Antidepressants

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Antidepressants

Post by KingdomBuilder »

The amount of Christians I know on antidepressants seems to grow continually. Honestly, it baffles me. I just dont see how Chistians can, in good conscience, rely on a doctors order to rid themselves of burdens like this? I know I could not. Am I lacking sympathy on this?

What's your take? What's the consensus among CA's?
What should our response be to loved-ones who identify as Chritians looking into AD's?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Antidepressants

Post by Soloist »

Given my wife had some rounds with some rather unpleasant side affects from some horrid meds, I'm rather interested in the thoughts posted on this.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but we have two friends who need to be on medications in order to keep level headed, chemically balanced. One man takes it, and he functions normally, with very little if anything to indicate that he needs these meds. He says that sometimes he starts to think that he could make it w/o it, but deep down he knows that he does, so he stays faithful in it. The other has not been able to accept that he needs this in order to live normally. It is so sad, because he is incredibly smart, and gifted for ministry (having an unusual ability to learn new languages, for instance), but he is working in a restaurant kitchen because w/o those meds, he is living in a haze. It is even difficult to converse with him, because he mumbles, and sometimes does not make sense. It appears that he doesn't even realize the confusion he is living in.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:The amount of Christians I know on antidepressants seems to grow continually. Honestly, it baffles me. I just dont see how Chistians can, in good conscience, rely on a doctors order to rid themselves of burdens like this? I know I could not. Am I lacking sympathy on this?

What's your take? What's the consensus among CA's?
What should our response be to loved-ones who identify as Chritians looking into AD's?
This has been a challenge for me as well to accept this is happening. I always assumed that Christians would not need them and that one way we as Christians, can help those who don't know Christ & need antidepressants or anti-anxiety medications, can help get them to know the Christ who can give us the peace that passes all understanding. Then I started learning that more and more Christians were on these meds- imagine how difficult it is for a Christian to admit they need these! We need to be careful about how to approach this, because from what I have learned there's more to it than the obvious.

Years ago, my hubby had a mini-stroke, coma, sepsis- after a month of hospitalization and rehab in nursing home (in his 40's!) he was 'clinically' depressed. Doctor suggested meds & I had that concern and thinking "but a Christian shouldn't NEED those!) however I was explained that his body was depleted of the right chemical balance after what he had been through. So for a short time he was on the meds and back to his old self- and then was able to get off- I think it was a lesson for me to see that a person's body can indeed lead to this need-

In the CA world, I guess I was surprised when an Amish friend told me his sister was on anti-depressants. Then I heard about other Amish on them-
There seems to be the same problems, in the CA world to some extent at least- I assumed CA's would be free from it. Trying to understand and be sensitive to this without making assumptions about anyone, I know for myself, in very low times in life, the Lord God was my all in all, and reading His Word in the Holy Scriptures, could cause actual heartache to leave-

It is quite controversial, I still would like to see people healed and walking in the joy of the Lord without them, come what may- while realizing there really can be a 'chemical' inbalance within-
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

There are those who have genuine need of these medications in order to function within a normal range. They are unable to do otherwise. They have excellent doctors who have them go through a thorough diagnostic in which other causes are eliminated first before prescribing these meds.

Then there are those doctors who prescribe these meds like so much candy. If the doctor doesn't exhaust the possibility of others causes first, then get I recommend going to another doctor for a second opinion.

One of the more recent findings is that there are those with symptoms of depression who in reality simply need more vitamin D. Once supplemented, they do well. Some people are unable to process vitamin D as well as others and so supplementation are needed.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

MaxPC wrote:There are those who have genuine need of these medications in order to function within a normal range. They are unable to do otherwise. They have excellent doctors who have them go through a thorough diagnostic in which other causes are eliminated first before prescribing these meds.

Then there are those doctors who prescribe these meds like so much candy. If the doctor doesn't exhaust the possibility of others causes first, then get I recommend going to another doctor for a second opinion.

One of the more recent findings is that there are those with symptoms of depression who in reality simply need more vitamin D. Once supplemented, they do well. Some people are unable to process vitamin D as well as others and so supplementation are needed.
You can test for vitamin D with a blood test. My doctor put me on vitamin D some years ago. After I had a TIA, I really struggled with panic attacks in crowds in crowds especially. To a degree, I still do, though normally I can handle it. They put me on anti-depressants for that, and upped the dose several times to get it under control. About six months ago I talked my doctor into lowering the dose a notch, intending to do it again this fall. But I can't. I'm walking along the edge too often to take the chance.

So are some people on this thread saying that if I was a better Christian, it would solve my problem?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

lesterb wrote:
MaxPC wrote:There are those who have genuine need of these medications in order to function within a normal range. They are unable to do otherwise. They have excellent doctors who have them go through a thorough diagnostic in which other causes are eliminated first before prescribing these meds.

You can test for vitamin D with a blood test. My doctor put me on vitamin D some years ago. After I had a TIA, I really struggled with panic attacks in crowds in crowds especially. To a degree, I still do, though normally I can handle it. They put me on anti-depressants for that, and upped the dose several times to get it under control. About six months ago I talked my doctor into lowering the dose a notch, intending to do it again this fall. But I can't. I'm walking along the edge too often to take the chance.

So are some people on this thread saying that if I was a better Christian, it would solve my problem?
I'm glad your dr checked for the vitamin D first. This is what I was describing above as the practice of excellent doctors. They eliminate other possible variables before handing out scripts for the heavy duty meds. We call that "best practice". Unfortunately there are those doctors who aren't as careful.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
sereader
Affiliation:

Post by sereader »

If someone doesn't like this question in this thread feel free to move it. In Timothy Paul told him to use a little wine for his stomach's sake and his oft infirmities. Now I don't use any but I've never been given a good answer whether or not those oft infirmities could have been emotional and mental weaknesses. It seems I've been told that Timothy was possibly a timid type of person. If it was ok for Timothy to use such for those type of issues it would indicate to me that modern medicine would be usable likewise for Christians. I do not think Paul was okaying drunkenness but maybe a lightener if that's what you would call it..If some one has thoughts I'd be glad to hear it.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

lesterb wrote:You can test for vitamin D with a blood test. My doctor put me on vitamin D some years ago. After I had a TIA, I really struggled with panic attacks in crowds in crowds especially. To a degree, I still do, though normally I can handle it. They put me on anti-depressants for that, and upped the dose several times to get it under control. About six months ago I talked my doctor into lowering the dose a notch, intending to do it again this fall. But I can't. I'm walking along the edge too often to take the chance.

Certainly not me. Thank you for your willingness to be vulnerable. It gives me courage to make some admissions as well. I guess they could add me to the list. I'm not on medication, but I have gone through years long bouts of depression, where even on my good days I asked God to take me. And although I have always been a somewhat emotional person, experiences our family went through 10 years ago have made me even more so. So I hear second-hand that some say I "have issues". OK. Don't we all? (Some just never look at themselves closely enough to see it, or they deny it. Or maybe some people don't "have issues". That's great, and I'm happy for them. Seriously.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
CADude
Affiliation: Consrvt. Anabaptist

Post by CADude »

I don't have a particular problem with Christians using anti-depressant and/or anti-anxiety meds. Unfortunately, in the current day, doctors are really quick to hand out antidepressants, often without looking for the real source of the problem. One of my doctors wanted to put me on them for frequent, unexplained nausea. I refused and found another doctor.

I cannot give any evidence for this claim, but I've heard that people from conservative religions are on antidepressants at a higher rate than the general population. I'm not sure I even believe the claim, but if it's actually true, it's a sobering thing to think about.
0 x