Calling people evil or demonic

General Christian Theology
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Calling people evil or demonic

Post by ken_sylvania »

Grace wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:27 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:48 pm I'm not sure there's a clear concise answer.

Is there a particular situation that you are thinking of?
I think he is referring to what I posted in the thread about Biden promoting the trans visibility day, to which I did apologize.

I might be wrong, but I wonder if this thread is to degrade and diminish anyone who might point out Biden's evil policies and promotions.
The timing would suggest that this is in response to your post but presented as "not targeted at anyone in particular."
2 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:21 pm The timing would suggest that this is in response to your post but presented as "not targeted at anyone in particular."
I am very much attempting to discuss it that way.

Why do you insist on taking offense rather than discuss the topic? I think that gets in the way of talking about things as Christians who care about the Bible and following Jesus. It's a common response here when people ask what the Bible teaches about something that involves our own behavior as Christians.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

boot,
Grace clarified her words.
In response to her clarification, do you agree some words, actions, policies, such as mutilation of children, esp for carnal goals, and/or efficient extermination of unborn human life, as gov policies, promoted+paid with public funds, are evil?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:40 pm What does "demonic" actually mean? When is it accurate to apply that to someone else?
Good question. Maybe we don’t call things demonic enough? What if?

If we don’t know what it means, and don’t know when it is accurate to apply to someone, are we just guided by being nice instead of being accurate?

What is the results of watering down language? Let’s say someone is actually evil and demonic, but we don’t know, so we call it “bad” or perhaps “less than ideal” or maybe something else that minimizes the fact.

We all are scared of over emphasizing the issue, and generally are uncomfortable using that strong of language.
Are there any downsides for a people who consistently and regularly using watered down language?
2 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:21 pm
Grace wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:27 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:48 pm I'm not sure there's a clear concise answer.

Is there a particular situation that you are thinking of?
I think he is referring to what I posted in the thread about Biden promoting the trans visibility day, to which I did apologize.

I might be wrong, but I wonder if this thread is to degrade and diminish anyone who might point out Biden's evil policies and promotions.
The timing would suggest that this is in response to your post but presented as "not targeted at anyone in particular."
I agree. LOL....In other words, targeting someone in disguise.
0 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:09 pm boot,
Grace clarified her words.
In response to her clarification, do you agree some words, actions, policies, such as mutilation of children, esp for carnal goals, and/or efficient extermination of unborn human life, as gov policies, promoted+paid with public funds, are evil?
Good question.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:33 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:21 pm The timing would suggest that this is in response to your post but presented as "not targeted at anyone in particular."
I am very much attempting to discuss it that way.

Why do you insist on taking offense rather than discuss the topic? I think that gets in the way of talking about things as Christians who care about the Bible and following Jesus. It's a common response here when people ask what the Bible teaches about something that involves our own behavior as Christians.
Oh, I'm not offended. Just pointing out what's going on. I understand you like to discuss what the Bible teaches about things that involve other people's behavior on MN, but some of us don't especially like doing that while pretending that we're not discussing specific people and their posting habits.

Discussing these type of things in the abstract seems pointless to me, as when it comes to actual practice it seems obvious that we are miles apart even when we agree in the abstract.
1 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

RZehr wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:20 pm
We all are scared of over emphasizing the issue, and generally are uncomfortable using that strong of language.
Are there any downsides for a people who consistently and regularly using watered down language?
One of my non-Mennonite employees once pointed out to me that I have a tendency to "make suggestions" or give strong hints such that people from my background understand it as a directive but he hears it as a mere suggestion. He said my communication would be more effective if I would adopt a more direct communication style. I think he was right.
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:20 pm Good question. Maybe we don’t call things demonic enough? What if?

If we don’t know what it means, and don’t know when it is accurate to apply to someone, are we just guided by being nice instead of being accurate?
Perhaps it's best to be guided by being accurate. To define what we mean by the term, and ask when it is appropriate to apply it. Which is what I am suggesting in this thread.
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:28 pm Discussing these type of things in the abstract seems pointless to me, as when it comes to actual practice it seems obvious that we are miles apart even when we agree in the abstract.
I think the Bible is rather concrete. And I see it as the best side. But as for differences in style, please take it to this thread if you want to discuss further:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6714
0 x