Trans student killed in school

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Trans student killed in school

Post by Neto »

temporal1 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:31 pm✝️
Although this is what I expected to be the cause of death, I am now very sorry to hear that she took her own life. Her grandmother was her legal guardian, so I wonder what all other trauma she had already experienced in her young life (due to absent parents, I mean).

Oh, to protect the children from such horrible things!

[Where is the face icon that is crying, as I am now?]
2 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:25 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:22 pmSecondly, we need to ask WHY transgender people attempt suicide at such high rates.
Suicide almost always comes from mental illness. The "why"? Because they have a serious, untreated mental illness, made worse by trying to live out delusions.
Ken wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:22 pmIs the answer INTERNAL (mental illness as you claim?) or is the answer EXTERNAL (bullying, ostracization, abuse etc.). In that same study from which the 41% comes, the researchers determined that the two biggest reasons cited for suicide attempts by transgender people were: (1) bullying, and (2) ostracization by family. And not mental illness. In other words, external factors.
No, that doesn't hold any water. Lots of non-trans people get bullied but don't go and kill themselves.
Ken wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:22 pm Which leads to the obvious conclusion that the most important single thing we can do to reduce teen suicide of ALL children, not just transgender children, is to tackle the problem of bullying. As well as the second leading cause of suicide by trans kids, family ostracization. And not, as you say, treat them as mentally ill.
Except that folks on the left have redefined "bullying" as "not going along with a transsexual person's delusions". It's not bullying to refuse to pretend a man is a woman.
You can certainly label depression as mental illness. But bullying and social/family ostracization are two common causes of depression. In fact, bullying is a leading cause of depression and anxiety among youth. Which leads us back to the same exact place. That the most common reasons why transgender children attempt suicide are EXTERNAL.

Assert whatever you want. But that information comes from the SAME STUDY from which you found your 41% number. If you think bullying and social ostracization "don't hold water" as causes of suicide attempts then we need to toss out your entire thesis because both pieces of information come from the same source.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I just get so sick of distortions on both sides of these sort of things surrounding trans.

You can have two highly educated people that can’t agree on which data is reliable and it’s such a waste of time…

This data says X

Well that data was discredited and this data says Y

Well that data was based on really flawed study design and bias

It gets really frustrating looking into it and both sides effectively are distorting the truth.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:37 pm You can certainly label depression as mental illness. But bullying and social/family ostracization are two common causes of depression. In fact, bullying is a leading cause of depression and anxiety among youth. Which leads us back to the same exact place. That the most common reasons why transgender children attempt suicide are EXTERNAL.

Assert whatever you want. But that information comes from the SAME STUDY from which you found your 41% number. If you think bullying and social ostracization "don't hold water" as causes of suicide attempts then we need to toss out your entire thesis because both pieces of information come from the same source.
Ken,

Someone who threatens to kill themselves unless I go along with pretending that they're a woman has a major, major mental problem. That mental problem should be addressed, not require the rest of us go along with pretending a man magically becomes a woman just because he puts on women's clothes.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Neto wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:30 pm
temporal1 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:31 pm✝️
Although this is what I expected to be the cause of death, I am now very sorry to hear that she took her own life. Her grandmother was her legal guardian, so I wonder what all other trauma she had already experienced in her young life (due to absent parents, I mean).

Oh, to protect the children from such horrible things! :(

[Where is the face icon that is crying, as I am now?] :(
if only children didn’t know what suicide was.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:13 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:37 pm You can certainly label depression as mental illness. But bullying and social/family ostracization are two common causes of depression. In fact, bullying is a leading cause of depression and anxiety among youth. Which leads us back to the same exact place. That the most common reasons why transgender children attempt suicide are EXTERNAL.

Ken,

Someone who threatens to kill themselves unless I go along with pretending that they're a woman has a major, major mental problem. That mental problem should be addressed, not require the rest of us go along with pretending a man magically becomes a woman just because he puts on women's clothes.
I would venture to say that no one has ever killed themselves because of what you pretend or don't pretend.

But if you are going to actually cite statistics on this topic, at least be honest about what the underlying data behind your own statistics actually show.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:22 pm

Ken,

I would venture to say that no one has ever killed themselves because of what you pretend or don't pretend.

But if you are going to actually cite statistics on this topic, at least be honest about what the underlying data behind your own statistics actually show.
People who believe they are Jesus have a mental illness. Are going to be labeled bigots for not going along with that?

These people need treatment for depression, not surgery/medication to play into their delusion.
1 x
:hug:
Ken

Post by Ken »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:34 pm

Ken,

People who believe they are Jesus have a mental illness. Are going to be labeled bigots for not going along with that?

These people need treatment for depression, not surgery/medication to play into their delusion.
Are people who believe they are Jesus experiencing high rates of depression and suicide attempts due to bullying and ostracization?
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:54 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:34 pm

Are people who believe they are Jesus experiencing high rates of depression and suicide attempts due to bullying and ostracization?
They don't wind up in the psych ward for nothing. We are trying to fix depression by changing reality. Reality will not change. This entire paradiem of treatment is run by "activists" there are even activists among physicians, as you likely know.

You do know that Europe is pulling way back on this?
0 x
:hug:
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I don't care what a person's background "issue" is. Don't mess around when it comes to mental health struggles. Encourage them to get real help.

Trust me on this.
3 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!