Can Anabaptism be Catholic and vice versa?

General Christian Theology
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Can Anabaptism be Catholic and vice versa?

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:42 pm
Sudsy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:24 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:03 pm
Therefore, error must be answered. Roman Catholicism is the chief error of our time.
I have no issue with stating what one believes to be truth in scripture but I also believe it can be done without taking personal shots at one another or another's beliefs. In other words, allow one's beliefs to be expressed and stand on their own and trust God to open the minds of the readers that need to think differently. This is an open forum where perceived heresies will be expressed and are allowed. For example, your last sentence above, would not invite me to read your posts any further, if I was an RC. Just saying I believe the old saying holds true that “you get more flies with honey than with vinegar”.
Indeed and amen, Sudsy.
Disagree. Look at the name. It is not ecumenical net, it is Mennonet. No Roman Catholic forum would permit anything close to what we see here. Heresy May be allowed, but certainly should be confronted.

You kave your “safe space” but are you trying to change everything into that?
0 x
:hug:
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:01 pm
Sudsy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:24 pm

I have no issue with stating what one believes to be truth in scripture but I also believe it can be done without taking personal shots at one another or another's beliefs. In other words, allow one's beliefs to be expressed and stand on their own and trust God to open the minds of the readers that need to think differently. This is an open forum where perceived heresies will be expressed and are allowed. For example, your last sentence above, would not invite me to read your posts any further, if I was an RC. Just saying I believe the old saying holds true that “you get more flies with honey than with vinegar”.
Indeed and amen, Sudsy.
Disagree. Look at the name. It is not ecumenical net, it is Mennonet. No Roman Catholic forum would permit anything close to what we see here. Heresy May be allowed, but certainly should be confronted.
Many Catholic and nonCatholic forums have and do, allow dialog from different faiths as long as it is civil, avoids calling others liars, and proceeds to converse respectfully. Those that allow the printed equivalent of a street brawl have disappeared.

I agree with Sudsy’s assessment.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:16 pm
Many Catholic and nonCatholic forums have and do, allow dialog from different faiths as long as it is civil, avoids calling others liars, and proceeds to converse respectfully. Those that allow the printed equivalent of a street brawl have disappeared.

My experience with Catholic forums and Discord servers support that this isn’t true.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Judas Maccabeus

Indeed and amen, Sudsy.

Just try it on a catholic forum. You will be booted the minute you challenge any catholic doctrine. You have your safe space where none can challenge you. I think you should be satisfied with that. I stay out of your “safe space” I ask that you not try to extend it.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Indeed and amen, Sudsy.

You're correct. I was in a facebook group called "Ask about the Orthodox Faith" and people from many denominations and also Catholics would pust questions. I noticed the converts to Orthodoxy did not have as good of an attitude as cradle born Orthodox who were more gentle. You learn a lot from responses. If dialogue turned to heated arguments they would close the thread. I appreciate Sudsy's post too, he's speaking the truth in love. A reminder to me to check my heart before posting.
1 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:22 pm

Just try it on a catholic forum. You will be booted the minute you challenge any catholic doctrine. You have your safe space where none can challenge you. I think you should be satisfied with that. I stay out of your “safe space” I ask that you not try to extend it.
Maybe peacemaker Sudsy should frequent those!
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Valerie wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:25 pm
You're correct. I was in a facebook group called "Ask about the Orthodox Faith" and people from many denominations and also Catholics would pust questions. I noticed the converts to Orthodoxy did not have as good of an attitude as cradle born Orthodox who were more gentle. You learn a lot from responses. If dialogue turned to heated arguments they would close the thread. I appreciate Sudsy's post too, he's speaking the truth in love. A reminder to me to check my heart before posting.
Tell me, did they have people arguing infant baptism was wrong and were those people tolerated and permitted to speak against infant baptism?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Soloist wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:29 pm
Valerie wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:25 pm
Tell me, did they have people arguing infant baptism was wrong and were those people tolerated and permitted to speak against infant baptism?
Not arguing from what I can tell. Certainly no vehement uprising- question or difference of opinion on how many days old the infant should be-

Tertullian gave a recommendation to wait- but he joined the Montanist Movement
1 x
Judas Maccabeus

Valerie wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:26 pm

If you have no firm beliefs, you are fine anywhere. Just sit in a circle and sing Kim by ya. Everything will be ok until lunch, when the vegans, vegetarians, pescatarians and glatt kosher people get into a tussle. Sooner or later, you gotta make a choice.

I have made mine.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:48 pm
Valerie wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:26 pm

If you have no firm beliefs, you are fine anywhere. Just sit in a circle and sing Kim by ya. Everything will be ok until lunch, when the vegans, vegetarians, pescatarians and glatt kosher people get into a tussle. Sooner or later, you gotta make a choice.

I have made mine.
One can have a firm belief as I do, without the desire to bash others over the head with it. As Jesus said, present the faith and if met with stubborn violence walk away shaking the dust from one’s feet.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God