FB: Locked. Government Photo ID

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: FB: Locked. Government Photo ID

Post by Robert »

Haystack wrote:It would be nice if there was a site setup similar to FB but for Christians to keep in touch with friends and family. Share photos, events, sermons, online bible study, etc all in one place.
There is one set up for Mennonites. It is called MennoNet.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Neto wrote:I have noticed recently that it will not allow me to hide or delete certain types of non-solicited posts.
Facebook is a business. They sell ad space. They do not want the stuff blocked they are making money from.

Sites like facebook come and go. Right now they are really strong, but will die down in the next 5-10 years. That may seem like a long time, but int he whole scheme of things it is not.
temporal1 wrote:FB now seems to “crash” without warning, it lasts for varying times. sometimes, i shut down my (ipad) give it some time, then begin again.
I see none of these crashes on my computer. Most likely it is the IPad software or something faulty in your IPad like some bad memory. I would search for the problem you are having and see if a lot of others are having the same issue. If not, then it would suggest it is your IPad itself. If many others are having the same issue, then it is a software issue.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote:
Neto wrote:I have noticed recently that it will not allow me to hide or delete certain types of non-solicited posts.
Facebook is a business. They sell ad space. They do not want the stuff blocked they are making money from.

Sites like facebook come and go. Right now they are really strong, but will die down in the next 5-10 years. That may seem like a long time, but int he whole scheme of things it is not. :)
temporal1 wrote:FB now seems to “crash” without warning, it lasts for varying times. sometimes, i shut down my (ipad) give it some time, then begin again.
I see none of these crashes on my computer.
Most likely it is the IPad software or something faulty in your IPad like some bad memory.
I would search for the problem you are having and see if a lot of others are having the same issue.
If not, then it would suggest it is your IPad itself.
If many others are having the same issue, then it is a software issue.
i did a brief search, i didnt really see anything that seemed to match .. but, now i see this:
Forbes / FB messenger crashing ..
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsi ... 696ceb7a99

in this, there is a mention of a recent update (September) .. and, my problems began, i believe, after this update.

they talk about “the app.”
this makes me wonder if i uninstall the app, then reinstall, that might do it?
not that i’m proficient in that process. i might try it, or, i might take it to a store.

when i receive alerts about updates, i now leave days/weeks before i install the update, to try to give them time to work out system problems. i do not rush to update! plus, i’m not happy with all the results of the updates. they add/remove features, some are good, some i miss.

thanks. :)
for now, i may accept it is a software problem.
it seems peculiar, what passes, what does not.
example, The Blaze has been a consistent problem. not blocked from FB, but definitely restricted from Messenger. on my ipad. i have not tried the laptop.
Last edited by temporal1 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I'm more and more convinced that social media is bad for us, not only will it possibly contribute to the anti-christ ability to act as all knowing, but its a serious influence that has led to the destruction of many.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Soloist wrote:I'm more and more convinced that social media is bad for us, not only will it possibly contribute to the anti-christ ability to act as all knowing, but its a serious influence that has led to the destruction of many.
there are times, after reading, esp comments from presumably ordinary people, i feel very down hearted. it is a “free-for-all.”

i frequently post, “these problems are big, but not too big for God.”
i’m happy to say, these words often receive “likes.”
reading causes me to pray for individuals, and mankind. and, strength for myself. i pray a lot for my own strength to cope. i see things in the world i never expected. so much pain seems completely unnecessary! it can be unnerving.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Soloist wrote:I'm more and more convinced that social media is bad for us, not only will it possibly contribute to the anti-christ ability to act as all knowing, but its a serious influence that has led to the destruction of many.
The printing press had many side effects too. It took 50-100 years for society to reshuffle around the need for literacy and the ability for the common person to gain the knowledge once owned by the elites.

Social media definitely has some down sides. The up side is the ability for everyone to have knowledge and access to others of similar viewpoints. This, too, has side effects, some bad.

Many are starting to catch up with the technology and learn how to better use it as a tool instead of letting it be out of control. More will learn. Some will never learn. Like drug addicts, some will not be able to find the balance and self control. Most will.

I see more and more shift towards people realizing that social media is a fun tool, but it does not replace real encounters with real people. More are using it as a tool to build those real relationships. It will take time and we will make a lot of mistakes as we go forward, but I do see society moving forward, ever so slowly and imperfectly.

I am the eternal optimist though.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote:in recent weeks, FB seems to be restricting The Blaze, and Prager U, also, some of these other sites. i’m not sure of their rationale, which to restrict, which to allow?
Maybe they've decreased, or haven't increased, their FB advertising budget. If you want to see all of their content, go to their dotcom site or subscribe to their RSS feed. Relying on FB to decide what you should see is not usually the best strategy.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

ohio jones wrote:
temporal1 wrote:in recent weeks, FB seems to be restricting The Blaze, and Prager U, also, some of these other sites. i’m not sure of their rationale, which to restrict, which to allow?
Maybe they've decreased, or haven't increased, their FB advertising budget. If you want to see all of their content, go to their dotcom site or subscribe to their RSS feed. Relying on FB to decide what you should see is not usually the best strategy.
I heard at a marketing seminar that the percentage of a business page's posts that are seen by its fans is typically around 17%. The number is directly related to Facebook's "secret sauce" (how many people FB thinks are really interested in the content) and by whether the page pays to boost its posts. Facebook makes money from businesses promoting their content.

Instagram (owned by Facebook) and Twitter do not similarly restrict a business's posts. Likely a part of why Twitter struggles to make money. But it's their business model.
Robert wrote:Sites like facebook come and go. Right now they are really strong, but will die down in the next 5-10 years. That may seem like a long time, but int he whole scheme of things it is not.
It's not dying yet. I get far better measurable customer engagement from Facebook than from direct email and of course from print advertising which is fading in value. I am impressed with the age demographics of Facebook users. This is a social media platform that is being used heavily by people of all ages.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I agree with Mike. As a business tool we find FB to be very effective. Will it still be 10 years from now? Probably not but right now it is still very strong.
0 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

ohio jones wrote:Relying on FB to decide what you should see is not usually the best strategy.
^This.
1 x
"It is a weird" —Ken