An "Amish-ish" wedding

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

An "Amish-ish" wedding

Post by MaxPC »

0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: An "Amish-ish" wedding

Post by Hats Off »

Very! Not really Amish, which is why Don calls it Amish-ish.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I'd like to actually see a conservative Mennonite or an Amish wedding at some point... that looks like Beachy from the pictures
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

He speaks of retention rates of young people in a related article, that the New Order don't have as high of a retention rate as the Old Order. What's the retention rate of the Beachy Amish compared to these two groups?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

I've heard 40-50% but I'm not sure
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote:I'd like to actually see a conservative Mennonite or an Amish wedding at some point... that looks like Beachy from the pictures
You may have to attend in person. The last two actually-conservative Mennonite weddings I went to did not have any photography going on.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote:You may have to attend in person. The last two actually-conservative Mennonite weddings I went to did not have any photography going on.
I figured and approve whole heartedly.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

MaxPC wrote:He speaks of retention rates of young people in a related article, that the New Order don't have as high of a retention rate as the Old Order. What's the retention rate of the Beachy Amish compared to these two groups?
That is probably because the Old Order practice strict shunning if you leave Old Order- Well, if you were 'baptized' Amish then leave to another Order- for instance, if you've been baptized Old Order & leave to become Mennonite, you are shunned- getting a car is a huge deal- you can no longer eat at the same table with your family if you go Old Order to Mennonite. BUT if you are not Old Order, you are not met with the same strict shunning and loss of family- so that probably has a lot to do with retention rates. You leave AMish, you cut off many family ties (and that could mean monitary loss as well, I have friends whose fathers told them they would not go to heaven together if they left AMish to become Mennonite, I have also heard of children who knew it would mean no heritage to leave Old Order, and money loss)
Counting the costs to leave Old Order are very high.

Not so much in most of the other Anabaptists groups-

I think this has at least something to do with retention rate differences.

From the pictures it seems like a mix of "Orders" not sure if there are any "Old Orders" in the pictures shown but they said they borrowed from Old Order, New Order, Mennonite and some of their own-

Photography- most Amish I have known, including Old Order, have photographs- was taken by surprise by an Old Order Amish showing me a photo album of her family-
0 x
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

Soloist wrote:I'd like to actually see a conservative Mennonite or an Amish wedding at some point... that looks like Beachy from the pictures
The intermediate/ultra conservative one I went to was a normal church service, except the devotion and sermon are on marriage, the songs are pre-selected by bride and groom, and at the end of the service the bishop marries them.

I was surprised just how much like Sunday morning it is...which is very nice.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Some Old Order go first to New Order, then on from there. It often avoids all shunning.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.