Poll: Gun Violence

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

Check all that apply...

1. I have a family member who was killed by a firearm.
4%
2. I have witnessed a firearm causing bodily injury or death.
7%
3. I have never witnessed a firearm injury and have never had a family member killed by a firearm.
28%
4. I own a firearm and keep ammunition out of sight and at a different place than where the firearm is. (neither the firearm nor ammunition is locked up)
13%
5. I own a firearm and keep ammunition in it or at the same place as the firearm. (neither the firearm nor ammunition is locked up)
3%
6. I own a firearm and keep it and/or the ammunition locked up.
7%
7. I would never use a firearm on a human being.
32%
8. I would only use a firearm in self-defense.
3%
9. If I or my country's "rights" or "freedoms" were threatened, I might use a firearm against those taking away my freedoms.
1%
10. I would go to war as a combatant if drafted by the military.
1%

Total votes: 69

JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Poll: Gun Violence

Post by JimFoxvog »

When I lived in rural Ohio my neighbor across the road was a policeman. We heard him practice shooting regularly. Once when he was out, his son, maybe 8 years old, found the key for the locked-up guns. He got a gun out, loaded it, and while carrying it accidentally shot himself in the gut. A very messy death my sons remembered well as he was between their ages.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

I rifle I managed to shoot myself with was air powered, so I guess it doesn't count as a firearm.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I was too scared to directly shoot my brother with a BB gun.
So i ricocheted the BB off of the concrete (to take so of the power out) and into him.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

RZehr wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:04 pm I was too scared to directly shoot my brother with a BB gun.
So i ricocheted the BB off of the concrete (to take so of the power out) and into him.
How did he feel about it?
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:40 am 4, 5, 6 all kind sort of blur together for me. All my older boys own or have access to a variety of weapons due to us living in the country and pest control can be a year 'round thing.

We I have some time later, I will embellish on this.
For pest control, we use mostly pre-charged pneumatic airguns (PCP). The pellet mags are close by. These are not your Daisy Red Ryder BB guns.

Firearms are kept separate from ammo, for the most part. The only firearms that are kept loaded are locked up, either internally or kept in a biometric safe, or are on my person at the time.

Go back a generation or two and it was common for trucks to have a gun rack in the back window with a gun or two.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

A boy I grew up with (adjoining farm) was shot to death with buckshot in his own home with his own gun. He was in his late 20's.

Several years ago I was standing beside a man at Lowes when he reached into his pocket and shot himself in the inner thigh by accident. The blood ran down his leg so forcefully his shoe filled with blood before he could sit down.
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

For those of you who support firearms for self-defense, or don't want to see more gun laws, what is your recommendation for families like the Davis family who don't want their children being shot in drive-by shootings? I think it is impossible for a good guy with a gun to protect his children in a case like this from a bad guy with a gun.

https://apnews.com/article/machine-guns ... 32bbd54784
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:19 pm For those of you who support firearms for self-defense, or don't want to see more gun laws, what is your recommendation for families like the Davis family who don't want their children being shot in drive-by shootings? I think it is impossible for a good guy with a gun to protect his children in a case like this from a bad guy with a gun.

These are illegal guns and have been since 1968. The only solution here is for law enforcement to start actually enforcing the law.

That means controversial things like profiling suspects likely to have an illegal gun, stop and frisk, no more easy bail, and strict sentencing of violent criminals. All things that have stopped in the last 10 years.

If you don’t want criminals shooting you with illegal guns, the laws have to be enforced against them. That means locking them up and depriving them of “civil liberties”.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:19 pm For those of you who support firearms for self-defense, or don't want to see more gun laws, what is your recommendation for families like the Davis family who don't want their children being shot in drive-by shootings? I think it is impossible for a good guy with a gun to protect his children in a case like this from a bad guy with a gun.

Tell them sorry, but we live in a country in which unrestricted gun ownership is a much higher priority than their children's safety.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:40 pm

Tell them sorry, but we live in a country in which unrestricted gun ownership is a much higher priority than their children's safety.
Could you explain to me how it is “unrestricted” when the firearms mentioned in the article are illegal?
0 x