Cooperative Missions Run by Different Denominations

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Cooperative Missions Run by Different Denominations

Post by Josh »

Neto wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:36 pm Re: The "Pennsylvania Dutch" Bible: I have known Hank Hershberger for many years. He would not change the meaning of any Scripture, regardless of the fact that he grew up Amish. The men who worked on this translation with him were all Amish.
Can you explain this quote, then?
Misunderstanding God’s Word

“[The Amish] do not understand the German Scripture very well, and this can result in misinterpretation of the Scripture,” Hank says, referencing the Beatitudes as an example.

Martin Luther used a certain word in his translation to mean “blessed;” the same word is also used in Pennsylvania Dutch, but in this language it means “saved.” The confusion of this one word has resulted in a “works salvation” theology among the Amish, Hank explains.

“Instead of ‘blessed are the people,’ it means ‘saved are the people’ who do so-and-so, for theirs is the Kingdom of God.”
If more Amish churches were to use the Pennsylvania Dutch translation, Hank believes it would correct mistakes in doctrinal teaching. While Amish church leaders remain suspicious of the Pennsylvania Dutch Bible, some Amish families are using it for their home devotions.
What denomination, type of church etc is Mr Hershberger in now?

I find anyone who claims the Amish misunderstand the Beatitudes to be a bit suspect against the background of widespread American Christianity that completely misunderstands the Beatitudes starting with Jesus’ rather clear directions to us not to do violence to others.

I also suspect most Amish wouldn’t agree with Mr Hershberger’s claim that the Amish have wrong doctrine about justification and salvation. (Perhaps some New Orders in the past would have, and of course any CA group that embraces Lutheran doctrines about salvation.)
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

silentreader wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:50 pm Few things annoy me more than Pennsylfaunie Deitsch being called Dutch by people who think they know.
The history is interesting here. There was no Germany before Bismarck, and the Pennsylvania Dutch got their name long before that. Where modern Germany is now, there were 300 city states, speaking various dialects, and the names German and Dutch were used inconsistently during this time to describe various dialects. Initially, it was all called Dutch or Deutsch or Deitsch or whatever, that's the Germanic name for this language. German comes from the Latin name for the same language. So if you asked the Germans, it was Deutsch or Dutch, if you asked the Romans, it was German.

Today, the Dutch think they speak Nederlands. The Belgians speak essentially the same language but call it Vlaams - we call it Flemish. In Germany, people who speak essentially the same language call it a variety of other names ... Plattdüütsch, Nedderdüütsch ... in High German it's called Plattdeutsch.

The following content, generated by ChatGPT, matches what I remember from reading up on this years back.
Overlapping Uses of "Dutch" and "German"

During various historical periods, especially before the 19th century, the distinctions between what we now recognize as the Dutch and German languages were not as clear-cut. The terms "Dutch" and "German" have been used interchangeably or ambiguously in different contexts, reflecting the fluid nature of linguistic and national identities.

In the 1600s

- "Dutch" for German Dialects: In the early modern period, the English term "Dutch" could refer to any of the West Germanic languages spoken in the Holy Roman Empire, not just the language of the Netherlands. This broader use is a remnant of a time when distinctions among Germanic languages were less defined. The term "High Dutch" (or "High German") was often used to distinguish the German spoken in the southern uplands from "Low Dutch" or "Low German," referring to the dialects closer to the North Sea, including what we now call Dutch.

- "German" as a Broad Category: The term "German" itself was used broadly to refer to the peoples and languages of the Germanic-speaking regions of the Holy Roman Empire. However, this broad category encompassed a wide range of dialects, many of which were mutually unintelligible.

In the 1700s

- Linguistic Shifts: The 18th century saw the beginnings of linguistic standardization, but the terms "Dutch" and "German" still carried overlapping meanings in various contexts. For example, in English, "Dutch" continued to be used to refer to German immigrants in America (e.g., the Pennsylvania "Dutch," who were actually Germans).

- Standardization Efforts: As efforts to standardize the German language increased, especially with the rise of a cultural movement towards a unified German identity, the distinctions between "German" and "Dutch" began to solidify, albeit slowly.

In the 1800s

- Nationalism and Language: The 19th century was pivotal in the formation of national identities in Europe, significantly impacting language perception and classification. The rise of nationalism helped to more clearly delineate languages according to national boundaries, leading to a firmer distinction between "German" in Germany and "Dutch" in the Netherlands.

- Continued Overlaps: Despite these changes, overlaps continued to exist in the use of "Dutch" and "German," particularly in colonial and linguistic contexts outside Europe. The process of distinguishing between the languages was gradual and influenced by political, social, and cultural shifts.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

silentreader wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:58 am
Bootstrap wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:34 am Do we have people here who are good at Pennsylvania Dutch? Does Selig mean "saved" in modern Pennsylvania German?

Here is Matthew 5 in the Luther and Pennsylvania Dutch Bible:

https://www.bible.com/bible/1455/MAT.5.PDCB?parallel=51

Luther: Selig sind, die da geistlich arm sind; denn das Himmelreich ist ihr.
PDB: Ksaykend sinn selli vo oahm sinn im geisht. Es Kaynich-Reich fumm Himmel is iahres.

How do these differ in meaning?
I would definitely go with Ksaykend = blessed.
I'm not sure about selig. I would tend to think sanctified maybe or holy at the human level. So it could be inferred saved possibly.
There are some differences in PA German usage between some American and some Canadian so how one understands selig may vary.

Having said that, I would accept selig being used for blessed in the context.
Thanks, that's really helpful.

I don't think the Greek word means sanctified or holy ... but this word is hard to translate ... this can give a flavor for that ...

https://bibleproject.com/podcast/what-d ... udes-pt-1/
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:54 pm
silentreader wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:58 am
Bootstrap wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:34 am Do we have people here who are good at Pennsylvania Dutch? Does Selig mean "saved" in modern Pennsylvania German?

Here is Matthew 5 in the Luther and Pennsylvania Dutch Bible:

https://www.bible.com/bible/1455/MAT.5.PDCB?parallel=51

Luther: Selig sind, die da geistlich arm sind; denn das Himmelreich ist ihr.
PDB: Ksaykend sinn selli vo oahm sinn im geisht. Es Kaynich-Reich fumm Himmel is iahres.

How do these differ in meaning?
I would definitely go with Ksaykend = blessed.
I'm not sure about selig. I would tend to think sanctified maybe or holy at the human level. So it could be inferred saved possibly.
There are some differences in PA German usage between some American and some Canadian so how one understands selig may vary.

Having said that, I would accept selig being used for blessed in the context.
Thanks, that's really helpful.
I am by a long shot not an expert, but if I had to differentiate further my own understanding would be that Ksaykend is used for the condition and selig for the person.
The traditional blessing based on Numbers 6 I have never heard other than...(phonetic spelling to the best of my ability)..Dah HA saechnie dich un dah HA beheedie dich..." Bless being a verb I guess.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Josh wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:00 pm
Neto wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:36 pm Re: The "Pennsylvania Dutch" Bible: I have known Hank Hershberger for many years. He would not change the meaning of any Scripture, regardless of the fact that he grew up Amish. The men who worked on this translation with him were all Amish.

“[The Amish] do not understand the German Scripture very well, and this can result in misinterpretation of the Scripture,” Hank says, referencing the Beatitudes as an example.

Martin Luther used a certain word in his translation to mean “blessed;” the same word is also used in Pennsylvania Dutch, but in this language it means “saved.” The confusion of this one word has resulted in a “works salvation” theology among the Amish, Hank explains.

“Instead of ‘blessed are the people,’ it means ‘saved are the people’ who do so-and-so, for theirs is the Kingdom of God.”
If more Amish churches were to use the Pennsylvania Dutch translation, Hank believes it would correct mistakes in doctrinal teaching. While Amish church leaders remain suspicious of the Pennsylvania Dutch Bible, some Amish families are using it for their home devotions.

I find anyone who claims the Amish misunderstand the Beatitudes to be a bit suspect against the background of widespread American Christianity that completely misunderstands the Beatitudes starting with Jesus’ rather clear directions to us not to do violence to others.

I also suspect most Amish wouldn’t agree with Mr Hershberger’s claim that the Amish have wrong doctrine about justification and salvation. (Perhaps some New Orders in the past would have, and of course any CA group that embraces Lutheran doctrines about salvation.)
I do not know German, either one of the German dialects or languages involved, so I do not have an opinion regarding the meaning of the words concerned.

But I do know Hank, and he is not only a native speaker of PA German, but is also a trained linguist. He & his wife Ruth did a translation for an aboriginal group, and worked on his own language in his spare time, on furloughs. Then after they finished the work in Australia, he worked full-time on the translation work here. But I know neither High German nor PA German well enough to make any response on what he is quoted here as having said.

I don't know who is quoted as saying that "Amish church leaders remain suspicious of the Pennsylvania Dutch Bible", but as I know from talking with him, he worked with a translation committee made up of Amishmen, so I doubt if that is true of all, or even most, Amish Bishops and ministers. It is also true, however, that because of the nature of my business, I have very little contact with Dan church people, or Tobe Amish, and certainly not Swartzentrubers. (In the past, when I went to nearly every Mt Hope machinery auction, I often talked with Swartzentrubers, and would sometimes run into one of them later somewhere else, & they are always friendly. More like Okies that anyone else I ever meet in this area.)

But if he is correct in respect to the different nuances of these similar words in the two languages, and if some Amish think that salvation comes by simply following this list, then no, they do not understand salvation. I do not personally know any Amish who would specifically point to that passage. Those few that I know who I would suspect of not understanding salvation think it's just about following the church rules. I really doubt if Hank would have said this as though it is true of all Amish.

As far as where they attend church, I do not know. I haven't seen them anywhere recently, and they may both be in a home someplace as far as I know. (I do not know how old he is, I think several years older than Ruth, but can't put a number to it.) But no, it's not a Plain congregation, because Ruth doesn't have uncut hair, or wear a covering. (She is not from Amish or Mennonite heritage.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto

Post by Neto »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:32 pm
silentreader wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:50 pm Few things annoy me more than Pennsylfaunie Deitsch being called Dutch by people who think they know.
The history is interesting here. There was no Germany before Bismarck, and the Pennsylvania Dutch got their name long before that. Where modern Germany is now, there were 300 city states, speaking various dialects, and the names German and Dutch were used inconsistently during this time to describe various dialects. Initially, it was all called Dutch or Deutsch or Deitsch or whatever, that's the Germanic name for this language. German comes from the Latin name for the same language. So if you asked the Germans, it was Deutsch or Dutch, if you asked the Romans, it was German.

Today, the Dutch think they speak Nederlands. The Belgians speak essentially the same language but call it Vlaams - we call it Flemish. In Germany, people who speak essentially the same language call it a variety of other names ... Plattdüütsch, Nedderdüütsch ... in High German it's called Plattdeutsch.

The following content, generated by ChatGPT, matches what I remember from reading up on this years back.
Overlapping Uses of "Dutch" and "German"

During various historical periods, especially before the 19th century, the distinctions between what we now recognize as the Dutch and German languages were not as clear-cut. The terms "Dutch" and "German" have been used interchangeably or ambiguously in different contexts, reflecting the fluid nature of linguistic and national identities.

In the 1600s

- "Dutch" for German Dialects: In the early modern period, the English term "Dutch" could refer to any of the West Germanic languages spoken in the Holy Roman Empire, not just the language of the Netherlands. This broader use is a remnant of a time when distinctions among Germanic languages were less defined. The term "High Dutch" (or "High German") was often used to distinguish the German spoken in the southern uplands from "Low Dutch" or "Low German," referring to the dialects closer to the North Sea, including what we now call Dutch.

- "German" as a Broad Category: The term "German" itself was used broadly to refer to the peoples and languages of the Germanic-speaking regions of the Holy Roman Empire. However, this broad category encompassed a wide range of dialects, many of which were mutually unintelligible.

In the 1700s

- Linguistic Shifts: The 18th century saw the beginnings of linguistic standardization, but the terms "Dutch" and "German" still carried overlapping meanings in various contexts. For example, in English, "Dutch" continued to be used to refer to German immigrants in America (e.g., the Pennsylvania "Dutch," who were actually Germans).

- Standardization Efforts: As efforts to standardize the German language increased, especially with the rise of a cultural movement towards a unified German identity, the distinctions between "German" and "Dutch" began to solidify, albeit slowly.

In the 1800s

- Nationalism and Language: The 19th century was pivotal in the formation of national identities in Europe, significantly impacting language perception and classification. The rise of nationalism helped to more clearly delineate languages according to national boundaries, leading to a firmer distinction between "German" in Germany and "Dutch" in the Netherlands.

- Continued Overlaps: Despite these changes, overlaps continued to exist in the use of "Dutch" and "German," particularly in colonial and linguistic contexts outside Europe. The process of distinguishing between the languages was gradual and influenced by political, social, and cultural shifts.
I think that it is revealing that most of these notes are from the perspective of outsiders. It follows that there would be "confusion" or over-lap between terms that might be used much more distinctively by the people themselves.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Neto wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:50 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:00 pm

I do not know German, either one of the German dialects or languages involved, so I do not have an opinion regarding the meaning of the words concerned.

But I do know Hank, and he is not only a native speaker of PA German, but is also a trained linguist. He & his wife Ruth did a translation for an aboriginal group, and worked on his own language in his spare time, on furloughs. Then after they finished the work in Australia, he worked full-time on the translation work here. But I know neither High German nor PA German well enough to make any response on what he is quoted here as having said.

I don't know who is quoted as saying that "Amish church leaders remain suspicious of the Pennsylvania Dutch Bible", but as I know from talking with him, he worked with a translation committee made up of Amishmen, so I doubt if that is true of all, or even most, Amish Bishops and ministers. It is also true, however, that because of the nature of my business, I have very little contact with Dan church people, or Tobe Amish, and certainly not Swartzentrubers. (In the past, when I went to nearly every Mt Hope machinery auction, I often talked with Swartzentrubers, and would sometimes run into one of them later somewhere else, & they are always friendly. More like Okies that anyone else I ever meet in this area.)

But if he is correct in respect to the different nuances of these similar words in the two languages, and if some Amish think that salvation comes by simply following this list, then no, they do not understand salvation. I do not personally know any Amish who would specifically point to that passage. Those few that I know who I would suspect of not understanding salvation think it's just about following the church rules. I really doubt if Hank would have said this as though it is true of all Amish.

As far as where they attend church, I do not know. I haven't seen them anywhere recently, and they may both be in a home someplace as far as I know. (I do not know how old he is, I think several years older than Ruth, but can't put a number to it.) But no, it's not a Plain congregation, because Ruth doesn't have uncut hair, or wear a covering. (She is not from Amish or Mennonite heritage.)
I do not have personal contact with OO Amish people but I do with OO Mennonite people and I think some of the difficulties are probably similar.
They are very reticent about putting words to their salvation because they have grown up being warned that speaking clearly about assurance shows pride and needs to be avoided. Because of that, the wording to speak of their own salvation is somewhat unfamiliar to many of them. So they may say the wrong things sometimes inadvertently.
Some (just like some of 'us') may not understand salvation, some may believe a works salvation. As the years go by I see more that have salvation but are not able maybe to put it in the words we might expect, until you sit down with them in a non-confrontational way and discuss it.
The idea of the need to focus on evangelizing OOs carries a bit of baggage in my mind.

But I am not against supplying them with legitimate tools to help them evangelize or disciple among themselves where it is needed.
2 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Neto

Post by Neto »

silentreader wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:41 pm I do not have personal contact with OO Amish people but I do with OO Mennonite people and I think some of the difficulties are probably similar.
They are very reticent about putting words to their salvation because they have grown up being warned that speaking clearly about assurance shows pride and needs to be avoided. Because of that, the wording to speak of their own salvation is somewhat unfamiliar to many of them. So they may say the wrong things sometimes inadvertently.
Some (just like some of 'us') may not understand salvation, some may believe a works salvation. As the years go by I see more that have salvation but are not able maybe to put it in the words we might expect, until you sit down with them in a non-confrontational way and discuss it.
The idea of the need to focus on evangelizing OOs carries a bit of baggage in my mind.
If by "evangelizing" them you mean "trying to get them to leave the Amish", then I agree. I did think that way years ago. When I first started interacting with Amish business owners I did meet some who were only interested in money, and more money. Then I would think "This would be a good place to start a church plant". Why there? because our own congregation is so heavily former Amish, that I thought that was our mission as a congregation. But as I met more and more Amish businessmen who were openly evangelistic themselves (in the sense of wanting others to understand the Gospel, to be free of the tyranny of sin), I saw that the Gospel can come into the Amish congregations to stay, that the best way is the same as it was for the Banawa, to allow God to work from within the culture, transforming the people, just as we all must be transformed. Since then I just concentrate on fellowship with those who are daily walking with Jesus, and offer fellowship to those who are a bit more distant. I actually think that we ought to always be "evangelizing" one another, that is, speaking the words of the Good News to one another. Not in accusatory ways, but in fulfilling the command to urge one another on to a pure faith that does good works. I think that if we urge one another TOWARD holiness it will do a whole lot more good that urging one another AWAY FROM evil - doing 'positive evangelization' of one another instead.

What you say about not knowing how to describe their faith w/o sounding proud is also a point well taken. They are relating to me "on my turf", so to speak, because I do not speak PA German well, or even understand anywhere near all of it. We also have people in our congregation who appear to believe that one becomes a part of the Body of Christ through Faith, but that then one must maintain it through works. And these people, the ones who can articulate their understanding that way, they are not former Amish, generally not even of Amish parents. I would imagine that those kinds of statements would sound just as proud to some Amish as if to claim 'salvation security'.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Neto wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:50 pm I don't know who is quoted as saying that "Amish church leaders remain suspicious of the Pennsylvania Dutch Bible"
That would be a staff writer at WBT who wrote the press release.
, but as I know from talking with him, he worked with a translation committee made up of Amishmen, so I doubt if that is true of all, or even most, Amish Bishops and ministers. It is also true, however, that because of the nature of my business, I have very little contact with Dan church people, or Tobe Amish, and certainly not Swartzentrubers. (In the past, when I went to nearly every Mt Hope machinery auction, I often talked with Swartzentrubers, and would sometimes run into one of them later somewhere else, & they are always friendly. More like Okies that anyone else I ever meet in this area.)

But the problem here is that Hank indeed did say that, and was willing to be quoted in a press release as saying that. He is literally saying that many Amish have the "wrong" doctrine of salvation because of the translation of 1 word.

And he also literally said one of his goals is to put out a translation that persuades Amish people to a different view of salvation; in effect, a more forceful promotion of Luther's sola fide. It seems very suspect to me to protest that Luther's own translation doesn't forcefully promote Luther's view on salvation enough.
That also adds to my suspicion, because it really does sound to me like a non-Anabaptist is trying to use various avenues to try to change the doctrine of Anabaptists to... something else.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Josh wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:33 pm
Neto wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:50 pm I don't know who is quoted as saying that "Amish church leaders remain suspicious of the Pennsylvania Dutch Bible"
That would be a staff writer at WBT who wrote the press release.
, but as I know from talking with him, he worked with a translation committee made up of Amishmen, so I doubt if that is true of all, or even most, Amish Bishops and ministers. It is also true, however, that because of the nature of my business, I have very little contact with Dan church people, or Tobe Amish, and certainly not Swartzentrubers. (In the past, when I went to nearly every Mt Hope machinery auction, I often talked with Swartzentrubers, and would sometimes run into one of them later somewhere else, & they are always friendly. More like Okies that anyone else I ever meet in this area.)

But the problem here is that Hank indeed did say that, and was willing to be quoted in a press release as saying that. He is literally saying that many Amish have the "wrong" doctrine of salvation because of the translation of 1 word.

And he also literally said one of his goals is to put out a translation that persuades Amish people to a different view of salvation; in effect, a more forceful promotion of Luther's sola fide. It seems very suspect to me to protest that Luther's own translation doesn't forcefully promote Luther's view on salvation enough.
That also adds to my suspicion, because it really does sound to me like a non-Anabaptist is trying to use various avenues to try to change the doctrine of Anabaptists to... something else.
We were interviewed by a journalist from area newspaper before, and we were misquoted. The story contained all sorts of errors. (The author had promised that she would let us proof read it before it was published, but she didn't do that.)

When we were starting the airstrip project in the Banawa, a WBT staff writer took parts of a report I wrote about the first phase, and completely turned it around, making it say exactly the opposite of what I actually wrote. Then they wrote an entire "letter" in the first person, as though I had written it, and published it in the WBT news paper. In this 'letter' "I" claimed full responsibility for everything the group had accomplished. I wasn't even the project supervisor, just one of the workers. This caused a lot of hard feelings, and some of those people may have never believed that I actually hadn't written that. After I saw it (they didn't ask me to look it over before publication) I wrote a thank you letter for publication in the next (monthly) issue, clarifying and correcting all of the false information that had been in the first project article. They never published any part of it.

What I'm saying is that unless I actually heard Hank say those exact words, I will not assume that he did. WBT DOES have an 'Evangelical" twist to it - I do not dispute that. I might have mentioned this here before, but we had the reputation in WBT Brazil of being 'legalists', perhaps mostly because my wife always wore a veiling. During the first translation checking workshop I participated in, one of the translation consultants mentioned a simple language commentary on I Corinthians that was being written for use in the English-speaking South American country, over on the east coast. (I forget the name.) During the break after that meeting, I asked how chapter 11 was handled. The woman who had given that talk had, unbeknownst to me, grown up in some conservative Protestant group that required that the women not cut their hair. At some time before we arrived on the field, she had cancer, and lost all of her hair. After it grew back she never let it grow long again. So when I asked that question, she came unglued. She & her husband had been the consultants who were working with me (this was on the very first translated passages I had done), and then she asked me if I could still work with them. All of the "explosion" was right in front of all of the workshop participants, and another translator actually defended me, even though he didn't agree with our position on that Scripture, either. I had no idea my question would stir up something like that. I just wanted to know if the author had presented both interpretations openly, and then just give the pros & cons for each one. That is how a translation aid should be written - as an exegetical commentary, not as a devotional commentary.

Years later the head of the translation department told me that I could only translate either Romans or Hebrews for the next book I would do. (I had already started on I Corinthians at that point.) No other translator was ever told anything like that - the choice of order of translation was always up to the translation team. And I hadn't actually chosen to do it next because of chapter 11 - I was doing the different books in the order in which most scholars believe they were originally written. (That is, after I had first done Luke and Acts, as a historical framework for the rest of the NT.)

I always end up saying much more than I intend to write. There was one other thing I came back on here to say. That is that, from my friendships and fellowship with Amish men, I would suggest that just because a person doesn't say it out loud - that they "have assurance of salvation", doesn't mean that they do not actually have that assurance or confidence. But it is a confidence in God, not in self. And they won't say it out loud; FEELING that assurance is not necessarily the issue, it is the saying it. There are quiet ways of encouraging one another toward that 'rest', and in my conversations with these men their peace with God comes across clearly to me.
0 x