Biden proclaims this Easter as Trans Day of Visibility

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Biden proclaims this Easter as Trans Day of Visibility

Post by Soloist »

From 2012 to 2014, the Obama administration recognized Transgender Day of Remembrance, a day each November dedicated to memorializing trans people who were killed.

Trump did not recognize either Trans Day of Remembrance or Visibility, and for three of his four years as president, he also did not recognize or proclaim June LGBTQ Pride Month as Obama did throughout the eight years of his presidency.

In June 2019, Trump recognized Pride Month for the first time in a series of tweets, writing, “My Administration has launched a global campaign to decriminalize homosexuality and invite all nations to join us in this effort!
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1262613
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:06 pm Has the White House ever before officially proclaimed a Transgender Day of Visibility?
Biden did the same in 2022:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... lity-2022/
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Ken wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:07 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:45 pm But it's still jarring.

I think a lot of Americans have legitimate concerns about what their children are taught in schools. This is alarming to them. I think Biden would have much better chances in the coming election if he represented mainstream American values.

This is a gift to the radical right.
I'm not sure what mainstream values you are talking about here. But whatever they are, the "radical right" don't hold them. Public opinion polling consistently shows that a majority of Americans support LGBT rights and support anti-discrimination measures that include LGBT people. Opposition to LGBT rights is actually the unpopular political position and the one that is out of step with the mainstream.
As I read the polls, mainstream is in a different place with respect to trans, especially with children and public schools. Mainstream doesn't want the government to tell people what to do if they think they are trans, they want people to have freedom to choose, but they don't want the government to tell them what to believe about trans either.

The idea that your body does not know if it is male or female, and you have to ask your friends on social media to help you figure that out when you reach adolescence, is a little alarming to many ...
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Current Events - Things that are not part of politics happening presently. Seems to me this is in the wrong sub forum where we can ignore these topics using a forum feature. My view.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:20 pm
Ken wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:07 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:45 pm But it's still jarring.

I think a lot of Americans have legitimate concerns about what their children are taught in schools. This is alarming to them. I think Biden would have much better chances in the coming election if he represented mainstream American values.

This is a gift to the radical right.
I'm not sure what mainstream values you are talking about here. But whatever they are, the "radical right" don't hold them. Public opinion polling consistently shows that a majority of Americans support LGBT rights and support anti-discrimination measures that include LGBT people. Opposition to LGBT rights is actually the unpopular political position and the one that is out of step with the mainstream.
As I read the polls, mainstream is in a different place with respect to trans, especially with children and public schools. Mainstream doesn't want the government to tell people what to do if they think they are trans, they want people to have freedom to choose, but they don't want the government to tell them what to believe about trans either.

The idea that your body does not know if it is male or female, and you have to ask your friends on social media to help you figure that out when you reach adolescence, is a little alarming to many ...
Be that as it may, I don't think being anti-trans is the winning political issue that you think it is in 2024.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Ken wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:32 pm Be that as it may, I don't think being anti-trans is the winning political issue that you think it is in 2024.
I didn't say that "anti-trans" is a winning political issue. My guess is silence on this issue is probably a better approach if he wants to win.

Biden's appeal to the voters was to bring things back to normal. This doesn't look normal to a lot of people.

And I don't think what I said before was anti-trans. More like "live and let live", but with room for parents and families to have their own beliefs and values.
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:20 pm As I read the polls, mainstream is in a different place with respect to trans, especially with children and public schools. Mainstream doesn't want the government to tell people what to do if they think they are trans, they want people to have freedom to choose, but they don't want the government to tell them what to believe about trans either.

0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:45 pm This is a gift to the radical right. sane people.
It’s always helpful when people candidly let it be known who they really are, to whom they are beholden.
biden+libs no longer try to hide their twisted agenda. They’re brazen. In Biblical proportions.

Now it’s up to voters to accept reality, to leave the seductive comfort of denial.

Having said that: God have mercy.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:38 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:45 pm This is a gift to the radical right. sane people.
It’s always helpful when people candidly let it be known who they really are, to whom they are beholden.
biden+libs no longer try to hide their twisted agenda. They’re brazen. In Biblical proportions.

Now it’s up to voters to accept reality, to leave the seductive comfort of denial.
Actually, Trump is brazen. In biblical proportions. Against both law and the Bible. I've never seen this same level of shamelessness in a modern president. He glories in his shamelessness, mocking people who care about morality or law, threatening people in ways I have only seen in authoritarian leaders I consider dangerous.

That's the radical part of radical right.

If you think being anti-Trump is the same as anti-Christian, you might want to think about that. I'd like to put Jesus back on the throne. Trumpism is a completely different religion.

Try using Christian language and biblical criteria to discuss these things instead of political fighting word and name calling. It forces you to think differently.
Last edited by Bootstrap on Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:42 pm

Actually, Trump is brazen. In biblical proportions. Against both law and the Bible. I've never seen this same level of shamelessness in a modern president.

If you think being anti-Trump is the same as anti-Christian, you might want to think about that. I'd like to put Jesus back on the throne. Trumpism is a completely different religion.
Trump is brazen, human, flawed, not in Biblical proportions. It’s apples to potatoes comparison. i won’t belabor.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:42 pm

Actually, Trump is brazen. In biblical proportions. Against both law and the Bible. I've never seen this same level of shamelessness in a modern president. He glories in his shamelessness, mocking people who care about morality or law, threatening people in ways I have only seen in authoritarian leaders I consider dangerous.

Try using Christian language and biblical criteria to discuss these things instead of political fighting word and name calling. It forces you to think differently.
What exactly does Trump have to do with this? Have you ever stopped to think about why you have such a compulsion to mention him whenever Grace or Temp criticizes Biden?
2 x