President Trump: A MennoNet Poll

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

POLL: What do you think about the Trump presidency so far?

Total votes: 0

PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Re: President Trump: A MennoNet Poll

Post by PeterG »

Robert wrote:
PeterG wrote:By the way, there's a great deal of sane, carefully moderated yet unflinching criticism of President Trump from publications such as National Review, The American Conservative, and First Things. You don't have to be a liberal to be concerned about President Trump and his influence.
I have my concerns too. I am not sold on him by any means. I like a lot of what has been getting done and I chuckle at some of the foreign policy actions. President Trump seems to feel that peace through strength is a real thing. I think it can work too, but the carrot is as important as the stick. I have no doubts other world leaders and US citizens are not sure how to take him. This will create unfavorable opinions. Any major change will often create unfavorable feelings. Fear if the unknown is a real struggle for humanity.

I often think of Nebuchadrezzar as I watch how President Trump acts and reacts. We will see if there is a fiery furnace that pops up somewhere.

My opinion. I do not think President Trump is the best statesman. I also do not think he is the worst. I like the direction the government is going. I like some of the policy developing. I do not like President Trump's style and ways of working. I do like his frankness. I laugh at his bombasity, but would not like to deal with it daily. I also know we will survive and live through his years of service, as we did through other presidents. I see no crisis. I think history will look back much differently then we see it daily. I am willing to put up with the negatives because I think the positives of the administration is well worth it, so far. That could change.
I'm not at exactly the same place you are, but what you're saying makes a lot of sense.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Josh wrote:I’m not sure who reads National Review anymore - it seems like the kind of magazine you see a 3 year old copy of in a dentist’s office waiting room.
That has nothing to do with the validity of the arguments found in National Review.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Dan Z wrote:In conservative fashion, he has a small government bent, and has worked at decreasing government bureaucracy and over-reach.
This is true regarding some types of regulation, but overall it's not clear to me that President Trump represents a small-government philosophy. His positions on trade, immigration, libel laws, and (sometimes) foreign policy imply a significantly expanded federal government role.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Robert wrote:I often think of Nebuchadrezzar as I watch how President Trump acts and reacts. We will see if there is a fiery furnace that pops up somewhere.
The fiery furnace came right after the golden statue, and seeing one of those pop up in DC or Manhattan wouldn't really be all that surprising.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Interesting - thanks for all who participated in the Poll.

A couple of observations:
  • 1) The response among the 32 poll participants is spread fairly evenly, with 11 leaning positive in their feelings about the president, 12 on the negative side, and 9 feeling ambivalent. Interestingly, these numbers mirror the general population of white voters who, according to recent polls, show support for the president in the low 40s.

2) Based on comments and the poll, it seems that those who feel positive about the president do so with mixed emotions, while those who feel negatively are more likely to feel strongly about their negativity.
It continues to be interesting to me how people of like mind in so many ways can look at the same thing (e.g Trump), and come out in entirely different places. In this regard, it is a reminder to me that we benefit from each others perspectives if we really want to observe reality broadly. Thanks all for contributing to the discussion so far.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Dan Z wrote:Interesting - thanks for all who participated in the Poll.

A couple of observations:
  • 1) The response among the 32 poll participants is spread fairly evenly, with 11 leaning positive in their feelings about the president, 12 on the negative side, and 9 feeling ambivalent. Interestingly, these numbers mirror the general population of white voters who, according to recent polls, show support for the president in the low 40s.

2) Based on comments and the poll, it seems that those who feel positive about the president do so with mixed emotions, while those who feel negatively are more likely to feel strongly about their negativity.
It continues to be interesting to me how people of like mind in so many ways can look at the same thing (e.g Trump), and come out in entirely different places. In this regard, it is a reminder to me that we benefit from each others perspectives if we really want to observe reality broadly. Thanks all for contributing to the discussion so far.
it has been interesting, i wouldn’t have guessed the differences reflected as they are (so far.)

as to your observation regarding strong negativity, i see it, it surprises me, such lack of grace (in this particular group.) generally speaking, on most topics, i wouldn’t expect that. i continue to appreciate jcm’s observation that folks are strongly impacted by what they are reading.

there is an abundance of negativity out there. so-much-negativity, that for many, the quantity, combined with the sources, are a red flag that things are worth questioning (for both truthfulness+motivation.)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

ohio jones wrote: The fiery furnace came right after the golden statue, and seeing one of those pop up in DC or Manhattan wouldn't really be all that surprising.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

Speaking as a Canadian...

During the primary I was against Trump purely based on what his words and deportment suggested about his character. Not because I believed the allegation that he was racist or any of the other slurs made against him. I am used to hearing that from Democrats or Canadian Liberals so I tune it out.

By the time of the election I was highly ambivalent and if I had been qualified to vote might just have held my nose and voted for Trump as better than the alternative. Or not voted at all.

Based on what has happened since the election, I am provisionally glad that Trump got in. My assessment of his character has not changed, except that he seems to exercise better judgment in practice than what his words suggest. There have been a lot of positive changes made in US government and policy, there are no signs of an incipient dictatorship and no one has pressed the nuclear button....yet.

Why that would be, I don't know. But it may be as F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote: the very rich are different from you and me. You don't get to be a billionaire without learning to delegate: finding and using good people to execute your plans and changing them out without remorse if they don't work out; knowing how to pay for, recognize and follow good advice. The gift of becoming that rich must lie in effectively using others' gifts rather than in relying on your own, and that may be the whole secret behind what has been an unexpectedly stable administration.

Anyway, it's as if there are two Trumps - the one who governs, and when he wants to, makes Presidential speeches, and the one who tweets and stirs things up. As long as the two don't cross their respective boundaries I think we'll be okay.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Haithabu:
Speaking as a Canadian...

During the primary I was against Trump purely based on what his words and deportment suggested about his character.

Not because I believed the allegation that he was racist or any of the other slurs made against him.

I am used to hearing that from Democrats or Canadian Liberals so I tune it out.
i wasn’t against Trump in the Primary, i just really-really did not believe he was seriously interested in being POTUS. this may sound odd, but, i wondered if he was present in order to stir up interest (in a “real” candidate?) why would he leave his ultra-wealthy life to be a public servant?
i was wrong. as many were, for various reasons.

i would enjoy a discussion on PM Trudeau. and, maybe some on differences in U.S./Canada politics/government/media. i’m pretty sure many in the U.S. believe Canada to be a mirror image of the U.S. i do not believe that’s correct. comparisons cannot be apples to apples. (no apple pun intended.) :P
Haithabu:
By the time of the election I was highly ambivalent and if I had been qualified to vote might just have held my nose and voted for Trump as better than the alternative. Or not voted at all.
most in the U.S. do not vote. regardless of candidates/issues to be decided. politicians count on both ignorance and non-voters.
Haithabu:
Based on what has happened since the election, I am provisionally glad that Trump got in.
My assessment of his character has not changed, except that he seems to exercise better judgment in practice than what his words suggest. There have been a lot of positive changes made in US government and policy, there are no signs of an incipient dictatorship and no one has pressed the nuclear button....yet.
sure. further, the surface does not have to be deeply scratched to find exact or similar words stated by his opposition - central difference being, what is chosen to be ignored/glossed over, and what is sounded loudly in mock horror over the internet megaphone.
these men are not saints. none of them.
Haithabu:
Why that would be, I don't know.
But it may be as F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote: the very rich are different from you and me.
You don't get to be a billionaire without learning to delegate: finding and using good people to execute your plans and changing them out without remorse if they don't work out; knowing how to pay for, recognize and follow good advice.
The gift of becoming that rich must lie in effectively using others' gifts rather than in relying on your own, and that may be the whole secret behind what has been an unexpectedly stable administration.
this somewhat aligns with my thoughts of Trump as a sort of snow-plow(?)
he’s a big picture guy, relies on others for their excellent abilities to follow, to continue, to process. “it takes all kinds to make the world go round.” successful leaders know this very well.
Haithabu:
Anyway, it's as if there are two Trumps - the one who governs, and when he wants to, makes Presidential speeches, and the one who tweets and stirs things up.
As long as the two don't cross their respective boundaries I think we'll be okay.
his tweets don’t bother me. i don’t tweet, or listen to gossip/political theater about tweets.
that helps! :D

we will be ok, because God promises! :D
Last edited by temporal1 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote:
ohio jones wrote: The fiery furnace came right after the golden statue, and seeing one of those pop up in DC or Manhattan wouldn't really be all that surprising.
that building is reflecting the glory of God’s golden sunlight. 8-)
0 x

UNKNOWN