Podcasts

Messages, Lectures and talks that relate, or connect to Anabapatist theology.
Frodo
Affiliation: Inter.Conserv.Menn.

Podcasts

Post by Frodo »

Hello all, I would like to know what are some good podcasts to listen to. I have an interest in theology and both Christian and secular history. Please share your favorites and why you like them. I recently started a new job with a fairly long commute and would like to try listening to some good podcasts.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Podcasts

Post by lesterb »

Frodo wrote:Hello all, I would like to know what are some good podcasts to listen to. I have an interest in theology and both Christian and secular history. Please share your favorites and why you like them. I recently started a new job with a fairly long commute and would like to try listening to some good podcasts.
Look up Mike Duncan, History of Rome. He also has a good one on the French revolution and the American revolution. Haiti too, I think. Or try Hardcore History. Some very fascinating coverage on there.
0 x
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I know Weavertown Amish Mennonite church has their sermons archived as podcasts and I think some other churches do as well. If you'd like to go more in depth, some courses on church history as well as secular history are available through iTunesU, which is similar to podcasts but it's free university lectures. I don't have any in particular that I like, but I'm sure there are good ones on there.
0 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

lesterb wrote:Look up Mike Duncan, History of Rome. He also has a good one on the French revolution and the American revolution. Haiti too, I think. Or try Hardcore History. Some very fascinating coverage on there.
Hardcore History (which is not as sensationalistic as it might initially look/sound) and Duncan's podcasts (The History of Rome and Revolutions) are all excellent. Some others you might like—

Econtalk. Wide-ranging conversations with an open-minded libertarian economist.
12 Byzantine Rulers. An overview of Byzantine history.
The City of Man. Two thoughtful evangelicals, one a progressive and one a conservative, talk about politics. The focus is on political philosophy and history more than day-to-day partisan issues.
francis wrote:If you'd like to go more in depth, some courses on church history as well as secular history are available through iTunesU, which is similar to podcasts but it's free university lectures.
Also a great suggestion. I've listened to several of the Yale Open Courses. As I recall, Introduction to Ancient Greek History, The American Revolution, The Civil War and Reconstruction Era, and Introduction to Political Philosophy were especially good. Carl Trueman's Reformation course is fascinating as a glimpse into Reformed perspectives on church history. He doesn't talk much about the Anabaptists because he doesn't find them very interesting. This offends me. :x :P

Naturally, I can't vouch for the appropriateness of all the material I've linked to. Use discretion, etc.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Frodo
Affiliation: Inter.Conserv.Menn.

Post by Frodo »

Thanks for the replies. I have just finished the first podcast in the Blueprint for Armageddon series by Hardcore History and I am definitely planning on listening to more of these. Very interesting! :up:
0 x
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

Frodo, here's some I've listened to: (A second to the Hardcore History as well)
Malcom Gladwell's Revisionist History His opinions or his opinion trajectory may not always be your taste, but the stories are fascinating (and he has some Menno background and this actually comes out sometimes)

The Phil Vischer podcast - evangelical but without the far-right politics... a little silly and acculturated at times but some good conversations at times around current church/culture issues and principled conservative evangelicals not on the trump train. (A breath of fresh air imo)
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Jazman wrote:Frodo, here's some I've listened to: (A second to the Hardcore History as well)
Malcom Gladwell's Revisionist History His opinions or his opinion trajectory may not always be your taste, but the stories are fascinating (and he has some Menno background and this actually comes out sometimes)
I find his podcast super interesting - especially given the peripheral Mennonite connection.

I think his Generous Orthodoxy episode is terribly sad. And the “moral” of the story is actually immoral.
It’s been a while since I heard it, but it’s about a Mennonite minister in his old age choosing to split his church because he decides to side with his homosexual son over truth. And Malcom seems to applaud this.
0 x
MattY
Affiliation: Beachy

Post by MattY »

One podcast I've been listening to recently is Constitutionally Speaking. If you're interested in American history and politics I recommend it.

https://ricochet.com/series/constitutionally-speaking/
In Constitutionally Speaking, Jay Cost and Luke Thompson make the case for the average American to study the Constitution. They both think that for citizens to get the most out of their government, it is important for them to understand how the Constitution works. And their hope is that this podcast can serve as a nonpartisan (and fun!) source of information for people of all political persuasions.
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Faithful through the ages
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God