College

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: College

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote:One of the baffling things to me about this is that it's being done in Boston, but that just shows how much I've internalised the "rural is better" mindset.
He is not looking for students with rural interests. In fact he teaches that Christians should be moving to the cities.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Adam wrote:This is where the investing question from the other thread gets difficult. On the one hand, we are not to lay up for ourselves treasures on Earth, but on the other hand, having sizable resources enables us to do things that we would not otherwise be able to do for the Kingdom of God. If someone like Finny were not able to donate millions of dollars to this school, it would probably not happen. So is it ok to lay up for others treasures on Earth?
It's normally the poor people who fall for Hertzler's ideas. They normally have more to gain by it than they lose. I will give credit to a few who aren't that way. But in the past six months I've been very grateful for every penny that God had me save in the time before that.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

lesterb wrote:Wow. Does he have that much money? Like $3M per year?
Just for the record, I think Finny is an example of a rich man who can get to heaven.
I stayed at his place recently over a weekend. He probably lives more simply than many people on this forum.
My bishop in AR used to say that he thinks that if a Christian receives a million dollar gift, his standard of living should not change at all. From what I can tell, Finny is a good example of this.

DD Davis is another multi-millionaire that I expect to see in heaven.
http://www.johnwrinehart.com/the-patron ... zacharias/
Here’s what Davis's accountant said, “And it dawned on me that the first time Mr. Davis ever had a mansion of his own was the night he passed away.”
Finny's parents immigrated to the US two years before he was born.
http://www.goodnewsforindia.org/about/leadership
Finny grew up in a very poor home. His dad had a vision for starting a church planting school in Northern India. Finny traveled with him back and forth to India in his teens as they were starting the school. Different people get different training in their homes. I learned how to raise animals and grow produce in my teens. Guess what I am doing today? :)

Finny himself once participated in a public debate with an atheist and a Buddhist. I think he filled in for Tim Keller who couldn't make the appointment.

Finny attended an Eastern church in MA for about four years, before moving his family back to Boston about 4 years ago.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Ernie wrote:
Just for the record, I think Finny is an example of a rich man who can get to heaven.
I stayed at his place recently over a weekend. He probably lives more simply than many people on this forum.
My bishop in AR used to say that he thinks that if a Christian receives a million dollar gift, his standard of living should not change at all. From what I can tell, Finny is a good example of this.

Here’s what Davis's accountant said, “And it dawned on me that the first time Mr. Davis ever had a mansion of his own was the night he passed away.”
Finny grew up in a very poor home. His dad had a vision for starting a church planting school in Northern India. Finny traveled with him back and forth to India in his teens as they were starting the school. Different people get different training in their homes. I learned how to raise animals and grow produce in my teens. Guess what I am doing today? :)

Finny himself once participated in a public debate with an atheist and a Buddhist. I think he filled in for Tim Keller who couldn't make the appointment.

Finny attended an Eastern church in MA for about four years, before moving his family back to Boston about 4 years ago.
I don't have a problem with this. It was just a brand new idea and a bit of a jolt. I wonder why those kind of people always live in the US? We could use a FaithBuilders or a Sattler University in Canada. Or someone who would be willing to sponsor a scholars and writer's foundation.
0 x
Adam
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Post by Adam »

Ernie wrote:

Thank you for sharing those comments, Ernie. I think it supports the idea that it is not a sin to earn a lot of money. The question is: What are you doing with the money that you earn? Many, if not most people are too easily tempted by money and would not be able to have high earnings and yet live simply and use those abundant resources for the Kingdom. It is just too easy to start justifying extra things for yourself here and there, which quickly snowballs into a luxurious lifestyle. But I am thankful for those who are able not to succumb to that temptation, and I believe that you are right in your assessments.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Adam wrote:
Ernie wrote:

Thank you for sharing those comments, Ernie. I think it supports the idea that it is not a sin to earn a lot of money. The question is: What are you doing with the money that you earn? Many, if not most people are too easily tempted by money and would not be able to have high earnings and yet live simply and use those abundant resources for the Kingdom. It is just too easy to start justifying extra things for yourself here and there, which quickly snowballs into a luxurious lifestyle. But I am thankful for those who are able not to succumb to that temptation, and I believe that you are right in your assessments.
Agreeing with Adam. God will raise up what is needed and who is needed to promote His Kingdom where it is needed.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I don't think the min problem with college is the educational materials/ staff as much as it is the people you encounter. I hear blasphemous and unspeakable things daily from my classmates. I've only had 1 or 2 professors who are blatantly atheist and anti-religion, but they're easy to get past.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
zjohnsonr
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Post by zjohnsonr »

I attended an institution that was far from Kingdom oriented, and it took a heavy toll. I just wanted to give Sattler College another mention on this thread. They are now accepting applicants for the first class in the fall of 2018. Beside Finny Kuruvilla the board and faculty also includes David Bercot among other well credentialed followers. If I were a college bound student I would be doing everything I could to learn from Bercot about the early Christians. Also, Sattler won't be taking any government money or the shackles that comes with it. In my mind it would be on the top of my list for a Kingdom oriented college experience.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Knight wrote:
zjohnsonr wrote:
Beside Finny Kuruvilla the board and faculty also includes David Bercot among other well credentialed followers. If I were a college bound student I would be doing everything I could to learn from Bercot about the early Christians.
Interesting that no one on MN has responded to this. So I listened to an online recording of Finny's talk about Sattler at KFW. I'm guessing a lot of CMs would find what he said insulting, even if they basically agree with him. I also took a look at the website.

For a college boasting about its "classical" emphasis, it's odd that they have no faculty with doctorates in Classics, Ancient History, or Medieval History. I see they are making students who major in Biology and Business take NT Greek and Hebrew, but I don't see that Latin and Classical Greek are offered at all. It's not clear if even a student majoring in History could get a thorough grounding in the languages, history, and literature necessary for well-informed scholarship on the early church or writings like the Church Fathers.

I wonder if Finny is open to Sattler students doing some (most?) of their coursework at other Boston colleges. This way, students could take upper-level courses on Homer, Thucydides, the Roman Republic, the Second Sophistic, Hellenistic Judaism, Augustine etc. and learn how to do apologetics at the same time.

So I think it would be wise to contact Finny and ask him what Sattler really has to offer if you want a degree in History, and then compare it to what other colleges are doing.
Knight
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I think how you are raised will impact how college impacts you. If college is largely a culture shock, a time of great temptation, and intensive academic stress, then it could be bad.
Personally, I find greater trials in other areas of life than I do from attending secular college.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do