Gingrich Woodcraft closure

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Gingrich Woodcraft closure

Post by mike »

Do any of you from Ontario know what happened to the business owners? According to the article linked below, the business was never reopened and the employees all got other employment or moved away.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-b ... -1.3733024
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Gingrich Woodcraft closure

Post by RZehr »

My grandfather was a huge proponent of unions and I know that they contributed greatly to our society in the past. But these are the things that makes me just shake my head and think about how Godliness with contentment is great gain. We had the longshoremen unions misbehaving and mismanaging so badly at the Port of Portland, that the ocean liners quit servicing the port and now the union lost all those jobs.
I recently saw a cartoon showing the management on strike for the union to accept a 10% cut in pay. I think our churches got it right to not accept union membership.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: Gingrich Woodcraft closure

Post by appleman2006 »

Notice how nice and accommodating the union appears to be now. "They want what is best for the owner and the community." Of course they do and they would like this really embarrassing blemish on their record disappear never to be heard of again. One of the largest unions in Canada causes a situation that shuts down a small 25 employee plant in a region where business investment of any kind is rare.

The last that I know the plant is still for sale to anyone that wants to buy it. You would think that considering all the opposition the owners had in making their decision and the fact that the business could now be bought at what I am sure would be a very reasonable price that someone would of made a move to buy such a great opportunity by now. Or is it possible like many of us predicted that the business plan they had, simply did not work with what they feared the union would demand. Or maybe things stand exactly how they stated them which were that they could not see themselves in constant conflict with the union and all that would of entailed and so simply closed down.
0 x