When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Poll: Daylight Saving Time

Total votes: 0

Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Poll: Daylight Saving Time

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote:
Ken wrote:My one concern with keeping DST year-round is that it is really dark in the mornings for kids to walk to school and that could increase accidents.
Easily fixed by starting school later. :idea:
Not so easily fixed by starting the school day later. If you shift the school day an hour later, to say 9:30 instead of 8:30 then you have millions of parents who need to leave for work an hour before their kids leave for school. So you fix that by starting the work day later and then the normal business day shifts from 9-5 to 10-6. And then we are right back to where we started.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Mama
Affiliation: Traditional Catholic

Post by Mama »

Signtist wrote:DST is part of the curse. Especially to those who suffer from SAD. Last year was bad. Really, really bad. Started affecting me in early October. This year I’m ok so far. And that’s certainly fine with me!
Sorry I hope my comment to my husband wasn’t taken as insensitive to you. I was joking to Wade and then looked back and thought it appears really unkind. I’m sorry if it appeared that way to you and I’m glad this year has gone well so far for you. Prayers it stays that way :pray
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
Ken wrote:My one concern with keeping DST year-round is that it is really dark in the mornings for kids to walk to school and that could increase accidents.
Easily fixed by starting school later. :idea:
Not so easily fixed by starting the school day later. If you shift the school day an hour later, to say 9:30 instead of 8:30 then you have millions of parents who need to leave for work an hour before their kids leave for school. So you fix that by starting the work day later and then the normal business day shifts from 9-5 to 10-6. And then we are right back to where we started.
Pretty much, except we are looking at different numbers on the clock, and not walking to school in the dark.

I'm skeptical, though, that most businesses would adjust their hours to follow a change in the school schedule. As long as the school day is shorter than the work day, many kids are going to have some time outside of school and without parental supervision. Why would it matter whether that's in the morning or the afternoon?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote:
Ken wrote:
ohio jones wrote: Easily fixed by starting school later. :idea:
Pretty much, except we are looking at different numbers on the clock, and not walking to school in the dark.

I'm skeptical, though, that most businesses would adjust their hours to follow a change in the school schedule.

As long as the school day is shorter than the work day, many kids are going to have some time outside of school and without parental supervision. Why would it matter whether that's in the morning or the afternoon?
i see these and different things happening.
for instance, gov schools and others offering different forms of child care/activities/sports before+after the regular school day. also, lots of people are working shorter shifts due to increased hourly wages. many are working at home, either part of their day or full time.

children do not walk to+from school as they once did. it used to be most children. no more.
however, DISTRACTED drivers are taking a toll, even in broad daylight, even at school bus stops, everywhere. so many forms of distraction.

i would prefer children not be anywhere around traffic; day or night, distracted drivers jump curbs, cross lanes, ignore, if not defy, school buses. outrageous deaths every year.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Ken wrote: It turned out to be a giant fiasco because every time you would schedule a meeting with anyone you would have to specify: "Are we meeting at 2 pm GOD's TIME or the GOVERNMENT's TIME???" (hora de Dios or hora del Gobierno??) Heh! Eventually the government just gave up and went back to standard time year round.
I like the wording. Now we are back on God's time!
0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Mama wrote:Sorry I hope my comment to my husband wasn’t taken as insensitive to you. I was joking to Wade and then looked back and thought it appears really unkind. I’m sorry if it appeared that way to you and I’m glad this year has gone well so far for you.
No worries, I certainly didn't take it as insensitive!
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

”The Yukon” .. / March 8, 2020
https://www.freshdaily.ca/news/2020/03/ ... me-change/
Canadians will be turning their clocks forward an hour for Daylight Saving Time this weekend,
but it seems it will be the final year the Yukon observes the time change.

On Wednesday, the territory announced that it will officially be opting out of the age-old tradition.

The decision comes after a majority of Yukon citizens said they were in favour of keeping the same time year-round. .. ..

The 2020 U.S. date is also March 8. :)
0 x

UNKNOWN
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Year round DST was passed in the Tennessee congress but must be ratified by the feds for some reason...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

gcdonner wrote:Year round DST was passed in the Tennessee congress but must be ratified by the feds for some reason...
(i believe) states can establish YEAR ROUND STANDARD TIME on their own.
but, choosing DST requires an Act of Congress. Several states are “pending:”

“State Legislation:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) 2019 and 2020 (Carryover, Introduced and Enacted)”
https://www.ncsl.org/research/transport ... ation.aspx
Introduction
In the last three years, nine states have enacted legislation to provide for year-round daylight saving time, if Congress were to allow such a change.

:arrow: Full-time DST is not currently allowed by federal law and would require
an act of Congress to make a change.

The nine states are:

In 2020: South Carolina and Utah (awaiting governor’s signature).
In 2019: Arkansas, Delaware, Maine, Oregon, Tennessee and Washington.
In 2018: Florida (California voters authorized such a change in 2018, but legislative action is still pending).

Legislation in 2020
In 2020, 32 states are considering 77 bills concerning Daylight Saving Time (DST), including “carryover” bills from 2019, as well as new introductions.
Since Feb. 18, 2020, five states—Alaska, Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana and Maryland—have introduced seven bills.

The map shows pending and enacted bills in 2020. .. ..
Will we live to see it?? :D
0 x

UNKNOWN
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

temporal1 wrote:”The Yukon” .. / March 8, 2020
https://www.freshdaily.ca/news/2020/03/ ... me-change/
Canadians will be turning their clocks forward an hour for Daylight Saving Time this weekend,
but it seems it will be the final year the Yukon observes the time change.

On Wednesday, the territory announced that it will officially be opting out of the age-old tradition.

The decision comes after a majority of Yukon citizens said they were in favour of keeping the same time year-round. .. ..
Hopefully the rest of the country follows... Although there are other parts that don't observe it.
0 x