Apostolic Christian Church

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Best Resources for the Practice of Head-covering

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Karstan78 wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Only long enough to get in and out of the airport. The map doesn’t work on my iPad, but I will be home tomorrow and will try it than. My goal in making this detour was to get as many “Hidden in plain sight “ church pictures as I can. If (When?) I teach history, these are an important part of the past. Maybe of our future as well.

I get over here from time to time, so I will post next time I am in Europe. I have some interesting observations. Has there been something going on over here? My wife wears a head covering and it it the first time it was noticed, and placed correctly. Multiple times.
J.M.
This is interesting, what is a “hidden in plain sight” church?
I know there are some headcovering Mennonite churches in Germany. From time to time some of our members have left to join their local Mennonite church. Are these the churches you mean? I know from reading on here that the German Mennonites have almost nothing to do with the North American Mennonites.
The Swiss mennonites, to the best of my knowledge, do not head cover, but I don't know about the Germans. Only ones I have run into have been some of the conservative breakaway dutch reformed.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Post by Swiss Bro »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
The Swiss mennonites, to the best of my knowledge, do not head cover, but I don't know about the Germans. Only ones I have run into have been some of the conservative breakaway dutch reformed.

J.M.
I can confirm that the Swiss Mennonites do not head cover. There are only a few Christian groups head covering in Switzerland amongst which the strict branch of the Fröhlich congregations (called Gemeinschaft Evangelisch Taufgesinnter). Other groups include e.g. the exclusive brethren (Darbyst) congregations but none of these are numerous.
0 x
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Well, it would have been obvious to the casual observer that my wife was not a nun, especially with me at her side.
:mrgreen:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:We never seemed to be noticed before, but a number of Swiss actually courteously approaches us, normally on the train, and asked if we spoke english, than some derivative of "Are you from Pennsylvania." They seemed to be aware of the existence of mennonites/amish, and that we came from "Here." Two of them mentioned some kind of movie. So for whatever reason, there seems to be a higher awareness of our existence and origin. This did not happen in Germany at all, although we spent more time there. One of them offered to show me where Hans Hasselbacher was executed in Bern.
There are a few movies about the Amish that were shown over here. In general people here know that the Amish exist and dress plain and use horse and buggy. They would not know the difference between Amish and Mennonite, I guess. There was also an "anabaptist year" in Switzerland in 2007 where the reformed state church officially apologized for their persecution and murders of anabaptist martyrs. That's when they installed some memorial plaques. This might also have contributed to raise the awareness of the people, along with anabaptist tourists coming over here to see where it all began. Speaking of Hans Haslebacher, you can also visit his farm which is still occupied by his descendants (who are not Mennonite though) who maintain a small museum and rent out a self catering apartment... http://www.haslebacher-hof.ch/de/
Judas Maccabeus wrote:These "hidden" churches are in many ways of thinking, the intermediate state between persecution and religious freedom. It is a place where mennonites spent a period of time, varying greatly from country to country. Here is an example, from Langenau:

[img]]

I hope this works. I have never added photos before. As you can see, it looks just like a residence. There is little about it's construction that you would notice from the outside.
Your link didn't work but I think I know what you mean. Do you also know the anabaptist hiding places such as the anabaptist cave in Bäretswil or the anabaptist bridge in Corgémont? If not have a look at my map (if it works), they are on it.
0 x
plain
Affiliation:

Post by plain »

Swiss Bro wrote:
plain wrote:
Swiss Bro wrote:Nazarene refugees from Eastern Europe settling in Sweden. The location of the first congregation est. 1969 was in Örkelljunga.
So the only Nazarenes in Sweden are in Örkelljunga?
To my knowledge there are two congregations but I don‘t know the location of the second one. Perhaps Karstan knows more.
Do you know this Karstan?
1 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Swiss Bro wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Well, it would have been obvious to the casual observer that my wife was not a nun, especially with me at her side.
:mrgreen:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:We never seemed to be noticed before, but a number of Swiss actually courteously approaches us, normally on the train, and asked if we spoke english, than some derivative of "Are you from Pennsylvania." They seemed to be aware of the existence of mennonites/amish, and that we came from "Here." Two of them mentioned some kind of movie. So for whatever reason, there seems to be a higher awareness of our existence and origin. This did not happen in Germany at all, although we spent more time there. One of them offered to show me where Hans Hasselbacher was executed in Bern.
There are a few movies about the Amish that were shown over here. In general people here know that the Amish exist and dress plain and use horse and buggy. They would not know the difference between Amish and Mennonite, I guess. There was also an "anabaptist year" in Switzerland in 2007 where the reformed state church officially apologized for their persecution and murders of anabaptist martyrs. That's when they installed some memorial plaques. This might also have contributed to raise the awareness of the people, along with anabaptist tourists coming over here to see where it all began. Speaking of Hans Haslebacher, you can also visit his farm which is still occupied by his descendants (who are not Mennonite though) who maintain a small museum and rent out a self catering apartment... http://www.haslebacher-hof.ch/de/
Judas Maccabeus wrote:These "hidden" churches are in many ways of thinking, the intermediate state between persecution and religious freedom. It is a place where mennonites spent a period of time, varying greatly from country to country. Here is an example, from Langenau:

[img]]

I hope this works. I have never added photos before. As you can see, it looks just like a residence. There is little about it's construction that you would notice from the outside.
Your link didn't work but I think I know what you mean. Do you also know the anabaptist hiding places such as the anabaptist cave in Bäretswil or the anabaptist bridge in Corgémont? If not have a look at my map (if it works), they are on it.
Your map works quite well. Interesting! I have, however, been to most of these places.

J.M.
1 x
:hug:
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Your map works quite well. Interesting! I have, however, been to most of these places.

J.M.
Thank you for the feedback.

I haven't been to most of the Anabaptist places myself safe for the ones in the city of Zurich. I'll be on holidays in the Jura region in Summer though, might check out the "Anabaptist Bridge" and/or the "Goats Chapel".

Let me know if you think of some places I should add.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Page 5
Karstan78 wrote: This is interesting, what is a “hidden in plain sight” church?
I know there are some headcovering Mennonite churches in Germany. From time to time some of our members have left to join their local Mennonite church. Are these the churches you mean? I know from reading on here that the German Mennonites have almost nothing to do with the North American Mennonites.
plain wrote:
Swiss Bro wrote:
plain wrote: So the only Nazarenes in Sweden are in Örkelljunga?
To my knowledge there are two congregations but I don‘t know the location of the second one. Perhaps Karstan knows more.
hi, plain - :D
i’m bumping this, hoping to help you get Karstan’s notice. :)
you might try PM or email, too.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Karstan78
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Karstan78 »

plain wrote:
Swiss Bro wrote:
plain wrote:
So the only Nazarenes in Sweden are in Örkelljunga?
Hi plain,

Sorry for delayed response, Internet is not my friend these past few weeks. At this stage I don’t know the address of the churches. Are you located in Sweden? You can pm me your email and when I get the address I can forward it on to you.
1 x
plain
Affiliation:

Post by plain »

Karstan78 wrote:At this stage I don’t know the address of the churches. Are you located in Sweden? You can pm me your email and when I get the address I can forward it on to you.
Yes located in sweden. Not much plain folks here.
1 x
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

plain wrote:Yes located in sweden. Not much plain folks here.
There seems to be a Serbian Nazarene congregation in Malmö.

https://www.zionsharp.info/xap632a-c108 ... rbian.html

Of course, that's only useful if you are Serbian too. :-|
1 x