Calling people evil or demonic

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Calling people evil or demonic

Post by Bootstrap »

For Christians who believe in the fruit of the Spirit and the fruit of the flesh, when is it appropriate to call someone evil or demonic? When does that look more like living by the fruit of the flesh?

What does "demonic" actually mean? When is it accurate to apply that to someone else?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Calling people evil or demonic

Post by ken_sylvania »

I'm not sure there's a clear concise answer.

Is there a particular situation that you are thinking of?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:48 pm I'm not sure there's a clear concise answer.

Is there a particular situation that you are thinking of?
Feel free to spin out situations that come to mind and address them. Or to use biblical examples.

I see people calling others "demonic" quite a bit on MN. By what criteria? When is that appropriate?
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

The obvious biblical parallel is the demon possessed people Jesus encountered. He seemed drawn to them with understanding and compassion rather than throwing out the term in judgment.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

barnhart wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:11 pm The obvious biblical parallel is the demon possessed people Jesus encountered. He seemed drawn to them with understanding and compassion rather than throwing out the term in judgment.
The Pharisees said Jesus had a demon.

I don't think Jesus ever called the Pharisees demonic. Not even in Matthew 23.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:40 pm What does "demonic" actually mean? When is it accurate to apply that to someone else?
Good question. Maybe we don’t call things demonic enough? What if?

If we don’t know what it means, and don’t know when it is accurate to apply to someone, are we just guided by being nice instead of being accurate?

What is the results of watering down language? Let’s say someone is actually evil and demonic, but we don’t know, so we call it “bad” or perhaps “less than ideal” or maybe something else that minimizes the fact.

We all are scared of over emphasizing the issue, and generally are uncomfortable using that strong of language.
Are there any downsides for a people who consistently and regularly using watered down language?
2 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

RZehr wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:20 pm
We all are scared of over emphasizing the issue, and generally are uncomfortable using that strong of language.
Are there any downsides for a people who consistently and regularly using watered down language?
One of my non-Mennonite employees once pointed out to me that I have a tendency to "make suggestions" or give strong hints such that people from my background understand it as a directive but he hears it as a mere suggestion. He said my communication would be more effective if I would adopt a more direct communication style. I think he was right.
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:20 pm Good question. Maybe we don’t call things demonic enough? What if?

If we don’t know what it means, and don’t know when it is accurate to apply to someone, are we just guided by being nice instead of being accurate?
Perhaps it's best to be guided by being accurate. To define what we mean by the term, and ask when it is appropriate to apply it. Which is what I am suggesting in this thread.
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:28 pm Discussing these type of things in the abstract seems pointless to me, as when it comes to actual practice it seems obvious that we are miles apart even when we agree in the abstract.
I think the Bible is rather concrete. And I see it as the best side. But as for differences in style, please take it to this thread if you want to discuss further:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6714
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

RZehr wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:20 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:40 pm What does "demonic" actually mean? When is it accurate to apply that to someone else?
Good question. Maybe we don’t call things demonic enough? What if?

What is the results of watering down language? Let’s say someone is actually evil and demonic, but we don’t know, so we call it “bad” or perhaps “less than ideal” or maybe something else that minimizes the fact.

Can you think of an example of Jesus calling someone demonic?
0 x