition of having a fun party with our children on Valentine's Day, such as a candlelit dinner. Tonight we plan to have a chocolate fountain. The kids love it. We have sometimes made each child say something nice about another. That's a great exercise. :lol:
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
PositiveSeeker

Post by PositiveSeeker »

I realize there is likely to be some variation among various groups. As noted, Valentine's Day is a secular holiday (a Catholic might disagree). Therefore, the degree in which Mennonites are willing to participate in the world's holidays is how this subject relates to Anabaptist practice.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Around here, its common for the Mennonites to take their wife out for dinner and buy flowers and a card. Pretty standard I suppose.
I should do these things for my wife without a holiday forcing me to do it. But it doesn't seem like I actually get around to doing it without the holiday. She likes it.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Often we don't go out exactly on Valentines day. We just fit it in sometime around the 14th, where ever our schedule allows. Tonight my wife is making a fancy meal for us and our children, and we are having over my wifes younger brother and sister for dinner. We will plan on going on a dinner date ourselves later in the week.
One more thing I do since my daughters were born, is that I get them each something - candy, or single rose. This year I bought them each a heart shaped fancy balloon.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I would not take my wife out to dinner - she would much rather eat at home. I think the old order approach to Valentine's day is no approach or recognition. My bank sent me two Valentine's day coupons to give to my wife - if I could figure out how to download them and customize them, I might do that.
1 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

As usual the chocolate fountain was a riot with ten kids* all trying to get their share.
IMG_20170214_204516.jpg
IMG_20170214_204516.jpg (281.06 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
*The 8-month old was the only one not able to coat his own goodies.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
PositiveSeeker

Post by PositiveSeeker »

I am not here to judge. I am just projecting my curiosity. In my eyes, Valentine's Day has become an expectation driven by retail. Everyone has to run out and spend money. In addition, it takes something good and puts the focus on only one day. Do we let the standards of the world dictate us in other areas? What makes Valentine's Day different?
0 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

[quote="PositiveSeeker"]I am not here to judge. I am just projecting my curiosity. In my eyes, Valentine's Day has become an expectation driven by retail. Everyone has to run out and spend money. In addition, it takes something good and puts the focus on only one day. Do we let the standards

Retail doesn't have to enter into it. Even without money, gift coupons can be given, like washing the car or taking over chores, and maybe writing a poem or letter of appreciation. These can be used when we are impoverished, and may be more appreciated than store bought gifts. I've recommended this type gift to prisoners for their parents, etc., to express thankfulness.
1 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.