News Chart

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: News Chart

Post by appleman2006 »

I think the chart is pretty good except for the fact that most of the so called mainstream new sources do in fact have a bias. To deny that at this point is simply reflecting a bias. :)
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

appleman2006 wrote:I think the chart is pretty good except for the fact that most of the so called mainstream new sources do in fact have a bias. To deny that at this point is simply reflecting a bias. :)
Of course the mainstream news sources are big businesses, so will reflect the corporate point of view. That's why net neutrality is such an important principle to defend.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

JimFoxvog wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:I think the chart is pretty good except for the fact that most of the so called mainstream new sources do in fact have a bias. To deny that at this point is simply reflecting a bias. :)
Of course the mainstream news sources are big businesses, so will reflect the corporate point of view. That's why net neutrality is such an important principle to defend.
"Net neutrality": can we as Christians believe that such a thing is possible among the human race? Opinions are like belly buttons: everyone has one. :D

After all, we are called by God to share a particular message of salvation through Christ. It's not a neutral message :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Do you agree with the chart that it is "minimal partisan bias"?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

MaxPC wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:
"Net neutrality": can we as Christians believe that such a thing is possible among the human race? Opinions are like belly buttons: everyone has one. :D
"Net neutrality" does not mean people take neutral positions, it means all web pages are treated the same by the ISPs, whether someone in power agrees with it or not, whether true or false, whether it is for the corporate position or is communist or anarchist. The big companies would like their content to be treated preferentially. That is currently illegal, but they are lobbying to change that.

If this page (or a leftist or right wing news site) took 2 minutes to load while CNN took 0.2 seconds, people are more apt to look at CNN.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

JimFoxvog wrote: "Net neutrality" does not mean people take neutral positions, it means all web pages are treated the same by the ISPs, whether someone in power agrees with it or not, whether true or false, whether it is for the corporate position or is communist or anarchist. The big companies would like their content to be treated preferentially. That is currently illegal, but they are lobbying to change that.

If this page (or a leftist or right wing news site) took 2 minutes to load while CNN took 0.2 seconds, people are more apt to look at CNN.
Yes, I understood. That kind of access and download is based upon paid subscriptions and most of the major news sites will have the cash to do it. We already see this exist in the ads placed at the top of search pages. Truly, I'm not convinced that much will change.

Allow me to explore this further. Alternatively, as Christians would we want to see something other than Christian sites? Bookmarks allow us to cache those sites important to us. How much time is necessary to maintain contact with friends and scan the headlines? Christians are encouraged to be patient; a slower download will give us practice :D

To police the internet doesn't this mean that a Big Brother is still involved, regardless of which way it blows? Remember that notion of "societal reset"? Ideological trends swing from one extreme to the other and the Big Brother in charge of policing the internet is going to reflect the ideological "flavor of the moment".

In 80 years I've seen the popularity of different political topics and trends, religious modes and mods come and go. We always say about the weather: "If you don't like it, wait an hour and it'll change." We could say the same about issues, trends and ideologies: "If you don't like it, be patient and it will change".

When it comes down to it though, real evangelization with conversions to Christ usually occur in building face to face relationships, not in the virtual relationships.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Ernie wrote:
Do you agree with the chart that it is "minimal partisan bias"?
For most of those, no. There may be a few exceptions.
0 x