Texas Baptist Church shooting

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Pilgrim
Affiliation: Baptist

Texas Baptist Church shooting

Post by Pilgrim »

Last Sunday there was a tragic shooting in Sutherland, Texas. 26 people were killed by a mentally person who killed with an semi-automatic weapon. Now many churches are considering what they might do to prevent this from happening to their church. Some are considering letting the pastor carry a weapon. Others are considering having certain laymen carry weapons. Some are considering locking all doors in the building and having a guard at the door.

What are some good solutions to the problem? Should we do nothing and allow people to be killed? Should we have camera's around the grounds to see a potential attack? Should someone be designated to call 911 if there is an attack?
What is your thoughts on solving the problem?

Ken
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Texas Baptist Church shooting

Post by MaxPC »

Yes, we've been praying for the families. I think that looking for a solution or a way to solve the problem doesn't focus on the real issue. The real issue is that as Christians, we can and should expect martyrdom in certain societies. Look at the Christians in China, the Middle East, and elsewhere. Now that our own society has become increasingly hostile to Christianity we cannot expect to be any different from the persecuted Christians in other parts of the world. As the Apostles before us were martyred in the pagan society of their era, we can expect the same. We call it the crown of martyrdom.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

It doesn't seem to be a common problem. The solution is primarily to be open and fearless, remaining faithful to our call to nonviolence. That is what will draw people to God.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Years ago there was men targeting Christians, and those Christians would flee. Some would be caught, and later killed.

My feeling is that if we really felt that we were in danger meeting the way we do, we would regularly change the service time and locations around. I think that we intuitively know that the actual likelihood of danger is so infinitely minuscule that we are rightly doing nothing.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

JimFoxvog wrote:It doesn't seem to be a common problem. The solution is primarily to be open and fearless, remaining faithful to our call to nonviolence. That is what will draw people to God.
AMEN! We don't need to be a closed convent of worshippers. If we can't put our trust in God for our safety, then no matter how many howitzers we have, we won't be protected.
I believe that God allows things like this as a test of our faith and trust.
Stop going to Baptist churches, they aren't safe places to gather.
This is the response of some people, I'm sure.
I guess Jesus should have been packing, then he wouldn't have been taken captive by the Romans and crucified!
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

RZehr wrote:Years ago there was men targeting Christians, and those Christians would flee. Some would be caught, and later killed.

My feeling is that if we really felt that we were in danger meeting the way we do, we would regularly change the service time and locations around. I think that we intuitively know that the actual likelihood of danger is so infinitely minuscule that we are rightly doing nothing.
Our predecessors met danger far worse than this.....yet continued to meet, and indeed preach.

As Dean Taylor once observed in a video called "What if..." "sometimes you die."

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I agree with most of what was said here. The odds of this happening at any of our churches is miniscule, and so far, at least, law enforcement says that this was not motivated by religious persecution - it was a domestic dispute combined with mental illness and too many guns in the hands of the wrong person.

Still, it's worth knowing what the Houston police department teaches about surviving this kind of attack. They suggest trying the first strategy, then the second only if the first does not work, then the third:
  1. Run
  2. Hide
  3. Fight - this is the part we won't do
We won't fight, of course. But even for people who are packing heat, they say you should run if you can, hide if you can't run, and only fight if the first two options are not possible. They also say that in general trying to persuade a mass shooter not to do it usually just gets you shot.

Some churches would call 911, others consider that against their faith.

Being prepared to run, or hide if you can't run, can save you in other places besides church, this can happen in other public spaces. And being prepared to pray is really important too.

And yes, sometimes we die - in fact, every one of us will die sometime. Sometimes we are martyred. Let the way we live in this kind of situation be a witness to our faith.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Bootstrap wrote:I agree with most of what was said here. The odds of this happening at any of our churches is miniscule, and so far, at least, law enforcement says that this was not motivated by religious persecution - it was a domestic dispute combined with mental illness and too many guns in the hands of the wrong person.

Still, it's worth knowing what the Houston police department teaches about surviving this kind of attack. They suggest trying the first strategy, then the second only if the first does not work, then the third:
  1. Run
  2. Hide
  3. Fight - this is the part we won't do
We won't fight, of course. But even for people who are packing heat, they say you should run if you can, hide if you can't run, and only fight if the first two options are not possible. They also say that in general trying to persuade a mass shooter not to do it usually just gets you shot.

Some churches would call 911, others consider that against their faith.

Being prepared to run, or hide if you can't run, can save you in other places besides church, this can happen in other public spaces. And being prepared to pray is really important too.

And yes, sometimes we die - in fact, every one of us will die sometime. Sometimes we are martyred.
Let the way we live in this kind of situation be a witness to our faith.
AMEN & AMEN!
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Hard for me to think of a better place to be when I leave this world than being in a worship service with other believers worshipping our Lord. From an earthly worship service right into a heavenly one.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

I heard tonight that the Southern Baptist Convention is paying for all the funerals. That's one way to show love, I must say.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.