Additions

Official stuff, discussions about the forum, and new member introductions
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Additions

Post by gcdonner »

RickH wrote:
Robert wrote:Where did you get this info?
This is one reputable site, that I visit, that ran a story about it last September.
https://www.neowin.net/news/chrome-56-w ... -over-http
Welcome back Rick. Long time no see!
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
RickH
Affiliation:

Post by RickH »

gcdonner wrote: Welcome back Rick. Long time no see!
:wave:
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Robert wrote:I will have to do some research on this. This may be included in the new update. I was waiting just a bit before I updated to make sure there was not some bad bug that needed to be dealt with.

Of course, it is January 2017 and I am not seeing any flag like this now. Where did you get this info?
http://www.forumotion.com

But I think you need to log in as an administrator and go to the administration panel to see it.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i wanted to add this poll to this thread, however, being in poll form, it required a new thread.
the link:

Poll: Prayer Requests & Personal Testimonies
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=287

thanks. :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

temporal1 wrote:i wanted to add this poll to this thread, however, being in poll form, it required a new thread.
the link:

Poll: Prayer Requests & Personal Testimonies
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=287

thanks. :D
You have to start a thread with a poll. It can not be added later.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Since the beginning of MN, here+there, Robert has posted some forum guidelines that are very helpful (to me, anyway.) :) Below are 3 that come to mind, there may be others.

(i think, fwiw) :roll: -
it's reasonable for members to ask about guidelines, i.e., we are not "mind-readers." :)

i agree with Robert and mods when they request members "be adult," but, again, when they have a specific vision of what that means, and become (understandably) annoyed when members do not comply, then, definitions and guidelines - only make sense.

(to me) establishing guidelines does not conflict with being "mature;"
however, having to constantly revisit and/or micromanage, would not be.

MD was a forum initiated by teens, so (i guess) being an adult wasn't a priority (?) .. i can't say. :P
i was not there. MN is not MD. :dance:

Robert has stated he's not wanting MN to be a carbon copy of MD; i'm not aware of anyone protesting that. everyone has things they miss, but, no one is asking for a carbon copy.
several members have informally mentioned (to me) they like MN better, and have hopes for its future. :D

This thread, Page 13 / Regarding OP parameters:
temporal1 wrote:
Robert wrote:
temporal1 wrote:Is 3 "the charm?" :?:
3 threads in about 24 hours with OP parameters?
Liberal
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=148
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=155
CM
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=147

if so, i hope it helps thread content quality.
in order to work, it requires BOTH respect of members AND allowance by admin/mods.
a community effort! :D

i see no downside to respect of others' OP parameters.
but, i don't claim to see in full.
These target a group for a purpose. They do not exclude a person because of personality issues.
of course not! :shock:
in the past, this was successfully done by various members .. i recall, lesterb and EdselB, but others, too. your response makes me think i've been misunderstood .. but, that's ok.
communication mix-ups happen.

i'm glad for the response. when i posted about this in the past, i don't recall a response (from anyone.) so, i have wondered.
Russian Hacking thread, Page 20 / A definition of discussion forums:
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... &start=190
Robert wrote:It is also okay for people to state their opinions, even if they are wrong.

We are not setting policy here, but speaking [off] the cuff on a lot of things.

We do not have to be professional or experts to speak.

It is also okay to be wrong when we do speak if we are being sincere and just sharing our opinions.

Sometimes speaking and listening to others' opinions can help us grow our knowledge.

I also have no problem with someone having an opinion with little information as long as they are honest about their position.

All the research in the world also can not give a person wisdom. So often we mistake information for wisdom.

It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to have a gut feel for things.
Nonresistance thread, Page 2 / Protocal
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=295&start=10
Robert wrote:Protocol got wiped out with the big crash.

I have no issue with someone targeting a group for response.

The original post (OP) can ask for a set group, not individuals) to be included or excluded for a time, but I will not move any ones post who chooses to post in that thread unless the mods agree and we set it up that way from the very start.

We are all adults, so if someone asks for a targeted group, I can not understand why the rest could not be patient with that request. If that request seems out of line, feel free to contact one of the mods to evaluate.

I personally loved the parallel thread.
I considered blending the two together later, but it can get messy if this happens all the time.
I would request that this is the exception, not the rule.

Saying in a thread you would like to hear from a set group is fine.
I would request that there is no command that others can not post at all.

Delaying their posting through request is fine and the rest of us should be respectful enough to do that.

The OP needs to be willing to take responsibility and babysit their thread then and after a few days, open it for others. Do not think you can spout orders and expect someone else to do the work.

We are here to serve each other, not become lords over each other.
In response to Robert's latest post, Ernie requested it be put in a "sticky thread," i do not know what that is.

i agree, it would be helpful for members to have a place to refer to Robert's posts wherein he is sharing his goals for how this forum might best work. :D

notice, most of Robert's language is in request or suggestion form.
i would describe this as "the honor system," which is quite appealing.
(i think) of the honor system as a bedrock Christian way .. seeking the spirit of every rule, not the letter.

i don't know what a sticky thread would look like, that's not for me to decide, but, in the event, above are some suggestions. others may have other examples to add. :hug:

now to hit the submit button, and hope this :blah: will be accepted in the spirit intended.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I will work on it some today and make it more formal.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

How about a "can of worms" section where somehow we could, under particularly tight rules, discuss touchy subjects and sacred cows?
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Wayne in Maine wrote:How about a "can of worms" section where somehow we could, under particularly tight rules, discuss touchy subjects and sacred cows?
I thought that was the main purpose of MN to begin with...LOL :laugh
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

Wayne in Maine wrote:How about a "can of worms" section where somehow we could, under particularly tight rules, discuss touchy subjects and sacred cows?
The conservative subforum (and, I assume, the progressive one) on MD kinda filled that role, I think.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken